Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Red Hat Defines end of Red Hat Linux

Red Hat Defines end of Red Hat Linux

steve

Got this in my e-mail overnight:

Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.

This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
migration to another Red Hat solution.

As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
another product in the Red Hat Linux line.

With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing. We understand
that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
and implementation. We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
possible. Details:

****************
If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
years for the price of one.)

****************
In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
to address your migration planning and other questions, such as:

* What are best practices for implementing the migration to Red Hat
Enterprise Linux?

* Are there other migration alternatives?

* How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic at the price
above?

* What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April 30, 2004?

****************

Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
Center:

http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:

https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/

Sincerely,

Red Hat, Inc.

[*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn

--the Red Hat Network Team

Tony

fedora ( what will be left of redhat once all the logo's are removed )
should be up on ftp.wicks.co.nz in a week or so.

http://fedora.redhat.com

news:MHzpb.4684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got this in my e-mail overnight:

> Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.
>
> This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
> discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
> migration to another Red Hat solution.
>
> As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
> errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
> 31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
> Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
> another product in the Red Hat Linux line.
>
> With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
> find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing. We understand
> that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
> and implementation. We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
> customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
> possible. Details:
>
> ****************
> If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
> 28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
> years for the price of one.)
>
> ****************
> In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
> to address your migration planning and other questions, such as:
>
> * What are best practices for implementing the migration to Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux?
>
> * Are there other migration alternatives?
>
> * How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic at the price
> above?
>
> * What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April 30, 2004?
>
> ****************
>
> Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
> whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
> Center:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
>

> Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Red Hat, Inc.
>

>[*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
> regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
>
> --the Red Hat Network Team
>

> --
> defenestrate: The act of throwing Windows out the window and replacing it

on
> your PC with some other operating system.

Mutley

Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
addition US$179.

The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got this in my e-mail overnight:
>
>*********************************************** **
>
>Thank you for being a Red Hat Network customer.
>
>This e-mail provides you with important information about the upcoming
>discontinuation of Red Hat Linux, and resources to assist you with your
>migration to another Red Hat solution.
>
>As previously communicated, Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and
>errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of December
>31, 2003. Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
>Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004. Red Hat does not plan to release
>another product in the Red Hat Linux line.
>
>With the recent announcement of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v.3, you'll
>find migrating to Enterprise Linux appealing. We understand
>that transitioning to another Red Hat solution requires careful planning
>and implementation. We have created a migration plan for Red Hat Network
>customers to help make the transition as simple and seamless as
>possible. Details:
>
>****************
>If you purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic before February
>28, 2004, you will receive 50% off the price for two years.[*] (That's two
>years for the price of one.)
>
>****************
>In addition, we have created a Red Hat Linux Migration Resource Center
>to address your migration planning and other questions, such as:
>
>* What are best practices for implementing the migration to Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux?
>
>* Are there other migration alternatives?
>
>* How do I purchase Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS or ES Basic at the price
> above?
>
>* What if my paid subscription to RHN extends past April 30, 2004?
>
>****************
>
>Find out more about your migration options with product comparisons,
>whitepapers and documentation at the Red Hat Linux Migration Resource
>Center:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
>

>Or read the FAQ written especially for Red Hat Network customers:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/help/rhlmigrationfaq/
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Red Hat, Inc.
>

>[*] Limit 10 units. Higher volume purchase inquiries should contact a
> regional Red Hat sales representative. Contact numbers available at
> http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/rhn
>
>--the Red Hat Network Team

steve

Mutley allegedly said:

> Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
> addition US$179.
>
> The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

They have moved it to a "Mozilla" model. The community develops it, and Red
Hat provide a fixed amount of funding for development. It becomes the "farm
team" for the 'enterprise' version.

The new version will be known as "Fedora Core" or "Fedora".

I have Fedora Beta3 installed on one system.....the V1.0 release is due out
later this week - fingers crossed.

http://fedora.redhat.com

Mutley

steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mutley allegedly said:
>
>> Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
>> addition US$179.
>>
>> The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

>They have moved it to a "Mozilla" model. The community develops it, and Red
>Hat provide a fixed amount of funding for development. It becomes the "farm
>team" for the 'enterprise' version.
>
>The new version will be known as "Fedora Core" or "Fedora".
>
>I have Fedora Beta3 installed on one system.....the V1.0 release is due out
>later this week - fingers crossed.
>
>http://fedora.redhat.com

How does the beta run??

steve

Mutley allegedly said:

> steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Mutley allegedly said:
>>
>>> Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
>>> addition US$179.
>>>
>>> The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

>>They have moved it to a "Mozilla" model. The community develops it, and
>>Red Hat provide a fixed amount of funding for development. It becomes the
>>"farm team" for the 'enterprise' version.
>>
>>The new version will be known as "Fedora Core" or "Fedora".
>>
>>I have Fedora Beta3 installed on one system.....the V1.0 release is due
>>out later this week - fingers crossed.
>>
>>http://fedora.redhat.com

> How does the beta run??

It's been running non-stop for 2 weeks with no issues......but then I have
simply made it a file/print server and left it sitting there crunching
Seti@home work units.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Mutley wrote:
> Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
> addition US$179.
>
> The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

Quite possibly so...Redhat have always been the 'corporate' Linux, and this
move is just a focusing of their core business...

Never mind, plenty of free ones exist still and continue to appear on an
almost daily basis...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

Enkidu

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:41:25 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Mutley wrote:
>> Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
>> addition US$179.
>>
>> The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

>Quite possibly so...Redhat have always been the 'corporate' Linux, and this
>move is just a focusing of their core business...
>
>Never mind, plenty of free ones exist still and continue to appear on an
>almost daily basis...

Suuuuuure! Try moving your core business systems once a year, let
alone "on a daily basis".....

Cheers,

Cliff

that the conspiracy is working.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Enkidu wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:41:25 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi there,
>>
>>Mutley wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds like they have joined the M$ camp of high pricing. Basic
>>>addition US$179.
>>>
>>>The end of free or low cost Linux from Red Hat??

>>Quite possibly so...Redhat have always been the 'corporate' Linux, and this
>>move is just a focusing of their core business...
>>
>>Never mind, plenty of free ones exist still and continue to appear on an
>>almost daily basis...

> Suuuuuure! Try moving your core business systems once a year, let
> alone "on a daily basis".....

Not quite the point I intended to make, I meant that new Linux distros
for us 'mere mortals' appear almost daily, and that we are not stuck
for choice even without a free version of Redhat (or whatever name it
will become)...

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

Enkidu

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 16:25:59 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Enkidu wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:41:25 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi there,

>>>Quite possibly so...Redhat have always been the 'corporate' Linux, and this
>>>move is just a focusing of their core business...
>>>
>>>Never mind, plenty of free ones exist still and continue to appear on an
>>>almost daily basis...

>> Suuuuuure! Try moving your core business systems once a year, let
>> alone "on a daily basis".....

>Not quite the point I intended to make, I meant that new Linux distros
>for us 'mere mortals' appear almost daily, and that we are not stuck
>for choice even without a free version of Redhat (or whatever name it
>will become)...

I have about half a dozen to look after, and I'm not happy, sorry! If
I'd got about 20, I'd be homicidal......