Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

Addition of ".home" to the range of sub-domains available in NZ

Lennier

What do you think about adding ".home" to the currently available list of
sub-domains ".net", ".co", ".org" etc?

That way when affordable broadband arrives here in NZ people will be able
to get a domain name that would be more suited to domestic use.

Whaddya think?

Lennier

--
I specifically DENY Xtra, and Telecom NZ Ltd, and all other subsidiaries
of Telecom NZ Ltd, the right to use the contents of this digital

Mutley

Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:31:08 +1000, Jay wrote:
>
>>> I also thought that one is supposed to tell the Registrar of one's
>>> domain name what IP number one wants the DNS server to point to when it
>>> receives a lookup request; and as such one can register a domain such as
>>> <insertnamehere>.com.au and have it pointing to an IP number owned by
>>> Xtra or Ihug or some other outfit.

>> Yes.
>> But normally your ISP will provide you with a dynamic IP address, wont
>> they?

>I understand that an ISP assigns IP numbers dynamically to dialup users.
>But I thought that ASDL connections were assigned permanent IP numbers.
>
>IS this not the case?
>
>Lennier

Not on Jetstart. Mine changes every hour or so..