Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 12V - 240V inverter/step up transformer

12V - 240V inverter/step up transformer

T.N.O.

Anyone know anything about these...

I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.

Southern Kiwi

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fb5af6a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know anything about these...
>
> I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
> get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.

Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

T.N.O.

Southern Kiwi wrote:

> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fb5af6a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Anyone know anything about these...
>>
>>I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
>>get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.

> Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
> I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
> use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
> the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.

Sorry, I should have been clearer(mind going faster than fingers)...
what sort, where from, and how much?

Gregory Parker

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:49:57 +1300, "T.N.O."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know anything about these...
>
>I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
>get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.

No its not, get the Manufactures correct Adapter for the car..

A decent 240 converter will cost more..

Gregory Parker

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:59:11 +1300, "T.N.O."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Southern Kiwi wrote:
>
>> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:3fb5af6a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Anyone know anything about these...
>>>
>>>I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
>>>get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.

>> Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
>> I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
>> use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
>> the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.

>Sorry, I should have been clearer(mind going faster than fingers)...
>what sort, where from, and how much?

DSE..

150w one and a 300w one..

$138 & $128 on Special

Both are Chinese Digitor crap..

T.N.O.

Gregory Parker wrote:
> No its not, get the Manufactures correct Adapter for the car..
> A decent 240 converter will cost more..

This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
240v converter, just one that will do.

The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
running a bit longer...

Richard Malcolm-Smith

T.N.O. wrote:

> This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
> 240v converter, just one that will do.
>
> The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
> discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
> or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
> running a bit longer...

I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up when I
tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so was
well within spec of it.

Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day

Gregory Parker

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:20:40 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>T.N.O. wrote:
>
>> This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
>> 240v converter, just one that will do.
>>
>> The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
>> discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
>> or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
>> running a bit longer...

>I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up when I
>tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so was
>well within spec of it.
>
>Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day

DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..

E. Scrooge

"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:20:40 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >T.N.O. wrote:
> >
> >> This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
> >> 240v converter, just one that will do.
> >>
> >> The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
> >> discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
> >> or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
> >> running a bit longer...

> >I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up

when I
> >tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so

was
> >well within spec of it.
> >
> >Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day

> DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..

They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.

E. Scrooge

Jerry

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:39:51 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
<(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote:

>"Gregory Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:20:40 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith

><(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up

>when I
>> >tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so

>was
>> >well within spec of it.
>> >
>> >Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day

>> DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..

>They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.

How warm does that get your car wiring?

Jerry

Cisco 6509 at 240V? Joey Cisco 5 03-09-2006 02:44 AM
WTB: 240V AC --> 6V DC / 2A Power Adapter WiZArD NZ Computing 7 10-11-2005 07:13 AM
Is A 110v PSU Ok On 240v Pickles NZ Computing 84 07-06-2005 08:16 AM
Cisco 2524 110/240V Parasites Lost Cisco 1 02-24-2005 09:05 AM
Convert 240V current to 12V KerplunKuK Computer Support 21 12-05-2003 12:17 AM

Advertisments