Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstreamgames ?

Jetstreamgames ?

John Doe

Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
properly set up for ADSL.
I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
What's the whole story ?

Thank you.

Nicholas Sherlock

John Doe wrote:
> Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
> For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
> connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
> jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
> properly set up for ADSL.
> I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
> to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
> A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
> What's the whole story ?

Jetstreamgames is a free, full-rate realm you can connect to, which hosts
game servers and game downloads. You are not charged for the bandwidth and
it goes as fast as your modem can.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

KS

John Doe wrote:
> Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
> For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
> connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
> jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
> properly set up for ADSL.
> I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
> to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
> A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
> What's the whole story ?

Jetstream games is a unique odd separate connection for Jetstart, etc users.

You can connect directly to JS games, but can't do anything that you would
normally do via your ISP - web browse, email, etc. You can only see/talk to
other servers connected to 'the realm' as it's sometimes known. Any traffic
used does NOT count towards your monthly data use, and even if you have the
Jetstart package, who'll have full speed dsl via this connection. Which is
handy for games.

You'll need to create a new dial in connection, with :

user name: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
password: leave blank
dial in # : leave blank

ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for download.
Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat 0.4J runs to 573MB
! But it downloads lightning fast.

There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and there's
also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.

Mark

Yep, also, ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz has lots of game demos etc that are
available for download at full jetstream rates. I downloaded over 300 meg in
about 8 minutes

Cheers
Mark

JedMeister

Telecom do a poor job of advertising the ftp sites to jetstream users. There
is a better FTP site with newer files, located at...

ftp://203.96.92.93/pub/

There have been recent problems with this FTP2 Server, and this one exists
because the last one crapped out. For the latest news, check...

http://forums.jetstreamgames.co.nz/s...5&pagenumber=1

If you are signed in as (E-Mail Removed) (replace user with your
user id), all downloads are free. And speed is awesome, i have been
downloading between 300 and 400kb per second. Better than a phone line which
is about 5 kb per second.

"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)0SPAM> wrote in message
news:bpclcg$1ns$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yep, also, ftp.jetstreamgames.co.nz has lots of game demos etc that are
> available for download at full jetstream rates. I downloaded over 300 meg

in
> about 8 minutes
>
> Cheers
> Mark

David

"KS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpcl7u$1ko$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Doe wrote:
> > Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
> > For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
> > connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
> > jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
> > properly set up for ADSL.
> > I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
> > to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
> > A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
> > What's the whole story ?

> Jetstream games is a unique odd separate connection for Jetstart, etc

users.

> You can connect directly to JS games, but can't do anything that you would
> normally do via your ISP - web browse, email, etc. You can only see/talk

> other servers connected to 'the realm' as it's sometimes known. Any

traffic
> used does NOT count towards your monthly data use, and even if you have

the
> Jetstart package, who'll have full speed dsl via this connection. Which is
> handy for games.
>
> You'll need to create a new dial in connection, with :
>
> user name: (E-Mail Removed)
> password: leave blank
> dial in # : leave blank
>
> ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for download.
> Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat 0.4J runs to

573MB
> ! But it downloads lightning fast.
>
> There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
> http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and there's
> also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.

IIRC if you are using a Nokia M1122 modem there is no need to log on as
such, it does it automatically?

SteveM

"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bpe12q$2r1$(E-Mail Removed):

>> user name: (E-Mail Removed)
>> password: leave blank
>> dial in # : leave blank
>>
>> ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for
>> download. Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat
>> 0.4J runs to

> 573MB
>> ! But it downloads lightning fast.
>>
>> There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
>> http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and
>> there's also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.
>>

> IIRC if you are using a Nokia M1122 modem there is no need to log on
> as such, it does it automatically?

No, you must change the PPP username and password through the M1122 web
interface and click "apply". Change back to your normal username and
password to resume normal service.

SteveM

KS

> IIRC if you are using a Nokia M1122 modem there is no need to log on
> as such, it does it automatically?

I've no idea, sorry. I use an internal dsl modem. But I would still expect
that whatever modem you use, you'll still need to create the unique log on.
The initial 'connection' the modem will do when powered on only gets you to
the exchange.

Allistar

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
>> For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
>> connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
>> jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
>> properly set up for ADSL.
>> I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
>> to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
>> A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
>> What's the whole story ?

> Jetstreamgames is a free, full-rate realm you can connect to, which hosts
> game servers and game downloads. You are not charged for the bandwidth and
> it goes as fast as your modem can.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Is anyone aware of any games hosted on jetstreamgames that will run on
Linux? (I don't have a Windows box at home and would like to use this
service).

Thanks,
Allistar.

John Doe

"KS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bpcl7u$1ko$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> John Doe wrote:
> > Could somebody please clarify what is "Jetstream games" ?
> > For instance I heard about a specific ADSL login - the first day I got
> > connected my provider asked me to try to connect to
> > jetstreamgames.co.nz via the PPP configuration to see if my modem was
> > properly set up for ADSL.
> > I also heared about jetstreamgames ADSL connections going as high as 1
> > to up to 8 Mbits/sec.
> > A couple of threads below someone's talking about a ftp server.
> > What's the whole story ?

> Jetstream games is a unique odd separate connection for Jetstart, etc users.
>
> You can connect directly to JS games, but can't do anything that you would
> normally do via your ISP - web browse, email, etc. You can only see/talk to
> other servers connected to 'the realm' as it's sometimes known. Any traffic
> used does NOT count towards your monthly data use, and even if you have the
> Jetstart package, who'll have full speed dsl via this connection. Which is
> handy for games.
>
> You'll need to create a new dial in connection, with :
>
> user name: (E-Mail Removed)
> password: leave blank
> dial in # : leave blank
>
> ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz/files/ has a few files available for download.
> Particularly handy for patches or upgrades. Desert Combat 0.4J runs to 573MB
> ! But it downloads lightning fast.
>
> There's quite a few games available. Have a lurk around
> http://www.gpforums.co.nz/ (using your normal ISP connection) and there's
> also a JS forum, but I can't remember the address.

Thank you all for the info.
So it really looks like a distinct domestic IP network in the end.
Does somebody make any non-gaming use of it ? Is it possible to
exchange files from one peer to another or simply host a server on
this network ?

And considered the transfer rate is very high, the system could also
serve as a basis for a pretty cool domestic-only video conferencing
system. Don't you think so ?