Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > "Westpac" scam

"Westpac" scam

GraB

Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
to Westpac:

"Dear Westpac Bank Member,

This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
Customer ID and Password.
This is done for your protection --- because some of
our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
we must verify it. "

I hope no-one takes this seriously.

Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
articles lost.

Coll

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:48:54 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
>www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
>to Westpac:
>
>"Dear Westpac Bank Member,
>
>This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
>address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
>below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
>Customer ID and Password.
>This is done for your protection --- because some of
>our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
>we must verify it. "
>

>I hope no-one takes this seriously.
>
>Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
>articles lost.

Don't worry . A hundred or so posts have already referred to that spam.
--

Col

A: Top-posters.

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> GraB wrote:
> Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
> www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
> to Westpac:
>
> "Dear Westpac Bank Member,
>
> This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
> address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
> below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
> Customer ID and Password.
> This is done for your protection --- because some of
> our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
> we must verify it. "
>

> I hope no-one takes this seriously.
>
> Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
> articles lost.

I know. Grrr...

I got it too. It's a type I've never seen before. The link given in the
email is <http://www.westpac.com.nz:(E-Mail Removed).
rU/?nTR5Tov6dJ0Dt3Z> which, once you ignore the crap on the front takes
you to <http://xwh9fspf3.da.ru>. That page redirects to <http://www.
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)/nz/> which is of course really just <http://
jablow.kir.jp/nz/>. The strange thing is that <http://jablow.kir.jp>
seems to be a music-related site. I wonder if their site has been
hijacked?

There were a couple of give-aways I noticed straight away. The first was
westpac.COM.nz instead of .co.nz, and the second was the scammer forgot
to put up a copy of the Westpac icon, so my web browser loaded the one
from the site root, which was the icon for the music site.

PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
order at http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz

Nick Smith

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:48:54 +1300, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
>www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
>to Westpac:
>
>"Dear Westpac Bank Member,
>
>This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
>address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
>below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
>Customer ID and Password.
>This is done for your protection --- because some of
>our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
>we must verify it. "
>

>I hope no-one takes this seriously.
>
>Couldn't post it earlier because IHUG news server was down with all
>articles lost.

100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
use the Internet..

Invisible

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:28:33 +1300, Dick Woger Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
>use the Internet..

The biggest idiot of all hath spoken....

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Got Spam e-mail today (got past IHUG Spam filter) from
> www.westpac.com.nz asking me to confirm e-mail though I do not belong
> to Westpac:
>
> "Dear Westpac Bank Member,
>
> This email was sent by the Westpac server to verify your e-mail
> address. You must complete this process by clicking on the link
> below and entering in the small window your Westpac Banking
> Customer ID and Password.
> This is done for your protection --- because some of
> our members no longer have access to their email addresses and
> we must verify it. "
>

> I hope no-one takes this seriously.

As bad as the ebay spoof I received the other day, wanting me to
'reconfirm my address and credit card details'.
I scratched my head and thought 'but I've never given them those in the
first place!' - then I woke up to what was going on. Very clevery spoofed
http link, too.

They even had the gall to send me another, a few days later, claiming my
trading priviledges had been curtailed because I didn't reply!

-P.

GraB

>As bad as the ebay spoof I received the other day, wanting me to
>'reconfirm my address and credit card details'.
>I scratched my head and thought 'but I've never given them those in the
>first place!' - then I woke up to what was going on. Very clevery spoofed
>http link, too.
>
>They even had the gall to send me another, a few days later, claiming my
>trading priviledges had been curtailed because I didn't reply!

Yes, I had one a few weeks ago telling me that nearly $300 had been
deducted from my "money-laundering account"!

Nicolaas Hawkins

On 03 Nov 2003 , Invisible wrote :

> On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:28:33 +1300, Dick Woger Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach
>>idiots to use the Internet..

> The biggest idiot of all hath spoken....

Can't expect much else from one with his level of unintelligence.

--
Nicolaas.

T.N.O.

Nick Smith wrote:
> 100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
> use the Internet..

I tend to agree with you, it seems that the only way people learn, is to
get taken for the gullible idiots that they are.

Jerry

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:56:47 +1300, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nick Smith wrote:
>> 100 stupid people fell in so far and no come back, this will teach idiots to
>> use the Internet..

>I tend to agree with you, it seems that the only way people learn, is to
>get taken for the gullible idiots that they are.

You might be right. According to the Norton site, the current #1
virus is w32.mimail.a@mm, which requires people to open an attachment

From: james@<current domain> (The from address may be spoofed to
appear that it is coming from the current domain)

Subject: Re[2]: our private photos [random sequence of letters]

Message:
Hello Dear!,

Finally i've found possibility to right u, my lovely girl
All our photos which i've made at the beach (even when u're without ur
bh)
photos are great! This evening i'll come and we'll make the best SEX

Right now enjoy the photos.

Kiss, James.
[random sequence of letters]

Note: Photos.zip contains only one file, photos.jpg.exe.

If someone is dumb enough to open an attachment to that, especially
after all the publicity about viruses, the deserve whatever they get

Jerry