Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recovery with Knoppix: "When Good Disks Go Bad"

Recovery with Knoppix: "When Good Disks Go Bad"

steve

This article shows how to access a non-booting Linux system with a
Knoppix CD, get read-write permissions on configuration files,
create and manage partitions and filesystems, and copy files to
various storage media and over the network. You can use Knoppix for
hardware and system configuration detection and for creating and
managing partitions and filesystems. You can do it all from
Knoppix's excellent graphical utilities, or from the command line.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...y/l-knopx.html

Evil Bastard

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:37:14 +1300, steve wrote:

> This article shows how to access a non-booting Linux system with a
> Knoppix CD,...
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...y/l-knopx.html

Good on you for posting that.

More and more people are realising that, amongst other things, Knoppix is
the ultimate Linux rescue disk - even a very decent Windows rescue disk as
well.

For months, I've found knoppix to be a life saver. On those rare occasions
when something's gone wrong, I've just booted off the Knoppix cd, mounted
the disks, fixed whatever needed fixing. Reboot off hard disk. Problems
gone.

Cheers
EB

steve

Evil Bastard allegedly said:

> For months, I've found knoppix to be a life saver. On those rare occasions
> when something's gone wrong, I've just booted off the Knoppix cd, mounted
> the disks, fixed whatever needed fixing. Reboot off hard disk. Problems
> gone.
>
> Cheers
> EB

Same here.....and he (Klaus Knopper) is coming out with new and improved
versions faster than my monthly quota can cope with.

I still don't have Knoppix 3.3.

www.knoppix.org

harry

news:F6Hrb.6086$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Evil Bastard allegedly said:

> > For months, I've found knoppix to be a life saver. On those rare

occasions
> > when something's gone wrong, I've just booted off the Knoppix cd,

mounted
> > the disks, fixed whatever needed fixing. Reboot off hard disk. Problems
> > gone.
> >
> > Cheers
> > EB

> Same here.....and he (Klaus Knopper) is coming out with new and improved
> versions faster than my monthly quota can cope with.
>
> I still don't have Knoppix 3.3.
>
> www.knoppix.org

The latest version has OpenOffice 1.1, and the tohd fromhd cheatcodes and a
new installer, knoppix-installer instead of knx-hdinstall.
It gives options for either a Debian install or a Knoppix CD image style
install.
It also detects and runs the correct drivers for most onboard sound
chipsets.
No winmodem support.
The PXE terminal server is cool, I have a browser box on my network that is
a P233 with just a boot floppy, no HD or CD and I've also been booting a Via
EPIA ITX Mobo with it.
It also supports Brooktree TV receiver cards, and there are several versions
to run a diskless network client as a PVR player.
Its always a good cheat when setting up Debian boxes to run Knoppix and have
a look at what /etc/modules.conf settings it comes up with

steve

harry allegedly said:

> It also supports Brooktree TV receiver cards, and there are several
> versions to run a diskless network client as a PVR player.
> Its always a good cheat when setting up Debian boxes to run Knoppix and
> have a look at what /etc/modules.conf settings it comes up with

I'm playing with MythTV on Gentoo....and I've had trouble getting the system
to use the TV Card correctly.....I finally cracked it lasst night and
haven't had time to finish off the set-up.

When I'm done, anyone in the house will be able to program the PVR from
their own MythTV frontend....and watch the shows they recorded on their own
PCs.

I'm not sure what happens if two or people want to watch different shows and
try to record a show at the same time. RAID might help.

I hope to find out.