Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Recurring Ad-Aware object

Recurring Ad-Aware object

Invisible

This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in Ad-aware.
Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?

RegData
Data :
Rootkey : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Object : regfile\shell\open\command
Vendor:Windows
Category:Malware
Object Type:RegData
Size:-
Location:regfile\shell\open\command "" ()
Last Activity:29-10-2003
Risk LevelLow
Commentossible virus infection, REG file extension compromised

Evil Bastard

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:22:02 +1300, Invisible wrote:

> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in Ad-aware.
> Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?

Whatever it is, I run Linux, and haven't seen a single piece of adware *,
spyware, scumware, malware, jackware or any other software which in any
way compromises my choices.

Linux is a bit of a techno-geek esoteric pain in the ass when you first
get into it, but it's only a matter of time before it becomes second
nature. Kind of like growing from crawling to walking, or from a tricycle
to a normal bike.

Also, you soon discover that what makes Linux a little intimidating at the
outset is the way one's mind has been moulded into the Microsoft paradigm.
As you settle into the Linux paradigm, you will never want to use Windows
again. And, you'll discover an entire universe of free, secure, powerfully
flexible software.

The best place to start with linux is to download and install Mandrake.
It's highly windows-like, so won't be too traumatic a change. You may stay
with Mandrake, or upgrade to Debian (a common favourite), or even Gentoo,
LFS or one of the BSD family.

Trust me, Invisible - a whole new wonderful world of freedom awaits you.

Cheers
EB

* the only piece of 'adware' running on my linux box is Opera v7 - and
then, it's not my main browser.

~misfit~

Invisible wrote:
> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in
> Ad-aware. Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?
>

> RegData
> Data :
> Rootkey : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> Object : regfile\shell\open\command
> Vendor:Windows
> Category:Malware
> Object Type:RegData
> Size:-
> Location:regfile\shell\open\command "" ()
> Last Activity:29-10-2003
> Risk LevelLow
> Commentossible virus infection, REG file extension compromised

No idea. Have you tried running SpyBot Search and Destroy? I find they work
well together and each finds and removes things the other has trouble with.
I run them both (with the latest definitions) at least weekly and (fingers
crossed) they've kept my PC clean AFAICT.
--
~misfit~

Lennier

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:36:39 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

> Also, you soon discover that what makes Linux a little intimidating at the
> outset is the way one's mind has been moulded into the Microsoft paradigm.
> As you settle into the Linux paradigm, you will never want to use Windows
> again.

Yup - agreed.

Lennier

Invisible

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:39:07 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote:

>Invisible wrote:
>> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in
>> Ad-aware. Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?
>>

>> RegData
>> Data :
>> Rootkey : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
>> Object : regfile\shell\open\command
>> Vendor:Windows
>> Category:Malware
>> Object Type:RegData
>> Size:-
>> Location:regfile\shell\open\command "" ()
>> Last Activity:29-10-2003
>> Risk LevelLow
>> Commentossible virus infection, REG file extension compromised

>No idea. Have you tried running SpyBot Search and Destroy? I find they work
>well together and each finds and removes things the other has trouble with.
>I run them both (with the latest definitions) at least weekly and (fingers
>crossed) they've kept my PC clean AFAICT.

Spybot doesn't pick it up. It's weird that it keeps coming back.

~misfit~

Invisible wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:39:07 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote:
>
>> Invisible wrote:
>>> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in
>>> Ad-aware. Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?
>>>

>>> RegData
>>> Data :
>>> Rootkey : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
>>> Object : regfile\shell\open\command
>>> Vendor:Windows
>>> Category:Malware
>>> Object Type:RegData
>>> Size:-
>>> Location:regfile\shell\open\command "" ()
>>> Last Activity:29-10-2003
>>> Risk LevelLow
>>> Commentossible virus infection, REG file extension compromised

>> No idea. Have you tried running SpyBot Search and Destroy? I find
>> they work well together and each finds and removes things the other
>> has trouble with. I run them both (with the latest definitions) at
>> least weekly and (fingers crossed) they've kept my PC clean AFAICT.

> Spybot doesn't pick it up. It's weird that it keeps coming back.

Bugger.
--
~misfit~

Warwick

<postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:22:02 +1300, Invisible wrote:
>
>> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in Ad-aware.
>> Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?

>Whatever it is, I run Linux, and haven't seen a single piece of adware *,
>spyware, scumware, malware, jackware or any other software which in any
>way compromises my choices.
>
>Linux is a bit of a techno-geek esoteric pain in the ass when you first
>get into it, but it's only a matter of time before it becomes second
>nature. Kind of like growing from crawling to walking, or from a tricycle
>to a normal bike.
>
>Also, you soon discover that what makes Linux a little intimidating at the
>outset is the way one's mind has been moulded into the Microsoft paradigm.
>As you settle into the Linux paradigm, you will never want to use Windows
>again. And, you'll discover an entire universe of free, secure, powerfully
>flexible software.
>
>The best place to start with linux is to download and install Mandrake.
>It's highly windows-like, so won't be too traumatic a change. You may stay
>with Mandrake, or upgrade to Debian (a common favourite), or even Gentoo,
>LFS or one of the BSD family.
>
>Trust me, Invisible - a whole new wonderful world of freedom awaits you.
>
>Cheers
>EB
>
>* the only piece of 'adware' running on my linux box is Opera v7 - and
>then, it's not my main browser.

I am pleased you have managed to convert so completely - however I
don't believe everyone can do it.

Ive been using linux and windows for several years.

I still need my windows box to play games on, use snowie and C Builder
cheers

but to get on topic - Ive never had a recurring problem in adaware
like that.
Sounds as if one of the applications on the machine is altering the
registry subtly everytime it runs, and that application is running at
least once a day. Perhaps you can isolate the guilty app.

I would add tho that recently I ran adaware and noticed that it
requires an dat file in the same way AV does. I updated mine, re ran
adaware and found 25 new objects.

So adaware is now updated as frequently as the AV, something I had not
been doing beforehand.

Best
Warwick.

~misfit~

Warwick wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 00:36:39 +1300, Evil Bastard
> <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:22:02 +1300, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in
>>> Ad-aware. Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?

>> Whatever it is, I run Linux, and haven't seen a single piece of
>> adware *, spyware, scumware, malware, jackware or any other software
>> which in any way compromises my choices.
>>
>> Linux is a bit of a techno-geek esoteric pain in the ass when you
>> first get into it, but it's only a matter of time before it becomes
>> second nature. Kind of like growing from crawling to walking, or
>> from a tricycle to a normal bike.
>>
>> Also, you soon discover that what makes Linux a little intimidating
>> at the outset is the way one's mind has been moulded into the
>> Microsoft paradigm. As you settle into the Linux paradigm, you will
>> never want to use Windows again. And, you'll discover an entire
>> universe of free, secure, powerfully flexible software.
>>
>> The best place to start with linux is to download and install
>> Mandrake. It's highly windows-like, so won't be too traumatic a
>> change. You may stay with Mandrake, or upgrade to Debian (a common
>> favourite), or even Gentoo, LFS or one of the BSD family.
>>
>> Trust me, Invisible - a whole new wonderful world of freedom awaits
>> you.
>>
>> Cheers
>> EB
>>
>> * the only piece of 'adware' running on my linux box is Opera v7 -
>> and then, it's not my main browser.

> I am pleased you have managed to convert so completely - however I
> don't believe everyone can do it.
>
> Ive been using linux and windows for several years.
>
> I still need my windows box to play games on, use snowie and C Builder
> cheers
>

> but to get on topic - Ive never had a recurring problem in adaware
> like that.
> Sounds as if one of the applications on the machine is altering the
> registry subtly everytime it runs, and that application is running at
> least once a day. Perhaps you can isolate the guilty app.
>
> I would add tho that recently I ran adaware and noticed that it
> requires an dat file in the same way AV does. I updated mine, re ran
> adaware and found 25 new objects.
>
> So adaware is now updated as frequently as the AV, something I had not
> been doing beforehand.

There was a whole new kernal for AdAware released (1.81?) a week or so ago.
I always hit the 'check for updates' or whatever it's labeled before doing a
scan and a lot of the time there is a new definitions file available. They
aren't big downloads either, usually less than a minute on 56K. Same with
SpyBot.
--
~misfit~

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, walk@all-
over.me says...
> This turd appears daily, even after clearing & quarantining it in Ad-aware.
> Virus scan is clean. Any ideas what the hell it is?
>

> RegData
> Data :
> Rootkey : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> Object : regfile\shell\open\command
> Vendor:Windows
> Category:Malware
> Object Type:RegData
> Size:-
> Location:regfile\shell\open\command "" ()
> Last Activity:29-10-2003
> Risk LevelLow
> Commentossible virus infection, REG file extension compromised

The correct value for this key (string) should be:
regedit.exe "%1"

not
"" ()

Maybe change it - and rescan - see what you get then.

--
Duncan

steve

Evil Bastard allegedly said:

> Also, you soon discover that what makes Linux a little intimidating at the
> outset is the way one's mind has been moulded into the Microsoft paradigm.
> As you settle into the Linux paradigm, you will never want to use Windows
> again. And, you'll discover an entire universe of free, secure, powerfully
> flexible software.

This is the sort of thing you and I and many others know......but to folks
who don't know it, it's almost like trying to explain colour to the blind.
They hear the worlds but just.....don't......get.......it.

It's one of those things you have to experience to really 'know'.

recurring problem of JMF working only inside Eclipse ted holden Java 0 05-09-2005 10:01 AM
Recurring spyware AK Computer Support 6 10-28-2003 07:30 PM
Recurring problem, getting rid of extra space (no <br>)??? fitwell HTML 2 10-20-2003 01:27 PM
Re: GUI for creating recurring schedule T ASP .Net 1 10-16-2003 06:57 PM
dial up connection box recurring Kevin Speed Computer Support 7 09-16-2003 03:56 PM

Advertisments