Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > recall on iBooks???

recall on iBooks???

Russell Smithies

I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
availible in NZ because of a recall.
This sounds a bit odd,
Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
bullshitting.

thanx
Russell

AD.

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:02:30 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:

> I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
> availible in NZ because of a recall.
> This sounds a bit odd,
> Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
> bullshitting.

Well relatively minor issues with Powerbooks are front page news on
Slashdot, Ars Technica etc. I haven't seen anything about iBooks anywhere,
so it does sound a bit dodgy. A recall would be very big news in
comparison.

Are these with the new G4 iBooks?

I'm thinking about getting one myself (it would be my first Mac), and have
noticed they haven't yet turned up on Magnum Macs website even though the
new Powerbooks only took a day or two to appear. I did spot them here
http://www.mac-line.co.nz/ , but haven't checked whether they actually
have any in stock.

Cheers
Anton

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:02:30 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:
>
> > I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
> > availible in NZ because of a recall.
> > This sounds a bit odd,
> > Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
> > bullshitting.

> Well relatively minor issues with Powerbooks are front page news on
> Slashdot, Ars Technica etc. I haven't seen anything about iBooks anywhere,
> so it does sound a bit dodgy. A recall would be very big news in
> comparison.
>
> Are these with the new G4 iBooks?
>
> I'm thinking about getting one myself (it would be my first Mac), and have
> noticed they haven't yet turned up on Magnum Macs website even though the
> new Powerbooks only took a day or two to appear. I did spot them here
> http://www.mac-line.co.nz/ , but haven't checked whether they actually
> have any in stock.

I bought mine when the 900Mhz model had just been released. It took
about 1 1/2 weeks to get here, and I've noticed Magnum Mac doesn't
update their website that frequently. Here is a couple of other Kiwi
websites to check out for Mac products:
http://www.totallymac.com/
http://www.macwarehouse.co.nz/

My advice as a recent iBook owner?
This was my first Mac and I absolutely love it, the only thing I would
change is that I should have gone for the 12" Powerbook instead. The
extra power would be better for me and OS X (stick as much RAM into it
as you can afford) - but this may have been resolved with the new G4
iBooks.

--
madknoxie

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 15:02:30 +1300, Russell Smithies wrote:
> >
> > > I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
> > > availible in NZ because of a recall.
> > > This sounds a bit odd,
> > > Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
> > > bullshitting.

> > Well relatively minor issues with Powerbooks are front page news on
> > Slashdot, Ars Technica etc. I haven't seen anything about iBooks anywhere,
> > so it does sound a bit dodgy. A recall would be very big news in
> > comparison.
> >
> > Are these with the new G4 iBooks?
> >
> > I'm thinking about getting one myself (it would be my first Mac), and have
> > noticed they haven't yet turned up on Magnum Macs website even though the
> > new Powerbooks only took a day or two to appear. I did spot them here
> > http://www.mac-line.co.nz/ , but haven't checked whether they actually
> > have any in stock.

> I bought mine when the 900Mhz model had just been released. It took
> about 1 1/2 weeks to get here, and I've noticed Magnum Mac doesn't
> update their website that frequently. Here is a couple of other Kiwi
> websites to check out for Mac products:
> http://www.totallymac.com/
> http://www.macwarehouse.co.nz/
>
> My advice as a recent iBook owner?
> This was my first Mac and I absolutely love it, the only thing I would
> change is that I should have gone for the 12" Powerbook instead. The
> extra power would be better for me and OS X (stick as much RAM into it
> as you can afford) - but this may have been resolved with the new G4
> iBooks.

No, I think he's mixing one event with another.

It's quite common to see an end to stock shortly before new stock is
announced. The 15" PowerBooks dwindled completely and then, sure enough,
Apple announced new PowerBooks. In fact, it's issues with these
PowerBooks that your friend is probably talking about.

With regards the G4 iBook, I think that there is none available because
once again it was dwindling in numbers, and then Apple announced the G4
iBooks. As far as I'm aware, none of those have come into the country
yet, so they can't be in the process of being recalled.

A good site for issues is http://www.macfixit.com

Phil

Piz0r dud3

Why would a salesperson lie and say bad things about his own products?

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fZhqb.9957$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
> availible in NZ because of a recall.
> This sounds a bit odd,
> Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
> bullshitting.
>
> thanx
> Russell

Daniel Parker

In article <fZhqb.9957$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a friend trying to buy an iBook but he's been told there are none
> availible in NZ because of a recall.
> This sounds a bit odd,
> Does anyone know if it's true and what the problem is or is the salesman
> bullshitting.

Hi,

This is NOT true..

The New G4 iBooks have not been available due to the fact they are a new
product, and stock has not arrived here yet.. But..

Tomorrow morning we will have heaps of the entry level (800Mhz G4) model
arriving..

Regards
Daniel
Totally Mac
http://www.totallymac.com

Peter KERR

Daniel Parker <(E-Mail Removed)> claimed:

> The New G4 iBooks have not been available due to the fact they are a new
> product, and stock has not arrived here yet.. But..
>
> Tomorrow morning we will have heaps of the entry level (800Mhz G4) model
> arriving..

lucky you

Situation used to be that NZ resellers were on the daggy end of a long
supply line via Apple Australia, and all Oz resellers got statisfied
before NZ. This meant if there were any returned faulty units in Oz,
they got new replacements and the refurbished ones eventually ended up
here. I heard that this situation was supposed to be cleaned up, and the
speedy arrival of crisp fresh G5s suggest maybe it has...

I'm a Trampoline

Peter KERR wrote:

> Situation used to be that NZ resellers were on the daggy end of a long
> supply line via Apple Australia, and all Oz resellers got statisfied
> before NZ. This meant if there were any returned faulty units in Oz,
> they got new replacements and the refurbished ones eventually ended up
> here. I heard that this situation was supposed to be cleaned up, and the
> speedy arrival of crisp fresh G5s suggest maybe it has...

When did this stop? I'm wondering if my iBook is a refurbished one. It's
just comming up to six months old, and it's been repaired twice in that
time for the screen not going. That's more than 3 weeks I've been
without it since I got it, and I've had to pay freight costs both times
as well.

I hope if the power adapter goes it's before the warranty's up. My
sister had the end of hers repaired (frayed wire on the bit that plugs
into the computer), and it cost $65 plus GST (they only cost about $200
plus GST to buy). Let that be a warning, don't let Apple fix something
like that if someone else could.

URL recall BobB Firefox 2 06-25-2005 08:45 AM
Attention MCNGP Chycks: Important recall =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 10 12-16-2004 11:05 PM
Segway recall Sentient Fluid Computer Support 8 09-28-2003 07:46 PM
Canon G3 recall Cindy Duncan Digital Photography 12 08-30-2003 01:39 AM
Sony DSC-P1 Recall Dan Epstein Digital Photography 0 07-22-2003 08:04 PM

Advertisments