Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!!

GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!!

cOKe

GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!

I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

Tried to read other forums no luck can you recommend any other forums or a
fix, have tried different plugs to see if they are faulty they aren't?

any ideas?

Thanks,

cOKe

Gregory Parker

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:51:48 +1300, "cOKe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
>the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
>so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
>composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
>
>I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
>of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
>converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!
>
>Tried to read other forums no luck can you recommend any other forums or a
>fix, have tried different plugs to see if they are faulty they aren't?
>
>any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>

>cOKe

All the VCR's I have ever seen don't have S-Video sockets..

Plus all new Video cards have Macrovision and it will not work with a VCR..

GraB

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:51:48 +1300, "cOKe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
>the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
>so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
>composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
>
>I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
>of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
>converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!
>
>Tried to read other forums no luck can you recommend any other forums or a
>fix, have tried different plugs to see if they are faulty they aren't?
>
>any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>

>cOKe

There might be something here for you:
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/ar...crovision.html

Paul Gunson

cOKe wrote:
> GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to use
> the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my VCR
> so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
> composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
>
> I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the back
> of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into that
> converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

i have an MX-440 plugged into my VCR and it works sweet. the back of
GeForce cards are all SVHS outputs AFAIK.... ? i use the supplied SVHS >
composite adapter, and into the composite video-in on the VCR.

just to be clear, is your setup the same as mine or do u actually have a
SuperVHS....?

cOKe

"Paul Gunson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bomndr$4lv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> cOKe wrote:
> > GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to

use
> > the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my

VCR
> > so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
> > composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
> >
> > I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the

back
> > of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into

that
> > converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

> i have an MX-440 plugged into my VCR and it works sweet. the back of
> GeForce cards are all SVHS outputs AFAIK.... ? i use the supplied SVHS >
> composite adapter, and into the composite video-in on the VCR.
>
> just to be clear, is your setup the same as mine or do u actually have a
> SuperVHS....?

Ok think i've got the wrong names for the wrong plugs...
My setup is the same I think) there is only the one output plug on the back
of the card! one that looks like a ps2 socket but less pins.

Still no luck will have a look at the forum and maybe post on that one
tonight!

cOKe

Gregory Parker

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:59:38 +1300, "cOKe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Paul Gunson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bomndr$4lv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> cOKe wrote:
>> > GeForce 4 MX 440 will not let me connect to an S-video port!! I have to

>use
>> > the composite out! I'd like to be able to connect it to the back of my

>VCR
>> > so I could record off it. At the moment it has to go directly to the
>> > composite input of the TV. I've tried everything to get it to work!
>> >
>> > I have a converter that changes it from the composite output from the

>back
>> > of the card to a S-Video plug and then another cable that plugs into

>that
>> > converter and into the back of the VCR. It won't work!!

>> i have an MX-440 plugged into my VCR and it works sweet. the back of
>> GeForce cards are all SVHS outputs AFAIK.... ? i use the supplied SVHS >
>> composite adapter, and into the composite video-in on the VCR.
>>
>> just to be clear, is your setup the same as mine or do u actually have a
>> SuperVHS....?
>>

>Ok think i've got the wrong names for the wrong plugs...
>My setup is the same I think) there is only the one output plug on the back
>of the card! one that looks like a ps2 socket but less pins.
>
>Still no luck will have a look at the forum and maybe post on that one
>tonight!
>
>cOKe

You can't as the Macrovision will kill it..

Paul Gunson

cOKe wrote:
> Ok think i've got the wrong names for the wrong plugs...
> My setup is the same I think) there is only the one output plug on the back
> of the card! one that looks like a ps2 socket but less pins.

yes that output is S-VHS. and if u have a converter/adapter it then
becomes composite which should go straight into video line-in on the
VHS. u probly know this already but u have changed the VCR channel to
line1 right...? (line2 if its going into that).

also, i'm not sure if its necessary but to see the computer display on
TV if you're going thru the vid, u may need to connect another composite
cable from VCR line-out to line-in on the TV (in addition to the
standard coax cable)... not sure on that one tho. this is how i have it
set up and i can watch movies on TV, record PC content to tape etc.

Paul Gunson

also with your driver display settings check that you have them set to
PAL instead of NTSC, sometimes a common cause for a blank screen in
Windows, also Full-screen Output device should be set to Secondary Display.