Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How clever are email harvesting bots

How clever are email harvesting bots

SomebodyElse

How clever are email harvesting bots?
Currently for usenet I use a ficticious email address. If I actually
wanted people to be able to contact me, is munging my email address
(probably in a sig) very effective in avoiding these harvesting bots?
Say I put SomebodyElse at myisp dot co dot nz
Are the bots being used inteligent enough to recognise this as an email
address?
Or do I need something more cryptic? eg myisp at somebodyelse dot co dot
nz and swap the username with the provider? lol

Or should I just do what I do now - just plain not put my address online
in any shape or form.....?

Cheers
Scott

Jason M

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:59:25 +1300, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How clever are email harvesting bots?
>Currently for usenet I use a ficticious email address. If I actually
>wanted people to be able to contact me, is munging my email address
>(probably in a sig) very effective in avoiding these harvesting bots?
>Say I put SomebodyElse at myisp dot co dot nz
>Are the bots being used inteligent enough to recognise this as an email
>address?
>Or do I need something more cryptic? eg myisp at somebodyelse dot co dot
>nz and swap the username with the provider? lol
>
>Or should I just do what I do now - just plain not put my address online
>in any shape or form.....?

I suspect that in the last few months someone has been manually
unmunging email addresses from Usenet and adding them to spam lists.
I used to be immune from spam with my simple munging but am now
getting lots.
An unmunged email will get on spam lists in a few days.
I'd recommend regularly changing your email address.

Gregory Parker

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:59:25 +1300, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How clever are email harvesting bots?
>Currently for usenet I use a ficticious email address. If I actually
>wanted people to be able to contact me, is munging my email address
>(probably in a sig) very effective in avoiding these harvesting bots?
>Say I put SomebodyElse at myisp dot co dot nz
>Are the bots being used inteligent enough to recognise this as an email
>address?
>Or do I need something more cryptic? eg myisp at somebodyelse dot co dot
>nz and swap the username with the provider? lol
>
>Or should I just do what I do now - just plain not put my address online
>in any shape or form.....?
>
>Cheers
>Scott

Spam is not the end of the world, is it..?

If you are that Paranoid about just don't post a thing..

And why worry, e a ISP with a Spam filter..

steve

SomebodyElse allegedly said:

> Or should I just do what I do now - just plain not put my address online
> in any shape or form.....?

Somewhere in Asia or eastern Europe there will be someone who sits all day
and de-cyphers "munged" e-mail addresses and sells them to spammers.

6.3 billion people on Earth.....and I'm sure there has to be at least ONE
doing it.

use a totally bogus address. You're better off posting your phone number in
alt.timewasters or something and such people 'waste their time looking for
your number'.

That should be enough for those with an IQ over 100 and a good nights sleep
to catch on.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

steve

Gregory Parker allegedly said:

> Spam is not the end of the world, is it..?

It is.

150 of them / day is not trivial...and it's easy to get that many and more
if not careful with your address.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

steve

Gregory Parker allegedly said:

> Spam is not the end of the world, is it..?

I also don't like graphic spam images of anal sex and bondage appearing in
my kid's email.

--
Best Regards,
Steve Withers

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:38:08 +1300, steve wrote:

> Somewhere in Asia or eastern Europe there will be someone who sits all day
> and de-cyphers "munged" e-mail addresses and sells them to spammers.

I've watched them in the cafes in downtown Colon (appropriate name), Cebu,
in the Philippines.

They get NZ$10/day and think it's a fortune.

They also get paid the same rate to stuff webforms by hand.

I've also watched the same thing happening in Sandakan (Eastern Malaysia),
in cafes with larger-than-life-size pictures of Osama Bin Liner smiling
down from the walls, but the spammers were being paid slightly more there
and their output was lower.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:39:00 +1300, steve wrote:

> 150 of them / day is not trivial...and it's easy to get that many and more
> if not careful with your address.

Spam is on the verge of being legalised in the USA and UK.

This means that mainstream companies are likely to start spamming and the
rules are opt out in both instances

There are 23 million businesses in the USA. They won't bother targetting
as it costs more than just boradtcasting to everyone.

If 1% of those businesses send you 1 message per year, (and assuming noone
cheats), that works out to aound 750 extra messages/day in your inbox,
which you'll have to reply to with remove requests.

Ralph Fox

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 00:38:08 +1300, in article
<A83tb.7074$(E-Mail Removed)>, steve wrote:

> SomebodyElse allegedly said:
>
> > Or should I just do what I do now - just plain not put my address online
> > in any shape or form.....?

> Somewhere in Asia or eastern Europe there will be someone who sits all day
> and de-cyphers "munged" e-mail addresses and sells them to spammers.
>
> 6.3 billion people on Earth.....and I'm sure there has to be at least ONE
> doing it.

It would seem that spammers will pay for this, from this spam I got a few months ago.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

somewhere else." -- Sam Walton

Peter

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> Spam is on the verge of being legalised in the USA and UK.
> This means that mainstream companies are likely to start spamming and the
> rules are opt out in both instances

and those little "opt out" links don't work.
Either it's a dead link that does nothing, or it leads to a spammer who
notes your email address as confirmed (ie a real address that is read by a
human) and puts it on a priority spam list.

Peter

Need to add this code to my website to hide my email from spam bots fb3003@gmail.com HTML 8 06-30-2006 04:49 AM
Lion3l is harvesting rpd email addresses and selling them to his spammer client Tru 2 Tha Game Digital Photography 0 07-23-2004 01:58 AM
Email Harvesting Nikolai Weibull Ruby 2 10-22-2003 01:15 PM
Email addresses on JPG to foil spam bots Martin Computer Support 8 09-25-2003 12:23 AM

Advertisments