Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > sending video

sending video

susie

Hey there
Is there a preferred format to send video in an email? 2-3 mins max
Cheers

E. Scrooge

"susie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07vtb.3149$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey there
> Is there a preferred format to send video in an email? 2-3 mins max
> Cheers

Very compressed Divx format with no sound or a compressed version of MP3
sound for videos is one way. The other way is to use Movie Maker (standard
on XP) and convert your video to an WMA file with several quality options to
choose from. Using Movie Maker would be easiest. Try to keep the video to
2 minutes so you don't have to compress it that much that it's barely
watchable. Aim to keep the file size at about 2MB or 3MB at the very most,
which will take more than long enough to send and receive.
Most videos I send by email are between 10 and 20 seconds at around 1MB in
size (using Divx usually).

The other option is to send 30 minutes of high quality video on a CD by
snail mail.

E. Scrooge

KS

susie wrote:
> Hey there
> Is there a preferred format to send video in an email? 2-3 mins max
> Cheers

As already mentioned, Movie Maker which comes free in XP, will do the job
nicely. 2 mins of video, can get compressed down to quite a reasonable email
size. It'll create the video as a .wmv file, which Windows media player, and
quite a few others, can happily play. There are other compression
standards - Divx, etc - which will also compress it while keeping quality,
but windows media format would be more popular for the average user. Of
course, being able to read this message in a newsgroup elevates you beyond
an average user !

Reasonable email size would depend on whether the person is on dial up, or
dsl/cable/whatever.

Lebowski

"susie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07vtb.3149$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey there
> Is there a preferred format to send video in an email? 2-3 mins max
> Cheers

Hey, wasn't this covered in a previous posting (I believe from 4th November,
titled simply 'video')? And I see, the replies are covering the same kind of
ground. Use Movie Maker etc.

John

there is an upgrade for Movie Maker at windowsupdate.microsoft.com
it increases the number of transisions etc etc...

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, E. Scrooge sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Very compressed Divx format with no sound or a compressed version of MP3
> sound for videos is one way. The other way is to use Movie Maker (standard
> on XP) and convert your video to an WMA file with several quality options to
> choose from.

And don't bother ZIPing it afterwards, as Apple insists on doing

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Lost

susie wrote:

> Hey there
> Is there a preferred format to send video in an email? 2-3 mins max
> Cheers

It really depends on what the person receiving the video is able to play
on their computer. For example, you don't want to send someone a MS or
Apple formatted video file unless you're sure they can play it. Plain
old Mpeg is probably the most generically playable.

The Other Guy

All repies so far have been incorrect. It is NOT advisable to send large
files by e-mail.

These should be placed on a server using some non-proprietary protocol to
allow the user to download this if they so choose.

E-mailing binary files results in a size increase of around 34%, making
e-mailing horribly wasteful. Plus, some people cannot receive large e-mails.

I'd recommend an MPEG1 file for the video compression since it is playable
on almost any platform. MPEG2 will deliver better quality, but is not
supported as standard on recent versions of Windows.

The Other Guy

"susie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07vtb.3149$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey there
> Is there a preferred format to send video in an email? 2-3 mins max
> Cheers

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, The Other Guy sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> All repies so far have been incorrect. It is NOT advisable to send large
> files by e-mail.

But many individual users do not have any practical means to post things
on a server. (Nor do they have the knowledge).

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

KS

> All repies so far have been incorrect. It is NOT advisable to send
> large files by e-mail.
> These should be placed on a server using some non-proprietary
> protocol to allow the user to download this if they so choose.
>
> E-mailing binary files results in a size increase of around 34%,
> making e-mailing horribly wasteful. Plus, some people cannot receive
> large e-mails.
>
> I'd recommend an MPEG1 file for the video compression since it is
> playable on almost any platform. MPEG2 will deliver better quality,
> but is not supported as standard on recent versions of Windows.

Hmm, interesting.

While true, it's an inefficient way of transferring data, the reality is
that email has evolved from the simple plain text that it used to be.

In days of old, it simply was plain good old, quick text.

Now, html newsletters and file transfers are not only the norm, but
expected.

Yes it's inefficient, however it's a particularly handy thing to do. Perhaps
the biggest caveat of emailing any large file is the surprise on the face of
the unexpected recipient, wondering why downloading their email takes so
long.

But if my 68 year old mother can email video message files to her friends in
Scotland ok, captured off a web cam, then anyone can.