Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB2 with XP without SP1?

USB2 with XP without SP1?

~misfit~

I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and doesn't
want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states that SP1 is
needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a patch or some other
way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?

Many thanks,
--
~misfit~

dOTdASH

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:6hGvb.5888$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and

doesn't
> want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states that SP1 is
> needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a patch or some

other
> way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
>
> Many thanks,
> --
> ~misfit~

what's the problem with SP1 ?

~misfit~

dOTdASH wrote:
> "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
> news:6hGvb.5888$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and
>> doesn't want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states
>> that SP1 is needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a
>> patch or some other way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

> what's the problem with SP1 ?

Don't know, just that the customer doesn't want it. Paranoia of some
description maybe. He's using the early retail version and is quite happy
with it, he has the critical updates on CDR.
--
~misfit~

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:49:49 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
wrote:

>I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and doesn't
>want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states that SP1 is
>needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a patch or some other
>way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
>
>Many thanks,
>--
>~misfit~

When I installed my USB2.0 card it came with its own drivers for XP -
just like the old days when Windows didn't recognise half the hardware
around.

R-Slicks

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:42:44 -0800, "The Flash"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snipped>

>If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
>first place?
>
>Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

And that leaves, what, exactly ?
--
DO NOT reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

Jerry

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:58:05 +1300, R-Slicks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:42:44 -0800, "The Flash"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><snipped>
>
>>If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
>>first place?
>>
>>Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

>And that leaves, what, exactly ?

MVS is secure

Jerry

nobody760

dOTdASH

snip

> The only reason people don't run SP1 is that the version of xp they have

is
> a corp edition and has been banned by microsoft.

My experience has been the same, people who don't want SP1 tend to be using
dodgy copies with one of the leaked keys. If I had to pay for my copies I
don't see why they shouldn't do the same.

dOTdASH

snip

> Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

The only *truly* secure OS is one running on a non-networked PC which is
locked in a vault where nobody can access it. Any other configuration is, by
definition, insecure.

~misfit~

dOTdASH wrote:
> snip
>>
>> The only reason people don't run SP1 is that the version of xp they
>> have is a corp edition and has been banned by microsoft.
>>

> My experience has been the same, people who don't want SP1 tend to be
> using dodgy copies with one of the leaked keys. If I had to pay for
> my copies I don't see why they shouldn't do the same.

Well, sorry to dissapoint but this is a legit copy. It just belongs to an
older person who is sick and tired of the MS merry-go-around. He tells me
he's upgraded from/to MS OS's over the years and each time has been a PITA.
He's happy with what he had before (says it's the last iteration of MS
software he'll ever use) but now he's got a new mobo with USB2 support
(which he wanted) he's ****ed that it needs sp1 to function and asked me to
look for alternatives.

No sweat. he's more of a friend than a customer, I only build/upgrade
computers as a hobby (He's just had a beast killed and has given me some
meat for doing it, usually I just get to keep the old parts), mainly because
I enjoy it and also I'm sick of hearing just how much some of my
friends/aquaintances have paid for such simple things as having a stick of
RAM installed. In fact this guy had his RAM bumped up a while ago and a
month or so later had stability problems. I opened it up and the HSF was
chock-full of dust! He'd just paid $200 to have his machine serviced and
have 128MB of RAM fitted (which he paid for on top of the service fee, at a
vastly inflated price, twice what I could get it for at any number of
stores) and they hadn't even cleaned the dust out of the machine. I bet they
hadn't even dusted the RAM slot before they put the new module in. It's a
good job I had my soft paint-brushes with me (can't afford canned air). He
doesn't deal with them anymore after I showed him his CPU heatsink
pre-cleaning. The fan could only just spin there was that much dust in it.
The cynic in me tells me it was deliberately left like that so they'd get
another service call soon. The only problem is word of mouth, I am getting
more people asking me to look at their PCs as they know I'm honest and
charge bugger-all for it. I turn a lot down, if they can't afford to get it
fixed elsewhere I'll usually do it. Especially if they have kids. Nowhere
near enough to make a business of it, even if I was physically capable of
it, but enough to keep me busy.

Anyway, I digress, as usual.
--
~misfit~