Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > DNS recursion question while studying for 70-293

DNS recursion question while studying for 70-293

Kevin Porter

Ok, I think I understand that if I have a server with a couple of forwarders
configured and recursion disabled, it will query the servers listed as
forwarders and then return a negative if it can't resolve the query with the
forwarders.

My question is about the servers that are queried as forwarders (DNS B & C): if
those servers do not have recursion disabled, will they use recursion to answer
the query? Or is there something special about the query that tells the servers
to only answer if they themselves know the answer or are authoratative?

(forwarders)
workstation -> DNS A ----- DNS B
\
\---DNS C

Thanks - Kevin

Wayne

"Kevin Porter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ok, I think I understand that if I have a server with a couple of
> forwarders
> configured and recursion disabled, it will query the servers listed as
> forwarders and then return a negative if it can't resolve the query with
> the
> forwarders.
>
> My question is about the servers that are queried as forwarders (DNS B &
> C): if
> those servers do not have recursion disabled, will they use recursion to
> answer
> the query? Or is there something special about the query that tells the
> servers
> to only answer if they themselves know the answer or are authoratative?
>

> (forwarders)
> workstation -> DNS A ----- DNS B
> \
> \---DNS C
>

> Thanks - Kevin

G'day Kevin,
go to Google and type in the following (minus quotes) "dns forwarding and
recursion windows server 2003 site:microsoft.com" . Do some reading and
research, try disabling recursion and then enable forwarding, play a bit,
read some more and then ask us if you still don't quite understand.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver