Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Vlans on a 2900 series XL switch

Vlans on a 2900 series XL switch

vos

Hi,

I have a 2900 series XL switch I bought in a bundle for my home lab to
help with my ccna studies. I am trying to play around with vlans but
any of the commands I am reading about do not work. It says to use the
"set vlan" and "set vtp" commands to configure vlans on the cisco site,
but the only command mine has starting with "set" is setup. Spent a few
hours now reading and getting a little frustrated. Any help on how to
set up vlans on this device would be greatly appreciated. I have pasted
the output from show version below.
Also when I first booted the device it started up asking if I wanted to
use command line or menus, after I defaulted the device I can not get
back to the config menu, I was going to try and set up a vlan domain
that way then look at the config to see what changes it made and try
using them commands but now I can not get into the config menu either.
How do I get back into the config menu also please?

Thanks

Regards,

Vos

IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H-M), Version 11.2(SA5, RELEASE
SOFTWARE (f
c1)
Compiled Tue 23-Mar-99 11:52 by rheaton
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x001D0068

ROM: Bootstrap program is C2900XL boot loader

Switch uptime is 20 minutes
System restarted by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2900XL-h-mz-112.8-SA5", booted via

cisco WS-C2924M-XL (PowerPC403GA) processor (revision 0x11) with
8192K/1024K byt
es of memory.
Processor board ID 0x10, with hardware revision 0x03
Last reset from power-on

Processor is running Standard Edition Software
24 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 000:58:CFA:00
Motherboard assembly number: 73-3425-08
Power supply part number: 34-0920-01
Motherboard serial number: FAA03179GKG
Power supply serial number: PHI031002KD
Model revision number: A0
Model number: WS-C2924M-XL-A
System serial number: FAA0321F0ER
Configuration register is 0xF

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
vos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a 2900 series XL switch

>I am trying to play around with vlans

>IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H-M), Version 11.2(SA5, RELEASE

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn/

Search by feature... ISL VLAN... Examine platform list... 2900XL is
not listed.

Search by feature... IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support... Examine platform list...
2900XL is not listed.

So, as far as the tool knows, the Cat 2900XL does not support VLANs
in any software version.

Okay, try the search again for IEEE 802.1Q VLAN Support, but this time
look at the release list. Earliest is 12.0T. So, no software version
as early as 11.2 supported IEEE 802.1Q VLANs on -any- platform.

Retrying for ISL VLANs, we see support was available in 11.2(,
but only on the 4500, 7200, and 7500.

> I have a 2900 series XL switch I bought in a bundle for my home lab to
> help with my ccna studies.

Latest version available for the Cat2900XL-ATM: 12.2(1a).

>IOS (tm) C2900XL Software (C2900XL-H-M), Version 11.2(SA5, RELEASE
>Compiled Tue 23-Mar-99 11:52 by rheaton

Your software is 6 years old at least, as had to have gone
through SA1 thru SA4 before hitting SA5, so probably it hadn't
had any feature changes for a year before that. 7 year old software
is not of much use in studying for CCNA.

vos

Thanx for your time Walter

So it needs to be upgraded to a later version of cisco IOS in order to
have the set commands as I previously mentioned?

Regards,
Vos

Peter

Hi Vos,

> Thanx for your time Walter
>
> So it needs to be upgraded to a later version of cisco IOS in order to
> have the set commands as I previously mentioned?

I am aware of 2 main "versions" of 2900XL H/W, the first is very old
with limited memory (they only had about 2MB RAM from memory) and they
are physically larger than the later models, and can only run images
up to about release11.2.

If you have a later version 2900XL with more memory (4MB or 8MB), then
with the right IOS it can do both ISL and 802.1Q trunking.

Cheers...............pk.

--
Peter from Auckland.

vos

Hi Peter

After doing a few hours research at work tonight, I found out all of
that info. I do have the 8mb version and I know which image I require
also.

Thank you both for your time, the people in this group are very helpful
and I appreciate it very much.

Cheers.

Vos

Doug McIntyre

"vos" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have a 2900 series XL switch I bought in a bundle for my home lab to
>help with my ccna studies. I am trying to play around with vlans but
>any of the commands I am reading about do not work. It says to use the
>"set vlan" and "set vtp" commands to configure vlans on the cisco site,
>but the only command mine has starting with "set" is setup.

You're reading the wrong docs.

set vlan and set vtp are used on CatOS boxes (ie. c2948G, etc).
The 2900XL runs IOS, where you'd use 'vlan database' and 'switchport
access vlan' and 'switchport mode trunk' commands.

If you have the WS-C2924-XL-EN your switch can do vlans (unlike what
Walter was searching for, the data must be falling out of FN for these
old workhorse switches that are everywhere). The -EN part is important
for VLAN support, if you have just the -A part, you'll be fighting an
uphill battle.

vos

You are right Doug. The 2900xl does run IOS and they are the comands to
set up a vtp trunks. I was following some courseware showing how to
config vlans etc on IOS, but the show commands used in the courseware
weren't giving the same output as my 2900xl, so my first objective was
to upgrade the IOS image. Anyway over the course of the weekend I
managed to upgrade the IOS on the 2900xl, the show commands then gave
the same output as in the course and I managed to get my 2900xl with
vtp configured and sharing vlans with 2 1900 series switches running
CatOS, which was my ultimate goal for the excercise. All good now.
Thanks again everyone.
Regards,
Vos

bubba@kilcomp bubba@kilcomp is offline
Junior Member

have you tried any of the following commands, I know that they work on a CAT 2950.
switch#vlan database
switch(vlan)#vlan 2 name VLAN2
switch(vlan)#vtp server
or
switch(vlan)#vtp client
switch#config t
switch(config)#interface fastethernet 0/2
switch(config-if)#switchport mode access
switch(config-if)#switchport access vlan 2
Router
router(config)#interface fastetherent 0/0
router(config-if)#no shut
router(config-if)#interface fastetherent 0/0.1
router(config-subif)#ip address 10.0.1.1 255.0.0.0
router(config-subif)#no shut

hopefully this will help you

configuring DHCP snooping on the 2900 series Layer 2 switches. William J King Cisco 1 10-11-2007 11:50 PM
cisco catalyst 2900 series jc179 Cisco 0 04-26-2007 04:04 AM
cisco 2900 vlans gene martinez Cisco 3 05-29-2006 01:11 AM
Cisco Catalyst 2900 series switch B1SHOP Cisco 7 10-11-2004 07:44 AM
2900 switch & vlans gene martinez Cisco 1 11-09-2003 03:46 AM

Advertisments