Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WTD: VPN over GPRS genius

WTD: VPN over GPRS genius

Shane Hobson

Problem:

I manage a bunch of devices connected to together on a private IP network
running on a 192.x.x.x range. The devices do not communicate to the
outside world.
They cannot be managed via telnet or web, only through a specfic
management application.

I use a laptop for all the management work on these devices, which is
connected to the network via ethernet and assigned a 192.x.x.x address.

The laptop has a Vodafone Connect Card (GPRS data connection) which
enables it to browse the web through GPRS, but currently cannot connect to
my network.

I want to be able to establish a VPN through GPRS to my network, so that
the laptop appears to be plugged into the network and is on a 192.x.x.x
address.

Can anyone out there make this work ?

I have asked before and been sent numerious suggestions from people who
have ideas about how to make it work, but haven't actually done it.

I don't have time to muddle through this myself. My preference is to pay
someone to make it work.

Laptop is running XP Pro. I can provide a Windows/Linux PC or hardware VPN
router on the edge of the network if required. The network does connect to
the internet.

thanks
shane

ph 021 742 634

Kent Smith

"Shane Hobson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Problem:
>
> I manage a bunch of devices connected to together on a private IP network
> running on a 192.x.x.x range. The devices do not communicate to the
> outside world.
> They cannot be managed via telnet or web, only through a specfic
> management application.
>
> I use a laptop for all the management work on these devices, which is
> connected to the network via ethernet and assigned a 192.x.x.x address.
>
> The laptop has a Vodafone Connect Card (GPRS data connection) which
> enables it to browse the web through GPRS, but currently cannot connect to
> my network.
>
> I want to be able to establish a VPN through GPRS to my network, so that
> the laptop appears to be plugged into the network and is on a 192.x.x.x
> address.
>
> Can anyone out there make this work ?
>
> I have asked before and been sent numerious suggestions from people who
> have ideas about how to make it work, but haven't actually done it.
>
> I don't have time to muddle through this myself. My preference is to pay
> someone to make it work.
>
> Laptop is running XP Pro. I can provide a Windows/Linux PC or hardware VPN
> router on the edge of the network if required. The network does connect to
> the internet.

So do you want to manage your network from the Internet using GPRS or do you
want to manage your network directly using GPRS without the Internet?

You say "The devices do not communicate to the outside world." and "The
network does connect to the internet". Which is it?

-KENT

Shane Hobson

Hi Kent,

I emailed you directly, did that arrive ?
shane

> So do you want to manage your network from the Internet using GPRS or do you
> want to manage your network directly using GPRS without the Internet?
>
> You say "The devices do not communicate to the outside world." and "The
> network does connect to the internet". Which is it?
>
> -KENT

Ian Boag

You could always add a "controller" PC to yr network then access it
remotely with something secure like GoToMyPC or Remote-Anything ...

They both call OUT rather than waiting for calls in. Makes them pretty
damn hard to hack/hijack.

IB

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Shane Hobson) wrote:

>Hi Kent,
>
>I emailed you directly, did that arrive ?
>shane
>

>> So do you want to manage your network from the Internet using GPRS or do you
>> want to manage your network directly using GPRS without the Internet?
>>
>> You say "The devices do not communicate to the outside world." and "The
>> network does connect to the internet". Which is it?
>>
>> -KENT

Shannon

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:15:01 +1300, "Kent Smith"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Shane Hobson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Problem:
>>
>> I manage a bunch of devices connected to together on a private IP network
>> running on a 192.x.x.x range. The devices do not communicate to the
>> outside world.
>> They cannot be managed via telnet or web, only through a specfic
>> management application.
>>
>> I use a laptop for all the management work on these devices, which is
>> connected to the network via ethernet and assigned a 192.x.x.x address.
>>
>> The laptop has a Vodafone Connect Card (GPRS data connection) which
>> enables it to browse the web through GPRS, but currently cannot connect to
>> my network.
>>
>> I want to be able to establish a VPN through GPRS to my network, so that
>> the laptop appears to be plugged into the network and is on a 192.x.x.x
>> address.

You'll need Proxy ARP if your laptop needs a 192 address. But I think
the Windows 2000 RRAS (as the VPN server) does this automatically. If
you do it with Linux, you'd have to be careful about that.

>> Can anyone out there make this work ?
>>
>> I have asked before and been sent numerious suggestions from people who
>> have ideas about how to make it work, but haven't actually done it.
>>
>> I don't have time to muddle through this myself. My preference is to pay
>> someone to make it work.
>>
>> Laptop is running XP Pro. I can provide a Windows/Linux PC or hardware VPN
>> router on the edge of the network if required. The network does connect to
>> the internet.
>>

>So do you want to manage your network from the Internet using GPRS or do you
>want to manage your network directly using GPRS without the Internet?

GPRS would only allow Internet connections, wouldn't it?. I imagine
using GPRS without the Internet would be infesable.

>You say "The devices do not communicate to the outside world." and "The
>network does connect to the internet". Which is it?

It's easy enough to have devices on an internal LAN using the 192.168
subnet that don't talk to the internet at large, but one box connected
to this subnet is also connected to the Internet and allows VPN
connections from the 'net into the local 192.168 subnet.

I understand what the OP is trying to do - and I'm 99% sure it's
possible. Unfortunatly, all I can say at this point is I know it's
possble in theory without having done it personally, but I'll ask
coworkers on Monday to see if we have done what you're asking - I am
pretty sure we have done what you want, using PPTP over GPRS and
Windows 2000 Server "Routing and Remote Access" as the VPN server.
(And we'd have been using an external cellphone over bluetooth instead
of onboard GPRS card.)

Tony

The answer to the question is -

change your "uin" from www.vodaphone.co.nz to "internet"

vodaphone uses really crap network devices for NAT (network address
translation) that can't support ms pptp ( vpn ) or ipsec. Use the "internet"
uin and you get a "real world" ip, and everything works ( no protection
though )

Shane Hobson

thanks tony

Tony

One thing to note, the "internet" uin only works in NZ, if you travel
overseas you need to change it back to www.vodaphone.co.nz

> thanks tony

Shannon

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:07:59 +1300, "Tony"
<tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit@removethisb it.tonyw.com> wrote:

>One thing to note, the "internet" uin only works in NZ, if you travel
>overseas you need to change it back to www.vodaphone.co.nz
>
>"Shane Hobson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> thanks tony

Coworker mentions "live.vodafone.co.nz" as another possibility.
Apparently that one worked in .au (using Vodafone Au.). YMMV.

Anyway, we have actually done it (PPTP over GPRS) so yep, if you have
questions, you can email me. This address should work (once umunged).

VOIP over GPRS/3G amp is UK VOIP 9 10-17-2008 07:47 PM
XML over GPRS - Is this a good idea????? iKiLL ASP .Net Mobile 5 12-21-2006 05:22 PM
XML over GPRS - Is this a good idea????? iKiLL ASP .Net Web Services 5 12-21-2006 05:22 PM
VoIP over GPRS neska VOIP 2 02-11-2004 11:24 PM

Advertisments