Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NOOOOOoooo! The drivers... I forgot about the drivers!

The Black Wibble

After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!

Tony.

harry

"The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:60Eqb.5405$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
> away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
> Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
> the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>
> Tony.

Would this help ?
http://lwn.net/Articles/40899/

"Some folk I've done some consulting work for bought a zillion
Promise SATA cards. They were able to convince Promise to
release their SATA driver, which was formerly available only as
a binary only kernel module, under the terms of the GPL.

So <drum-roll, trumpets> here it is: the Promise SATA driver for
the PDC20318, PDC20375, PDC20378, and PDC20618. This driver is
released as-is. It is useful for the

Promise SATA150 TX4
Promise SATA150 TX2plus
Promise SATA 378
Promise Ultra 618

cards. As a temporary download location, the GPL'd driver can be
obtained from http://www.busybox.net/pdc-ultra-1.00.0.10.tgz

Have fun! And many thanks to Promise for contributing the driver
for their cards!"

techie

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:07:51 -0600, The Black Wibble wrote:

> After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
> away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
> Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
> the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!

I run into that a lot with FreeBSD. Being at the mercy of hardware
manufacturers who don't give a damn about FreeBSD is why I try to buy only
hardware for which open-source drivers are available. Not that I know how to
make the linux->FreeBSD driver conversions myself, but if the source code is
out there I can always find a driver somewhere that somebody has already
kludged up.

There was an article on NewsForge last week about a company that makes a
wrapper for Windows drivers that lets you use them under Linux. This is
looking interesting:

http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_bcmwl5dldr.php

MONTREAL, QC Oct. 10, 2003 - Linuxant inc., a
world-class supplier of consulting, software development
and professional support services is announcing the
immediate availability of DriverLoader?, a revolutionary
compatibility-wrapper allowing standard Windows NDIS
drivers shipped by hardware vendors to be used as-is on
Linux x86 systems.

DriverLoader technology is the ideal Linux solution to
support devices for which no adequate native open-source
drivers are available. It also allows vendors to
drastically reduce time to market or eliminate the need
to support multiple drivers for Windows and Linux. By
using the same driver on both platforms, significant
resources can be saved.

Thanks to DriverLoader, owners of 802.11g 54mbps
Wireless LAN devices (CardBus and PCI) based on Broadcom
chipsets can now use their devices under Linux, enjoying
the full speed of the latest Wireless LAN technology
with the freedom of the renowned open-source
operating-system.

<snip>

DriverLoader packages can be downloaded from Linuxant's
web site at no cost*. The software is easy to install on
any supported Linux distribution (RedHat, SuSE,
Mandrake, Debian) with any recent 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, and
includes a user-friendly Web-based configuration system.

And a similar article here:

http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_dldr.php

LINUXANT RELEASES NEW DRIVERLOADER FOR INTEL CENTRINO,
INTERSIL, BROADCOM, ATHEROS, AND OTHER WIRELESS LAN
DEVICES

The Black Wibble

harry wrote:

> "The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:60Eqb.5405$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>>away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>>Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
>>the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>>
>>Tony.
>>

> Would this help ?
> http://lwn.net/Articles/40899/
>
> "Some folk I've done some consulting work for bought a zillion
> Promise SATA cards. They were able to convince Promise to
> release their SATA driver, which was formerly available only as
> a binary only kernel module, under the terms of the GPL.
>
> So <drum-roll, trumpets> here it is: the Promise SATA driver for
> the PDC20318, PDC20375, PDC20378, and PDC20618. This driver is
> released as-is. It is useful for the
>
> Promise SATA150 TX4
> Promise SATA150 TX2plus
> Promise SATA 378
> Promise Ultra 618
>
> cards. As a temporary download location, the GPL'd driver can be
> obtained from http://www.busybox.net/pdc-ultra-1.00.0.10.tgz
>
> Have fun! And many thanks to Promise for contributing the driver
> for their cards!"

Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my life
with linux ~never~ easy? Look, I appreciate the link. Thanks Harry.

Tony.

The Black Wibble

techie wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 21:07:51 -0600, The Black Wibble wrote:
>

>>After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>>away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>>Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
>>the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!

> I run into that a lot with FreeBSD. Being at the mercy of hardware
> manufacturers who don't give a damn about FreeBSD is why I try to buy only
> hardware for which open-source drivers are available. Not that I know how to
> make the linux->FreeBSD driver conversions myself, but if the source code is
> out there I can always find a driver somewhere that somebody has already
> kludged up.

I want instant gratification. There's no Promise drivers available for
fedora, yet the OS has been out for well over 24hrs. Talk about slack.

> There was an article on NewsForge last week about a company that makes a
> wrapper for Windows drivers that lets you use them under Linux. This is
> looking interesting:
>
> http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_bcmwl5dldr.php

It's a wrapper for Windows NDIS drivers only, but it looks promising.

Promise... grrrrr...

Tony.

cowboyz

The Black Wibble wrote:
> harry wrote:
>
>> "The Black Wibble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:60Eqb.5405$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>>> away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>>> Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to
>>> install the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>>>
>>> Tony.
>>>

>> Would this help ?
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/40899/
>>
>> "Some folk I've done some consulting work for bought a zillion
>> Promise SATA cards. They were able to convince Promise to
>> release their SATA driver, which was formerly available only as
>> a binary only kernel module, under the terms of the GPL.
>>
>> So <drum-roll, trumpets> here it is: the Promise SATA driver for
>> the PDC20318, PDC20375, PDC20378, and PDC20618. This driver is
>> released as-is. It is useful for the
>>
>> Promise SATA150 TX4
>> Promise SATA150 TX2plus
>> Promise SATA 378
>> Promise Ultra 618
>>
>> cards. As a temporary download location, the GPL'd driver can be
>> obtained from http://www.busybox.net/pdc-ultra-1.00.0.10.tgz
>>
>> Have fun! And many thanks to Promise for contributing the driver
>> for their cards!"

> Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my
> life with linux ~never~ easy? Look, I appreciate the link. Thanks
> Harry.
>
> Tony.

Just remember how much fun your having...........

Gordon

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:44:10 +1300, The Black Wibble wrote:

> Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my life
> with linux ~never~ easy?

It is a real bugger being ahead of everyone else.

It is a numbers game. As the Penguin appears on more desk tops then there
will become a point of critial mass, read profits are here, when
manufactures will release drivers for Linux along with ones for other OS.

BTW, I see a cahnge already. Some short time ago, manufactures thought
there was something odd about Penguins requiring drivers. Now they see the
demand and do supply slowly. They do acknowledge the Penguin.

Steven H

In article <9yEqb.5412$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Ok, I'll try to make a driver disk from the source code. Why is my life
> with linux ~never~ easy? Look, I appreciate the link. Thanks Harry.

blimy you dont ask for much do you

linux is designed by Nerds for Nerds - there slowly getting their head
around Users

Steven H

Greg Parker

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:07:51 +1300, The Black Wibble <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
>the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>
>Tony.

Stick to a well supported OS not this Lunix Crap..

Plus you will live longer..

techie

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:31:55 -0600, Greg Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:07:51 +1300, The Black Wibble
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>After over two hours downloading the fedora ISOs and finshing inches
>>away from my download cap for the month, it pops into my brain that
>>Promise have no SATA drivers for fedora. I can't even begin to install
>>the bloody thing on my RAID array. Fark!!!
>>
>>Tony.

> Stick to a well supported OS not this Lunix Crap..
>
> Plus you will live longer..

Yeah, but Windows will warp your mind.

Look what it's done to woger.