Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB2 with XP without SP1?

USB2 with XP without SP1?

Enkidu

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:05:26 +1300, "dOTdASH"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>snip
>>
>> Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.
>>

>The only *truly* secure OS is one running on a non-networked PC which is
>locked in a vault where nobody can access it. Any other configuration is, by
>definition, insecure.

You forgot - it must also be powered off, and encased in concrete.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

R-Slicks

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:45:59 +1300, Jerry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:58:05 +1300, R-Slicks <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:42:44 -0800, "The Flash"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>><snipped>
>>
>>>If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
>>>first place?
>>>
>>>Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

>>And that leaves, what, exactly ?

>MVS is secure
>
>Jerry

Yep. Good choice for an easy to use highly compatible desktop OS...!
Where you from again ? Jupiter ? Oh. Gotcha. Nice there this time of
year ? Riiight... thought so.
--
DO NOT reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

Mpaintnz

"dOTdASH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YkPvb.6267$(E-Mail Removed)...
> snip
> >
> > Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.
> >

> The only *truly* secure OS is one running on a non-networked PC which is
> locked in a vault where nobody can access it. Any other configuration is,

by
> definition, insecure.

"The best way to secure a PC is to prevent it from using the internet, thats
why we recommend using Xtra.."
(apologies to Bash)

The Flash

USB2 can work in XP unservicepacked, however it requires using an unsigned
drive and a bit of a registry fiddle. As both are naughty under XP I would
hesitate ever doing this to a customers system. XP SP1 has been
signifacantly beta / field and release tested, all documatation about issues
it causes and address's are avalible and the general concensus is only runs
SP1 XP.

The only reason people don't run SP1 is that the version of xp they have is
a corp edition and has been banned by microsoft.

If the (wo)man is really 'worried' about security why is using xp in the
first place?

Neither XP, Linux or OSX are a really secure product.

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:3CIvb.5998$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dOTdASH wrote:
> > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
> > news:6hGvb.5888$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I've just put a machine together for a friend. He's using XP Pro and
> >> doesn't want to install SP1. However the manual for his mobo states
> >> that SP1 is needed for USB2 support. Does anyone know if there is a
> >> patch or some other way of enabling USB2 without installing SP1?
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> --
> >> ~misfit~
> >>

> > what's the problem with SP1 ?

> Don't know, just that the customer doesn't want it. Paranoia of some
> description maybe. He's using the early retail version and is quite happy
> with it, he has the critical updates on CDR.
> --
> ~misfit~

Peter Huebner

To get back to the original question:

www.driversguide.com ---> u2v2.exe

(I'm emailing it, Shaun, no need to go rooting around for it).

cheers, -Peter