Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL modems Win2K/Mandrake Linux?

Reply
Thread Tools

ADSL modems Win2K/Mandrake Linux?

 
 
Max Quordlepleen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
I am interested in any recommendations on ADSL modems that have been
found to work well in both Windows (2K, ideally), and Mandrake Linux.
Thanks.

--
Q: I was listening to a CD in Grip and it sounded horrible! What's up?
A: Perhaps you are listening to country music...
(From the Grip "First Asked Questions")
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
madknoxie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am interested in any recommendations on ADSL modems that have been
> found to work well in both Windows (2K, ideally), and Mandrake Linux.
> Thanks.


Get a router, that way it won't matter what you're running as long as
your OS can support networking, etc. Here I have an Alcatel Speed Touch
Pro, which in turn has a little 8-port hub plugged into it with various
computers connecting to that including; WinXp, MacOSX, Mandrake 9.0, and
Debian Woody, etc...

You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a seperate
purchase like I did.

--
madknoxie
$35 .nz domain names: http://www.ivision.co.nz/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max Quordlepleen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:37:49 GMT, madknoxie
<(E-Mail Removed)> proffered, in :
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a
> seperate purchase like I did.



Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
-http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
crap, or will the do the job OK?

--
Life? Don't talk to me about life!

http://www.maxqnz.com/References.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Max Quordlepleen wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:37:49 GMT, madknoxie
> <(E-Mail Removed)> proffered, in :
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a
>> seperate purchase like I did.

>
>
> Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good?
> As hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for
> $199 -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
> when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
> crap, or will the do the job OK?


As I've mentioned in here before Max, the compelling reason to buy from DSE
is that they give an (almost) unconditional 14 day right of return. As long
as the original packaging materials are returned complete and undamaged
along with the reciept they will refund you in full, no questions asked.

So you get 14 days to try it out risk-free. Also they usually offer a
warranty and, in my experience, honour it to the letter.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aaron Lawrence
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Suddenly, Max Quordlepleen sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
> hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
> -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
> when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
> crap, or will the do the job OK?


Working OK for us, about 4 months... more reliable than Xtra, lets put
it that way I had more trouble with my Asus router.

Quite comprehensive configuration and DSE appear to have customised it
somewhat...

The hardware is obviously basic stuff, but it works.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
 
Reply With Quote
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:27:30 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

> Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
> hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
> -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
> when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
> crap, or will the do the job OK?


There's a whole range of ADSL units on sale in europe for less than that
figure. $100NZ or less is common.

$320 would get you a Dlink router with integral 4 port switch and wireless
access point....


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian McDonald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
Myself, my father and a work colleague have all been using them
successfully for around a year. Absolutely brilliant.

Been recommending them to many people.

Max Quordlepleen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:37:49 GMT, madknoxie
> <(E-Mail Removed)> proffered, in :
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > You can get routers with 4-port hubs - it doesn't have to be a
> > seperate purchase like I did.

>
>
> Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
> hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
> -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
> when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
> crap, or will the do the job OK?

 
Reply With Quote
 
JedMeister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
I have found my DSE ADSL router to be very good , except for one thing...I
could never get Microsoft Messenger audio conversations to work.

DSE ADSL routers do not support the uPNP protocol, which seems to be
required for microsoft messenger audio calls to work ...for a description,
see...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...p,16~mode=flat




"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 21:27:30 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that - does anybody know if the DSE routers are any good? As
> > hard up as I am, I'm suspicious of anything that is offered for $199
> > -http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH1149
> > when all the competitive products are $300+. Are the DSE routers cheap
> > crap, or will the do the job OK?

>
> There's a whole range of ADSL units on sale in europe for less than that
> figure. $100NZ or less is common.
>
> $320 would get you a Dlink router with integral 4 port switch and wireless
> access point....
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADSL Modems for 64 bit XP Pro eespiedrop@gmail.com Windows 64bit 2 07-13-2006 03:11 PM
Can you use two ADSL modems in the same house? Iain Cheyne Computer Support 9 04-24-2006 02:38 PM
Wireless ADSL Modems John Wireless Networking 5 11-16-2005 02:56 PM
WTS FS Cisco 678 ADSL Modems Cisco Refurb Qty 100 adam_cdr@yahoo.com Cisco 1 03-03-2005 05:29 PM
2 computers 2 adsl Modems can I use at same time Ockerr Computer Support 5 11-14-2004 10:45 PM



Advertisments