Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Monitor gave trouble and then came right

Monitor gave trouble and then came right

E. Scrooge

Hell, it's done it again.
It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large push
button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be selected.
I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again and
it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar one
button arrangement?

Cheers,
E. Scrooge

Gregory Parker

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
(remove eye)> wrote:

>Hell, it's done it again.
>It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large push
>button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
>would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be selected.
>I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
>and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again and
>it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
>thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar one
>button arrangement?
>
>Cheers,
>E. Scrooge

Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

E. Scrooge

"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
> (remove eye)> wrote:
>
> >Hell, it's done it again.
> >It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large

push
> >button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
> >would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be

selected.
> >I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
> >and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again

and
> >it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
> >thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar

one
> >button arrangement?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >E. Scrooge

> Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

E. Scrooge

Phillip Weston

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> scribbled:

>"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
>> (remove eye)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hell, it's done it again.
>> >It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large

>push
>> >button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
>> >would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be

>selected.
>> >I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
>> >and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again

>and
>> >it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
>> >thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar

>one
>> >button arrangement?
>> >
>> >Cheers,
>> >E. Scrooge

>> Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

>Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
controller.

BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

E. Scrooge

"Phillip Weston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
> <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> scribbled:
>

> >"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge"

<(E-Mail Removed)

> >push

menu

> >selected.

PC

> >and

similar
> >one

> >> Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

> >Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

> It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
> controller.
>
> BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?
>
> --
> Phillip Weston

It has "uVision" on the front. On the back with plenty of stuff it says
it's an "AS1770" model - year 2001.
I've been wanting to tone down the brightness a bit, finally got it done
yesterday. The button worked without the hint of a fault. The one spinning
button doesn't sound like a good idea. When working you can spin round the
menu as often as you like and very little resistance of any feel to it.

E. Scrooge

T.N.O.

E. Scrooge wrote:

> Hell, it's done it again.
> It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large push
> button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
> would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be selected.
> I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
> and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again and
> it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
> thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar one
> button arrangement?

My mums cheapo monitor has the same button config, terrible to use, in
my opinion... anyway, we got it replaced under warranty, but your's is a
PC company one isn't it?

If you need a spare if you need to send that one back, give me a yell.

E. Scrooge

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fb69882$(E-Mail Removed)...
> E. Scrooge wrote:
>
> > Hell, it's done it again.
> > It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large

push
> > button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
> > would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be

selected.
> > I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the

PC
> > and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again

and
> > it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
> > thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar

one
> > button arrangement?

> My mums cheapo monitor has the same button config, terrible to use, in
> my opinion... anyway, we got it replaced under warranty, but your's is a
> PC company one isn't it?
>
> If you need a spare if you need to send that one back, give me a yell.

Thanks for the offer, but it's set to what I want for now.

No way did I go for a PC Company monitor for the new system, I had that
bugger kicked off the list of options. A standard ONE year warranty from an
outfit that had a cheap bulk supply of the buggers just wasn't good enough
while other retailers were offering new monitors with a good 3 year warranty
as standard. The 1 year warranty showed that the PC Company weren't willing
to match other retailers by giving a 3 year warranty for their monitors, the
standard 1 year on the PC itself was fair enough.

I got my monitor cheap at the time from Cash Converters several months
before getting the new PC. They must've paid bugger all for it, it was in
good condition, better than some that they wanted the same price or more
for. Only after getting it did I notice that it was made in 2001.

The button must have weak contacts even at the best of times right from when
it was new on these models. I'll avoid any other monitors with similar
adjustment in the future.

E. Scrooge

Gregory Parker

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:22:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
(remove eye)> wrote:

>"Phillip Weston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
>> <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> scribbled:
>>

>> >"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

><(E-Mail Removed)

>> >push

>menu
>> >selected.

>PC
>> >and

>similar
>> >one

>> >Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

>> It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
>> controller.
>>
>> BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?
>>
>> --
>> Phillip Weston

>It has "uVision" on the front. On the back with plenty of stuff it says
>it's an "AS1770" model - year 2001.
>I've been wanting to tone down the brightness a bit, finally got it done
>yesterday. The button worked without the hint of a fault. The one spinning
>button doesn't sound like a good idea. When working you can spin round the
>menu as often as you like and very little resistance of any feel to it.
>
>E. Scrooge

Its past its use by date for that model..

E. Scrooge

"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:22:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
> (remove eye)> wrote:
>

> >"Phillip Weston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
> >> <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> scribbled:

> ><(E-Mail Removed)

large

> >menu

the
> >PC

again

select

> >similar

> >> It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
> >> controller.
> >>
> >> BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Phillip Weston

> >It has "uVision" on the front. On the back with plenty of stuff it says
> >it's an "AS1770" model - year 2001.
> >I've been wanting to tone down the brightness a bit, finally got it done
> >yesterday. The button worked without the hint of a fault. The one

spinning
> >button doesn't sound like a good idea. When working you can spin round

the
> >menu as often as you like and very little resistance of any feel to it.
> >
> >E. Scrooge

> Its past its use by date for that model..

The monitor itself still works fine, it's only the settings button that's
stuffed.

E. Scrooge