Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > When SCO Attacks.

When SCO Attacks.

Cheetah

Holy sco; they are at it again.

This time the scoers are after Hollywood!

Yeah thats right - not content with messing with the 800 pound gorilla of
the computer industry SCO thinks its a good idea to bang up movie studios
using Linux render farms for a scoing license.

I mean who the sco do they think they are? They have really scoed this up,
and will probably find themselves in a scoing mess if they keep this up.

http://www.nzoss.org/portal

Evil Bastard

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:06:14 +1300, Cheetah wrote:

> This time the scoers are after Hollywood!

Great - I look forward to the hollywood blockbuster taking the mick out of
SCO. Will probably be along the lines of 'Wall Street' or similar, with
the Darl McBride character going down on criminal charges at the end.

Evil Bastard

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:06:14 +1300, Cheetah wrote:

> movie studios using Linux render farms

Puts Hollywood into an interesting position.

On one hand, buying legislation via Fritz Hollings et al trying to force
people to switch to hardware that effectively annihilates open source
software and open standards.

But on the other hand, saving megabucks from using OSS in their render
farms.

Kinda biting the hand that feeds them. Will be interesting to see which
side of the fence they jump to.

EB

harry

"Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
newsan.2003.11.09.02.01.21.515294@127.0.0.1...
> On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 11:06:14 +1300, Cheetah wrote:
>
> > movie studios using Linux render farms

> Puts Hollywood into an interesting position.

If there was such a monolithic entity, it still wouldn't mean any such
thing.
End users in movie production are no different to other Linux users who have
not been affected by SCOs claims

harry

"Cheetah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsNdrb.5805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Holy sco; they are at it again.
>
> This time the scoers are after Hollywood!
>
> Yeah thats right - not content with messing with the 800 pound gorilla of
> the computer industry SCO thinks its a good idea to bang up movie studios
> using Linux render farms for a scoing license.
>
> I mean who the sco do they think they are? They have really scoed this up,
> and will probably find themselves in a scoing mess if they keep this up.
>
> http://www.nzoss.org/portal

They are laughing their heads off in Miramar !
Stupid Daniel Lyons and Darl McBride think that Weta Digital are in
Hollywood !

T.N.O.

Cheetah wrote:
> http://www.nzoss.org/portal

The requested URL /portal/portal was not found on this server.

T.N.O.

T.N.O. wrote:

> Cheetah wrote:
>
>> http://www.nzoss.org/portal

> The requested URL /portal/portal was not found on this server.

and now it works... NM.

Cheetah

Evil Bastard wrote:

> Puts Hollywood into an interesting position.

They are not the only ones.

For example, Sun were the ones who also fattened SCO's coffers in addition
to Microsoft. Now if this were any other company (except perhaps IBM) they
would be public enemy number #2 behind SCO by now. However Sun are
supporting OpenOffice - a rather strategically important project - Java,
which while not open source is cross platform, and giving Linux quite a bit
of potential and credibility - and in New Zealand has done a great job of
hosting the NZLUG. So what is Sun up to?

Sony on the other hand have similar issues. On one hand their music hardware
division developing mp3 players, and other audio technology, realise that
users don't want DRM. Sony Music however want DRM to protect their IP. So
there is a internal division within the company, much like I imagine is
going on within Sun.

Oracle is supporting Linux as well, but has recently stopped support for
Compiere - a accounting system that will compete with Oracles own products.
So although these companies are supporting specific projects, it does not
nessasarily translate into wider acceptance of all of open source,
primarily because each company has its own survival to worry about - and
some OSS projects are not helpfull to them.

Hollywood will take advantage of Linux as it should. It will also act for
its own self interest. We will work with them in defending our rights to
Linux, and against them if they seek to take our rights away with DRM.

Matthew Poole

In article <Ehkrb.5859$(E-Mail Removed)>, Cheetah <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Evil Bastard wrote:

*SNIP*
>For example, Sun were the ones who also fattened SCO's coffers in addition
>to Microsoft. Now if this were any other company (except perhaps IBM) they
>would be public enemy number #2 behind SCO by now. However Sun are
>supporting OpenOffice - a rather strategically important project - Java,
>which while not open source is cross platform, and giving Linux quite a bit
>of potential and credibility - and in New Zealand has done a great job of
>hosting the NZLUG. So what is Sun up to?

*SNIP*

Sun purchased a licence from SCO for reasons that were actually legit.
I can't recall them off-hand, but they do stand up to scrutiny.
MS's "reason" doesn't, since their claim that they wanted to avoid any
hassles about Services for Unix is destroyed by the simple fact that the
vast majority of code in SFU is BSD-derived and the BSD code-base is
totally immune to SCO's lunacy because of the AT&T case.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

steve

Cheetah allegedly said:

> Holy sco; they are at it again.
>
> This time the scoers are after Hollywood!
>
> Yeah thats right - not content with messing with the 800 pound gorilla of
> the computer industry SCO thinks its a good idea to bang up movie studios
> using Linux render farms for a scoing license.
>
> I mean who the sco do they think they are? They have really scoed this up,
> and will probably find themselves in a scoing mess if they keep this up.
>
> http://www.nzoss.org/portal

These guys are nothing but an extortion racket.
They have never yet fronted up with any proof.....only threats.

There should be a law against such bad-faith court action and posturing.

If they have IP others have infringed - get it out into the open and make
the case..........or **** off.