Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon news server

Reply
Thread Tools

Orcon news server

 
 
Evil Bastard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
groups?

A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.

If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
which is accessible from an orcon connection?

If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
preferably NZ-based and not clunky.

Thanks for your help
EB

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
>groups?
>
>A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.
>
>If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
>which is accessible from an orcon connection?
>
>If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
>preferably NZ-based and not clunky.
>
>Thanks for your help
>EB


NZ News servers including Orcon or renowned for their bad new group
listings and propagation. I use Teranews. www.teranews.com. You
can get a free 50Meg / day account..
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Mayhew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
>>groups?
>>
>>A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.
>>
>>If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
>>which is accessible from an orcon connection?
>>
>>If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
>>preferably NZ-based and not clunky.
>>
>>Thanks for your help
>>EB

>
> NZ News servers including Orcon or renowned for their bad new group
> listings and propagation. I use Teranews. www.teranews.com. You
> can get a free 50Meg / day account..
>


Not quite

"...Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the
costs associated with verifying credit card information we have begun
charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. Their are no reoccurring monthly
fees with our 50MB/day package...."

Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it considering it's
only a 1 off charge....
 
Reply With Quote
 
Max Quordlepleen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:17:20 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)>
proffered, in : news:Xns942F5E56F51AFnoemale@202.20.93.13:

>
> Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it
> considering it's only a 1 off charge....
>

It is worth it. I've been with Teranews for a couple of years now. THey
have beeen true to their word - just the one off charge of $3.95US, and
very good service, compared to NZ's pathetic NNTP service. It's the
best there is for the price, for sure. Their pay service is only
$7.95US a month for 200MB a day, if you're into binaries.

--
Eschew obfuscation.

http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:17:20 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>proffered, in : news:Xns942F5E56F51AFnoemale@202.20.93.13:
>
>>
>> Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it
>> considering it's only a 1 off charge....
>>

>It is worth it. I've been with Teranews for a couple of years now. THey
>have beeen true to their word - just the one off charge of $3.95US, and
>very good service, compared to NZ's pathetic NNTP service. It's the
>best there is for the price, for sure. Their pay service is only
>$7.95US a month for 200MB a day, if you're into binaries.


There is also another that will be worth a look at. It is currently
in it's final beta test phase so you won't be able to sign up but the
pricing packages don't look too bad.

http://www.octanews.com/pricing/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mainlander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
In article <Xns942F5E56F51AFnoemale@202.20.93.13>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> >
> >>Is it just me, or does the Orcon news server only have a tiny set of
> >>groups?
> >>
> >>A few international groups (eg comp.lang.python) are not updating.
> >>
> >>If this is the case, can anyone suggest a better NZ-based news server
> >>which is accessible from an orcon connection?
> >>
> >>If not, can anyone please suggest a good website for accessing news,
> >>preferably NZ-based and not clunky.
> >>
> >>Thanks for your help
> >>EB

> >
> > NZ News servers including Orcon or renowned for their bad new group
> > listings and propagation. I use Teranews. www.teranews.com. You
> > can get a free 50Meg / day account..
> >

>
> Not quite
>
> "...Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the
> costs associated with verifying credit card information we have begun
> charging a one time setup fee of $3.95. Their are no reoccurring monthly
> fees with our 50MB/day package...."
>
> Still it was worth a look and most likely still worth it considering it's
> only a 1 off charge....


Xusenet.com have a free service, but I think the daily limit is quite
low. DOesn't require credit card details


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orcon's Forums (for orcon users) Nova NZ Computing 13 03-18-2006 12:50 AM
Orcon UBS 2MBit or stick with Telecom/Orcon 2MBit ADSL? Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 3 04-29-2005 10:10 PM
changing from Orcon UBS to Orcon Jetstream Brendan NZ Computing 2 02-25-2005 08:39 AM
Orcon News Server = NAFF steve NZ Computing 37 07-05-2004 03:09 AM
Orcon News Server Collector NZ Computing 28 05-15-2004 11:53 AM



Advertisments