Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > computer keeps crashing.....

computer keeps crashing.....

AUNTY.RE

please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean randomly...I
dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if there
is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
what i have done before anyone asks....
1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
2. adaware all OK
3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I "typically"
use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them are,
but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
combinations

I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
"totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.

any ideas please???

AUNTY.RE

sorry, dont know if it matters, im running windows 98 SE
"AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

randomly...I
> dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

there
> is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> what i have done before anyone asks....
> 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> 2. adaware all OK
> 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

"typically"
> use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

are,
> but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> combinations
>
> I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

log
> whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
>
> any ideas please???

Wellygoggles

"AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

randomly...I
> dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

there
> is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> what i have done before anyone asks....
> 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> 2. adaware all OK
> 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

"typically"
> use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

are,
> but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> combinations
>
> I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

log
> whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
>
> any ideas please???

This might help http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm
but the techos (I'm not one) on here will probably give you the correct
solution. Good luck

Ferg

Check that your fans are going. Just open up the case and make sure things
are twirling. Esp your CPU fan. Sometimes they get clogged up and the cpu
shuts down to avoid damage from overheating.

Ferg

"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wt9tb.7103$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

> randomly...I
> > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

> there
> > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> > what i have done before anyone asks....
> > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> > 2. adaware all OK
> > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

> "typically"
> > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

> are,
> > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> > combinations
> >
> > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

> log
> > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
> >
> > any ideas please???
> >

> This might help http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm
> but the techos (I'm not one) on here will probably give you the correct
> solution. Good luck

E. Scrooge

"AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

randomly...I
> dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

there
> is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> what i have done before anyone asks....
> 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> 2. adaware all OK
> 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

"typically"
> use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

are,
> but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> combinations
>
> I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

log
> whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
>
> any ideas please???

Could be one of a number of things. At least possibly a bad program or
driver. At worse a hardware fault such as the RAM. If you've got bugger
all RAM to start with, you might only need a good RAM manager like RAMPage
to make a difference.
If it hasn't just happened after any software changes etc, then suspect the
hardware.

E. Scrooge

rob

"AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

randomly...I
> dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

there
> is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> what i have done before anyone asks....
> 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> 2. adaware all OK
> 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

"typically"
> use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

are,
> but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> combinations
>
> I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

log
> whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
>
> any ideas please???

Hi Aunty, don't take it the wrong way, but are your nav virus signatures up
to date, have you recently updated Adaware?

This site has a list of most items you'll find in your tasklist:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.php
Uninstall/disable everything but the essentials and see if that helps.
Here's a KB article that might help too.

hope that helps
rgd
rob

AUNTY.RE

Hi Rob, thanks and no offence taken, I have all the latest updates for
antivirus, and just down loaded ad aware a few days ago, so yes all is well
as far as those go.....thanks for the idea though.

"rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp3cup$pfh$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

> randomly...I
> > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

> there
> > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> > what i have done before anyone asks....
> > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> > 2. adaware all OK
> > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

> "typically"
> > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

> are,
> > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> > combinations
> >
> > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

> log
> > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
> >
> > any ideas please???
> >

> Hi Aunty, don't take it the wrong way, but are your nav virus signatures

up
> to date, have you recently updated Adaware?
>
> This site has a list of most items you'll find in your tasklist:
> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.php
> Uninstall/disable everything but the essentials and see if that helps.
> Here's a KB article that might help too.
>
> hope that helps
> rgd
> rob

AUNTY.RE

Hi there, i actually have 2 memory programs running allready, memclear and
ramclean is the program you mention the same as those (or better maybe?) the
problem started a wee while agao because I was running out of memory, I have
512k so dont think that was really the problem, someone suggested to get a
program to "flush memory" (?????) so i tried these 2 without much luck, so I
dont think its a memory problem either, one suggestion was that "win 98se"
is the problem and i should upgrade to win XP, no guesses who that one came
from...... HAHA.... thanks for the idea though.

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bp3cr2$p9q$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RD8tb.2097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean

> randomly...I
> > dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if

> there
> > is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
> > time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
> > what i have done before anyone asks....
> > 1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
> > 2. adaware all OK
> > 3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I

> "typically"
> > use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them

> are,
> > but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
> > combinations
> >
> > I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
> > playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
> > "totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will

> log
> > whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
> >
> > any ideas please???

> Could be one of a number of things. At least possibly a bad program or
> driver. At worse a hardware fault such as the RAM. If you've got bugger
> all RAM to start with, you might only need a good RAM manager like RAMPage
> to make a difference.
> If it hasn't just happened after any software changes etc, then suspect

the
> hardware.
>
> E. Scrooge

Gavin Tunney

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:49:07 +1300, "AUNTY.RE" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>please help..... my computer keeps randomly crashing and i mean randomly...I
>dont have a virus or spyware, checked that... but was wondering if there
>is a free utility that would log which programs are trying to run at any
>time and log that so when it does I can track down the culprit.
>what i have done before anyone asks....
>1. virus scan (NAV antivirus) all OK
>2. adaware all OK
>3. done a ctr-alt-del to check whic programs are running when I "typically"
>use my PC and got a list of 25 programs ( dont know what a lot of them are,
>but did a google search and of course came up with a frustratig million
>combinations
>
>I really cant track it down, sometimes when I am online, sometimes just
>playing bewjewelled game or something totally unrelated, as i said above
>"totally random" what I need is free software I can down load that will log
>whats happening when so when it crashes I can "see" what caused it.
>
>any ideas please???

First thing to try is removing all the programs that run at start up,
none are required for Windows to work & they're the most common cause
of crashes if it's not a hardware fault.

Start - run - msconfig

You'll find tabs at the top, click on the one that says 'startup' &
you'll find a list of the programs that run when Windows starts. For
the purpose of troubleshooting the fault uncheck *every* ticked box,
keeping notes of which ones you disable.

Reboot & see where it gets you. Keep in mind that also disables your
anti-virus so try it only long enough to see if it fixes the problem.
If it stops crashing then enable them a few at time by ticking the
boxes & when it starts crashing again you've found the culprit - leave
it disabled.

Other startup programs are in the Start - Programs - Startup folder,
also pays to move them to a new folder while troubleshooting the
problem... can always move them back later.

It it still crashes then you may have a hardware fault, although not
definitely. Post a bit more info on the crashes... error messages etc.

Cheers

Gavin

Ron McNulty

25 programs running is an awful lot. My machine shows about 9, and 3 are not
strictly necessary (toolbar and HP scanner utilities).

Someone else has suggested using msconfig - sounds like a good idea.

Regards

Ron