Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Brasil goes Open-Source

Brasil goes Open-Source

steve

New Zealand risks missing out. While our government confies itself to
screwing Microsoft down for better volume pricing for civil servants,
countries looking to move to an information economy are adopting
open-source as they way they can regain control of computing technology now
closed to them by Microsoft's global monopoly of key platforms.

http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...opstories_html

Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

Associated Press Page 1 of 1

10:07 AM Nov. 16, 2003 PT

BRASILIA, Brazil -- If he is to make good on his promise to improve life for
the tens of millions of Brazilians who live in dire poverty, President Luiz
Inacio Lula da Silva knows that one key challenge is to bridge a massive
technology gap. And if that means shunning Microsoft software in South
America's largest country, then so be it.

Silva's top technology officer wants to transform the land of samba and
Carnival into a tech-savvy nation where everyone from schoolchildren to
government bureaucrats uses open-source software instead of costly Windows
products.

Such a policy makes eminent sense for a developing country where a mere 10
percent of the 170 million people have computers at home and where the
debt-laden government is the nation's biggest computer buyer, says Sergio
Amadeu, the open-source enthusiast appointed to head Brazil's National
Information Technology Institute by Silva after the president took office
this year.

Paying software licensing fees to companies like Microsoft is simply
"unsustainable economically" when applications that run on the open-source
Linux operating system are much cheaper, Amadeu said. Under his guidance,
Silva's administration is encouraging all sectors of government to move
toward open-source programs, whose basic code is public and freely
available.

"We have some islands in the federal government using open-source, but we
want to create a continent," said Amadeu, a former economics professor who
gained fame before joining Silva's team by launching a network of free
computer centers in Brazil's largest city, Sao Paulo.

<......the rest is on the web site....>

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

J.R. \Bob\ Dobbs

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:46:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>New Zealand risks missing out. While our government confies itself to
>screwing Microsoft down for better volume pricing for civil servants,
>countries looking to move to an information economy are adopting
>open-source as they way they can regain control of computing technology now
>closed to them by Microsoft's global monopoly of key platforms.

If you have a choice -i.e. Mac, Linux or any other OS that someone
develops, then it's popularity, not a monopoly.

>http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...opstories_html
>
>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

steve

J.R. "Bob" Dobbs allegedly said:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:46:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>New Zealand risks missing out. While our government confies itself to
>>screwing Microsoft down for better volume pricing for civil servants,
>>countries looking to move to an information economy are adopting
>>open-source as they way they can regain control of computing technology
>>now closed to them by Microsoft's global monopoly of key platforms.

> If you have a choice -i.e. Mac, Linux or any other OS that someone
> develops, then it's popularity, not a monopoly.

The US and European Courts disagree with you. Sorry.

>>http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...opstories_html
>>
>>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

> Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

Make your own BMW is more to the point.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Warwick

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:32:44 GMT, "J.R. \"Bob\" Dobbs"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:46:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>New Zealand risks missing out. While our government confies itself to
>>screwing Microsoft down for better volume pricing for civil servants,
>>countries looking to move to an information economy are adopting
>>open-source as they way they can regain control of computing technology now
>>closed to them by Microsoft's global monopoly of key platforms.

>If you have a choice -i.e. Mac, Linux or any other OS that someone
>develops, then it's popularity, not a monopoly.
>
>>http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...opstories_html
>>
>>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

>Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

Not the best analogy I have heard.
One car you are allowed to look under the bonnet, the other one you
cant.

If windows were a beemer its got a truck and traler tied permanantly
to the tow bar. Great for long trips, pain in the arse if you just
want to pop down the dairy for a packet of smokes.

cheers

J.R. \Bob\ Dobbs

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:46:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>New Zealand risks missing out. While our government confies itself to
>screwing Microsoft down for better volume pricing for civil servants,
>countries looking to move to an information economy are adopting
>open-source as they way they can regain control of computing technology now
>closed to them by Microsoft's global monopoly of key platforms.

If you have a choice -i.e. Mac, Linux or any other OS that someone
develops, then it's popularity, not a monopoly.

>http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...opstories_html
>
>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:46:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>New Zealand risks missing out. While our government confies itself to
>>screwing Microsoft down for better volume pricing for civil servants,
>>countries looking to move to an information economy are adopting
>>open-source as they way they can regain control of computing technology now
>>closed to them by Microsoft's global monopoly of key platforms.

>If you have a choice -i.e. Mac, Linux or any other OS that someone
>develops, then it's popularity, not a monopoly.
>
>>http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...newsletter_top

>stories_html
>>
>>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

>Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

In my experience, ladas are more reliable than bmws .. by a long way.
YMMV of course

Bruce

Evil Bastard

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:32:05 +0000, J.R. "Bob" Dobbs wrote:

>>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

> Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

I think that if the NZ govt was issuing $500 Prada designer pens to all
its civil servants, the taxpayers would have something to say.

But the same is being done in software, and barely a whisper.

steve

Evil Bastard allegedly said:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:32:05 +0000, J.R. "Bob" Dobbs wrote:
>
>>>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

>> Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

> I think that if the NZ govt was issuing $500 Prada designer pens to all
> its civil servants, the taxpayers would have something to say.
>
> But the same is being done in software, and barely a whisper.

Whewther or not Windows XP is a BMW or a clunker that is stolen often and
needs repair almost daily is open to debate.

With Open Source you can make your own "BMW".....or something even better.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Laurie Fleming

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"J.R. \"Bob\" Dobbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:46:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

> Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

That'd be fine, if Microsoft's products were the equivalent of a BMW.
But they palpably are not. The security systems of a BMW make them hard
to break into - it takes quite a bit more than a coathanger to break
into a BMW, and quite a bit less than a virtual coathanger to do the
same to Windows.

whoisthis

In article <pan.2003.11.18.03.33.01.642704@127.0.0.1>,
Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:32:05 +0000, J.R. "Bob" Dobbs wrote:
>
> >>Brazil Gives Nod to Open Source

> > Makes sense, if you can't afford a BMW, drive a Lada.

> I think that if the NZ govt was issuing $500 Prada designer pens to all
> its civil servants, the taxpayers would have something to say.
>
> But the same is being done in software, and barely a whisper.

No,The flip side would be that the tax payer would winge about the loss
in productivity because they were not compatable with their main
contacts. They would also bitch about the increased costs in IT support.

The most expensive part of a computer is the user, if you can make the
user just 2% more productive (ie about 1 hour a week), over 50 weeks a
year the computer AND software get paid for over a 3-4 year period.