Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's

NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's

Bruce Simpson

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:46:35 +1300, "Ralph Mason"
<masonralph_at_yahoo_dot_com@thisisnotarealaddress .com> wrote:

>NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
>which I understand is doing very well anyway.
>
>No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
>release.
>
>Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over inflated
>price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in other
>parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.

This restriction is only for those who are importing for resale. You
can still buy DVDs from Amazon for your own use.

I wrote a column on this subject a week or two ago.

Ralph Mason

NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
which I understand is doing very well anyway.

No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
release.

Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over inflated
price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in other
parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.

What comes next?

Ralph

T.N.O.

Ralph Mason wrote:
> What comes next?

Computer chip implants in your head...
They are all after you, there is no conspiracy.

Ralph Mason

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnp6ai$149boe$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Ralph Mason wrote:
> > What comes next?

> Computer chip implants in your head...
> They are all after you, there is no conspiracy.

I was thinking more along the lines of some legislation that all computers
brought must be brought with a copy of windows installed. Because after all
if you didn't buy it with windows you would be pirating it.

Makes just as much sense to me.

Ralph

E. Scrooge

"Ralph Mason" <masonralph_at_yahoo_dot_com@thisisnotarealaddress .com> wrote
in message news:nOUnb.1892$(E-Mail Removed)...

> NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
> which I understand is doing very well anyway.
>
> No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
> release.
>
> Seems to me it does nothing more than make sure that we pay an over

inflated
> price. If the studios are happy to sell the DVD's at a given price in

other
> parts of the world, we should be free to buy them.
>
> What comes next?
>
> Ralph

The private individual can damn near import what they like. As far as DVD
imports go retailers like the Warehouse can't import more recent ones.

E. Scrooge

steve

Ralph Mason allegedly said:

> NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
> which I understand is doing very well anyway.
>
> No longer can you Parallel import DVD's within 9 months of it's theater
> release.

For re-sale.

You and I can do what we like for private use.

Disco Stu

Ralph Mason wrote:
> NZ Bans Parallel import DVD's - Said to 'protect' the NZ cinema industry,
> which I understand is doing very well anyway.

The provincial Cinema screening industry was suffering under Parallel
importing.

Consumers preferred to watch cheaper imported DVD's than see more
expensive 1st print films at provincial theaters (who had to wait so
they could afford pre screened - basicly meaning '2nd hand' prints).

End result: Consumer choice 0, Provincial Theaters 1

T.N.O.

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> Sounds daft to me if they've included this sort of thing ... but it
> wouldn't be the first daft law ever passed

Is it true that you still cant legally buy Alcohol from dwarfs on a
Tuesday afternoon?

I read this years ago, it *was* a law in NZ from way back, but yeah,
don't even know where to start to look for that one.

T.N.O.

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> Surely this won't matter when the cinemas go all digital ?

When... that could be a long way off...

And surely when it does happen, the price will go down as the there is
no physical film to make and print to, just copy, paste onto a new Hdd?

T.N.O.

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> but would the movie going public see any reduction in
> ticket prices ? ... well ... why would they do that ?

Thats like saying that Telecom should change the price of DSL of their
own free will... where is the incentive.