Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WindowsXP serious startup problem

WindowsXP serious startup problem

SomebodyElse

Hi. My computer has suddenly developed this problem. Running Win XP Pro.
When I start the computer I get the following message:

----------
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
----------

The only thing I can find online is
http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forum...2003/08/2/6177 or very
similar, which is what I did before I started looking for help online.

Can anybody suggest anything other than this that I can do?

It happened immediately after adding another hard drive (that I knew was
poked) to try to recover some data from it. I first got this error when this
other drive was attached, but disconnecting it doesn't make any difference
(as I expected).

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Scott

John

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:59:54 +1300, "SomebodyElse"
<(E-Mail Removed). nz> wrote:

NTFS the NT file system system file is corrupt and needs to be
replaced, just boot to the CDROM and choose R
or if you have the NTFSDOS tool from system internals (the tool that
lets you write to NTFS from a floppy you could expand and copy the
driver from the cd to the disk (I've only done that once with a
corrupt sys driver on an exchange server)

>Any advice much appreciated.
>
>Cheers
>Scott

SomebodyElse

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:59:54 +1300, "SomebodyElse"
> <(E-Mail Removed). nz> wrote:
>
> NTFS the NT file system system file is corrupt and needs to be
> replaced, just boot to the CDROM and choose R
> or if you have the NTFSDOS tool from system internals (the tool that
> lets you write to NTFS from a floppy you could expand and copy the
> driver from the cd to the disk (I've only done that once with a
> corrupt sys driver on an exchange server)
> >Any advice much appreciated.

Tried that. Still the same
I think I might have to reinstall the os

Cheers
Scott

steve

SomebodyElse allegedly said:

> Hi. My computer has suddenly developed this problem. Running Win XP Pro.

We can help you there.....

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers