Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux Technology Company SUSE LINUX

Novell Announces Agreement to Acquire Leading Enterprise Linux Technology Company SUSE LINUX

Mutley

Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??

http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

techie

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:52:00 -0600, Mutley wrote:

> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??
>
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

Somehow I have a feeling SCO is really going to hate this... )

--
____ ___ _______ ____ ___
/ __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \ / __/ < / http://www.FreeBSD.org

AD.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:52:00 +1300, Mutley wrote:

> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??
>
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

Evolution and Suse Enterprise - looks like a replacement for Groupwise to
me.

They could be banking on having an Exchange compatible Exchange
alternative. I wonder if we'll see a port of Evolution to Windows soon?

Cheers
Anton

harry

techie wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:52:00 -0600, Mutley wrote:
>
>> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??

http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

> Somehow I have a feeling SCO is really going to hate this... )

It includes IBM taking a $50 million stake in Novell.
Perhaps thats why Redhat are focussing on the Redhat Enterprise Linux
branding.

steve

Mutley allegedly said:

> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??

http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

They are still there.....and must have enough money around to acquire SuSE.

With Red Hat climbing up the ladder into IBM-Enterprise land and leaving
"Fedora" behind as the cutting edge 'farm team', this could be a good move
for SuSE and for Novell.....and for for small to medium businesses
especially looking for Linux solutions.

steve

AD. allegedly said:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:52:00 +1300, Mutley wrote:
>
>> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??

http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

> Evolution and Suse Enterprise - looks like a replacement for Groupwise to
> me.
>
> They could be banking on having an Exchange compatible Exchange
> alternative. I wonder if we'll see a port of Evolution to Windows soon?
>
> Cheers
> Anton

Not an easy call. Anything you port to Windows can be subverted by Microsoft
- leaving you with a support headache and customers with sabotaged software
that won't work from time to time after applying MS patches.

Any former DR DOS or OS/2 user knows all too well how Microsoft uses it's
updates to destroy compatibility with competing products.

Better to say to customers: "you want mail? You want Internet? You want an
office suite? Who cares what the OS is? Go Open Source."

Enkidu

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:52:00 +1300, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??
>
>http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press

No. They are sure to stuff it up.

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Enkidu

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:24:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutley allegedly said:
>
>> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??
>>

>http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press
>
>They are still there.....and must have enough money around to acquire SuSE.
>
>With Red Hat climbing up the ladder into IBM-Enterprise land and leaving
>"Fedora" behind as the cutting edge 'farm team', this could be a good move
>for SuSE and for Novell.....and for for small to medium businesses
>especially looking for Linux solutions.

....except that mo one in their right mind would trust anything with
the Novell badge on it. Imagine! They might try to port Groupwise to
Linux!

Enkidu allegedly said:

> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:24:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mutley allegedly said:
>>
>>> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??
>>>

>>http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press
>>
>>They are still there.....and must have enough money around to acquire
>>SuSE.
>>
>>With Red Hat climbing up the ladder into IBM-Enterprise land and leaving
>>"Fedora" behind as the cutting edge 'farm team', this could be a good move
>>for SuSE and for Novell.....and for for small to medium businesses
>>especially looking for Linux solutions.
>>

> ...except that mo one in their right mind would trust anything with
> the Novell badge on it. Imagine! They might try to port Groupwise to
> Linux!

I've never used Groupwise.....though I'm pretty sure you have.

Evolution would be a better bet.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:24:37 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Mutley allegedly said:
> >
> >> Is this a good thing knowing what Novell's past performance..??
> >>

> >http://www.novell.com/news/press/arc...se_nzone_press
> >
> >They are still there.....and must have enough money around to acquire SuSE.
> >
> >With Red Hat climbing up the ladder into IBM-Enterprise land and leaving
> >"Fedora" behind as the cutting edge 'farm team', this could be a good move
> >for SuSE and for Novell.....and for for small to medium businesses
> >especially looking for Linux solutions.
> >

> ...except that mo one in their right mind would trust anything with
> the Novell badge on it. Imagine! They might try to port Groupwise to
> Linux!

Lots of sysadmins are very happy with Netware. They don't listen to pro
MS fud from the likes of you