Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lunix is not for home users...

Lunix is not for home users...

harry

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.11.17.11.15.54.882888@TRACKER...
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:08:56 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>
> > Most if not all PCs that came with 98(or SE) *will* have USB ports.
> > 95 will be marginal, but anything from 96 onwards will probably have

USB.

> The PC which I bought in '98 did not have any usable USB ports.
>
> I think that that MOBO was capable of having them - if the manufacturer
> had chosen to wire them up.
>
> Lennier

AT motherboards with USB on them didn't have onboard PS2, serial, or
parallel ports either, it was left up to the manufacturer to wire them up,
you got a big Din Keyboard socket and that was it.

T.N.O.

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
>>95B had USB support... Linux didn't at the time.

> ITYM 95C.

Nah, 95B you could download and install the patch, 95C came with it on
the CD, but not applied.

> Linux did, as a supplementary set of packages - just like the USB support
> in win95C

I see... was it good? well, was it as good(bad?) as win95 support?

T.N.O.

Lennier wrote:
>>Most if not all PCs that came with 98(or SE) *will* have USB ports.
>>95 will be marginal, but anything from 96 onwards will probably have USB.

> The PC which I bought in '98 did not have any usable USB ports.
> I think that that MOBO was capable of having them - if the manufacturer
> had chosen to wire them up.

Where did you get that from? most odd... but still, most PC's would have
had USB, hell, my mates Pentium 90 bought in 97(from memory) with 16MB
ram had USB, albeit with no OS support