Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MS outlook crashes in contacts

MS outlook crashes in contacts

Matthew Strickland

Hi all,

I have a user than can happily select the contacts folder from the folder
list, and they see all their contacts no problem.
But as soon as they start a new email, click on 'to' (then the select names
dialog box comes up), Outlook freezes.

Typing in a name in the 'To' field first brings up the name and email
address no problems, only freezes on the 'select names' box.

Ive deleted and reloaded the 'Outlook Address Book', that didnt work, moved
all his contacts to a New Folder, didnt work. Tried without having Outlook
Address Book, stil freezes. Any other ideas?

Outlook XP on Win XP Pro

Matt

steve

Matthew Strickland allegedly said:

> Outlook XP on Win XP Pro
>
> Matt

Outlook 200 on Win98SE works OK.

It's cheaper and more secure, too.

Roady

Have you tried running Help-> Detect and Repair already?

Also is this user connected to an Exchange server? Try recreating (do not
copy) the mailprofile in Control Panel-> Mail-> button Show Profiles

--
Roady
www.sparnaaij.net

Question of the month: How to manage general contact info.
www.sparnaaij.net

-----
"Matthew Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iRTpb.8034$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a user than can happily select the contacts folder from the folder
> list, and they see all their contacts no problem.
> But as soon as they start a new email, click on 'to' (then the select

names
> dialog box comes up), Outlook freezes.
>
> Typing in a name in the 'To' field first brings up the name and email
> address no problems, only freezes on the 'select names' box.
>
> Ive deleted and reloaded the 'Outlook Address Book', that didnt work,

moved
> all his contacts to a New Folder, didnt work. Tried without having Outlook
> Address Book, stil freezes. Any other ideas?
>
> Outlook XP on Win XP Pro
>
> Matt

Matthew Strickland

Well this problem as solved itself for some strange reason, however I had
another machine do it.
This time outlook 2000 on Windows 98.

Creating another contacts folder, moving all the contacts, creating an email
opening the old contacts (which was empty), then moving the contacts back,
deleteing the new folder, and away it goes again.

This didnt work for the XP machine however. I guess there was just something
messed up in the contacts somehow.

Matt

"Matthew Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iRTpb.8034$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a user than can happily select the contacts folder from the folder
> list, and they see all their contacts no problem.
> But as soon as they start a new email, click on 'to' (then the select

names
> dialog box comes up), Outlook freezes.
>
> Typing in a name in the 'To' field first brings up the name and email
> address no problems, only freezes on the 'select names' box.
>
> Ive deleted and reloaded the 'Outlook Address Book', that didnt work,

moved
> all his contacts to a New Folder, didnt work. Tried without having Outlook
> Address Book, stil freezes. Any other ideas?
>
> Outlook XP on Win XP Pro
>
> Matt

T-Boy

In article <FWArb.13844$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Well this problem as solved itself for some strange reason, however I had
> another machine do it.
> This time outlook 2000 on Windows 98.
>
> Creating another contacts folder, moving all the contacts, creating an email
> opening the old contacts (which was empty), then moving the contacts back,
> deleteing the new folder, and away it goes again.
>
> This didnt work for the XP machine however. I guess there was just something
> messed up in the contacts somehow.

If you search your drive for a program named: SCANPST.EXE (the Outlook
"Inbox Repair Tool") - and run that against your .pst file - see if it
corrects anything else.

--
Duncan