Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > This will make you all happy MS Lunix..

This will make you all happy MS Lunix..

Gregory Parker

Brett Roberts

"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=3646

this story pops up in various forms every 6 months or so, it must have been
a quiet IT news day somewhere

Gregory Parker

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:05:33 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=3646
>>

>this story pops up in various forms every 6 months or so, it must have been
>a quiet IT news day somewhere

I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

AD.

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:26:31 +1300, Gregory Parker wrote:

> I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

And how was that ludicrously uninformed piece of guesswork supposed to
wind anyone up? Your trolling abilities haven't been the best lately -
maybe you should see a doctor?

Anyway, to add my POV of the linked article...

In my mind there are three possible reasons why MS would license UNIX code
from SCO. Two are straight forward, and the other other falls into the
paranoid conspiracy camp.

1) It is no secret that there is BSD and GPL code in MS Services For Unix.
MS would probably just like to reassure customers that all the code in SFU
is licensed properly and they won't get into trouble using it.

2) MS really does want to improve interoperability features in SFU that
require code from SCO. This is one publicly stated reason.

3) It's a backhanded way of funding the SCO jihad against IBM and Linux
without getting blood on their hands.

Number 1 seems plausible, although MS did seem a little eager to spend the
money before or even if it was actually needed. And I don't think there is
any Linux kernel code in SFU?

Number 2 seems strange because SCO has nothing of any real value these
days. Better code exists elsewhere.

I don't think number 3 is that relevant, and probably only really cropped
up because of the aspects of 1 & 2 that don't make complete sense. At best
it would be a welcome side effect rather than the main reason I reckon.

But as for 'analysts' guessing MS licensing UNIX code from SCO to include
Linux in their own OS - come on, that has to be drug induced
hallucinations.

Cheers
Anton

steve

Gregory Parker allegedly said:

> I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

Correction: freedom lovers.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Steven H

In article <%uhvb.8759$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Gregory Parker allegedly said:
>

> > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

> Correction: freedom lovers.

so you admit it - you hate Microsoft

how mature

there only a company out to make some money - and before you get on your
soap box and preach Open Standards take a gander @

http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/default.mspx

guiess what - the great satan that is Microsoft are opening up their
Office 2003 File Standard

Steven H

harry

"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:05:33 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>

> >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=3646
> >>

> >this story pops up in various forms every 6 months or so, it must have

been
> >a quiet IT news day somewhere
> >

> I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

Theres only about 2 or 3 of them and they still use Windows

Allistar

Gregory Parker wrote:

> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=3646

Ironic that that site is running:

Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

Allistar.

Max Burke

> Allistar scribbled:

>> Gregory Parker wrote:
>> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=3646

> Ironic that that site is running:
> Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
> mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

Why is that Ironic?

Anyone who tells you, or tries to convince you that their favorite operating
system is somehow immune to market forces, human error, and plain malice, is
doing both you and the operating system they espouse a disservice.
http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030124S0013/5

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

harry

"Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
news:Mykvb.8813$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Allistar scribbled:

> >> Gregory Parker wrote:
> >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?n...ticle&sid=3646

> > Ironic that that site is running:
> > Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
> > mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

> Why is that Ironic?

Thats it Max, help Roger out, he needs it.

OT: Happy Happy Joy Joy! Mike T. MCSE 79 11-19-2006 08:22 PM
HEXUS.opinions :: Have a happy happy gaming holiday Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-23-2005 04:12 PM
What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy? zelzel.zsu@gmail.com Java 15 11-12-2005 03:54 AM
Happy Happy Joy Joy, I recovered my photos Tama Mativa Digital Photography 9 05-24-2004 04:58 PM
happy happy christmas showgun MCSE 26 12-17-2003 07:11 PM

Advertisments