Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NOOOOOoooo! The drivers... I forgot about the drivers!

harry

"Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <9yEqb.5412$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> > Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my life
> > with linux ~never~ easy? Look, I appreciate the link. Thanks Harry.

> blimy you dont ask for much do you
>
> linux is designed by Nerds for Nerds - there slowly getting their head
> around Users

Why do you post no content just to do a bit of name calling, you are just
like roger sheephard.
Does it give you a stiffie or something ?
More linux hating linux bashing.
What thfuk is your problem ?
The guy asked for a solution to a specific question and you just unload your
butt.
Promise have some Linux drivers on their site, but they are binaries for Red
Hat 9

harry

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bof6pd$hdm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Black Wibble wrote:
> > harry wrote:
> >
> >> "The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:60Eqb.5405$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Would this help ?
> >> http://lwn.net/Articles/40899/
> >>
> >> "Some folk I've done some consulting work for bought a zillion
> >> Promise SATA cards. They were able to convince Promise to
> >> release their SATA driver, which was formerly available only as
> >> a binary only kernel module, under the terms of the GPL.
> >>
> >> So <drum-roll, trumpets> here it is: the Promise SATA driver for
> >> the PDC20318, PDC20375, PDC20378, and PDC20618. This driver is
> >> released as-is. It is useful for the
> >>
> >> Promise SATA150 TX4
> >> Promise SATA150 TX2plus
> >> Promise SATA 378
> >> Promise Ultra 618
> >>
> >> cards. As a temporary download location, the GPL'd driver can be
> >> obtained from http://www.busybox.net/pdc-ultra-1.00.0.10.tgz
> >>
> >> Have fun! And many thanks to Promise for contributing the driver
> >> for their cards!"

> > Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my
> > life with linux ~never~ easy? Look, I appreciate the link. Thanks
> > Harry.
> >
> > Tony.

> Just remember how much fun your having...........

More Linux hating Linux bashing from a Wintroll.
Promise have drivers for Red Hat 9.0
Fedora is new.
Once someone in the project compiles and packages the Promise source as
binaries for Fedora then it will just be an rpm.

Russell Smithies

The Black Wibble wrote:
> After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
> away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
> Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
> the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>
> Tony.

is there an NZ mirror for Fedora?

Russell Smithies

Russell Smithies wrote:
> The Black Wibble wrote:
>> After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>> away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>> Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to
>> install the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>>
>> Tony.

> is there an NZ mirror for Fedora?

to answer my own question....
ftp://ftp.redhat.co.nz/pub/linux/dis...rent/i386/iso/

Russell

cowboyz

harry wrote:
> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Tony.

>> Just remember how much fun your having...........

> More Linux hating Linux bashing from a Wintroll.
> Promise have drivers for Red Hat 9.0
> Fedora is new.
> Once someone in the project compiles and packages the Promise source
> as binaries for Fedora then it will just be an rpm.

I not linux bashing. I just offering moral support. - You need it when
trying to install a driver on Linux.

Allistar

Greg Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:07:51 +1300, The Black Wibble
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>>away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>>Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
>>the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>>
>>Tony.

> Stick to a well supported OS not this Lunix Crap..
>
> Plus you will live longer..

What is this "Lunix" thing you keep harping on about? I've never heard of it
before.

Allistar.

Greg Parker

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:55:19 +1300, Allistar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Greg Parker wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:07:51 +1300, The Black Wibble
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>>>away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>>>Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
>>>the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>>>
>>>Tony.

>> Stick to a well supported OS not this Lunix Crap..
>>
>> Plus you will live longer..

>What is this "Lunix" thing you keep harping on about? I've never heard of it
>before.
>
>Allistar.

Its a rhyming thing, Lunix for Lunies..

The Black Wibble

Damnit, I'm good. So, I managed to make a driver disk and now fedora is
installed on my SATA Raid array. There is one or two undefined symbols
in the driver module but at least it works. The next annoyance is
Fedora not recognising my Hitachi CML174SXW LCD because, unlike in
RedHat 9.0, the LCD is not in the list of detectable monitors.
XF86Config is screwed up. Yet some more fun <choke> ahead of me.

Tony.

Allistar

Greg Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:55:19 +1300, Allistar
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Greg Parker wrote:

>>> Stick to a well supported OS not this Lunix Crap..
>>>
>>> Plus you will live longer..

>>What is this "Lunix" thing you keep harping on about? I've never heard of
>>it before.
>>
>>Allistar.

> Its a rhyming thing, Lunix for Lunies..

Aha. You haven't answered the question. What is it?

Allistar.

RecylerMan

harry wrote:

> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bof6pd$hdm$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>The Black Wibble wrote:

>>>Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my
>>>life with linux ~never~ easy? Look, I appreciate the link. Thanks
>>>Harry.
>>>
>>>Tony.

>>Just remember how much fun your having...........

> More Linux hating Linux bashing from a Wintroll.
> Promise have drivers for Red Hat 9.0
> Fedora is new.
> Once someone in the project compiles and packages the Promise source as
> binaries for Fedora then it will just be an rpm.

Its is just that cowboys had a major problem with a skymedia sm200d card
used for ultra support form skymedia is broken to say the least you have
to patch there driver module making package then it wont compile with
the latest gcc it is one sick puppy that card the windows driver is not
much better needing admin rites to work at all oh yes if the driver or
card crashes you have to re boot no mater what OS you are using I found
the windows drivers being too flacky the loest being for win2K and XP
win 95 worked realy well the OS would crash faster then the driver or at
least I would re booth the thing before a crash.

--
RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z