Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WinXP: upgrading hard drive without reinstalling Windows

WinXP: upgrading hard drive without reinstalling Windows

John Smith

OK, I want a bigger HD, but I don't want to have to reinstall
everything on my 'puter. It can be done with specific programs, but I
want to know how it's done without a 3rd party program.

Here's how I THINK it may be done:

Format new HD in appropriate type (ie fat32, ntfs etc)

Attach both HD's to system

Go to control panel and remove 1st HD from system

Copy over every file, directory (incl. empty ones), every hidden and
system file, everything except the swapfile. Make sure no files are
open (they can't be copied)

Set the boot sector of new HD so that it boots

Remove 1st HD, change jumpers etc

Set the partition table so that it's seen (fdisk?)

etc etc.

So, is there a definitive list?

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas Sherlock

John Smith wrote:
<Snip endless steps>

> Remove 1st HD, change jumpers etc
>
> Set the partition table so that it's seen (fdisk?)
>
> etc etc.
>
> So, is there a definitive list?

Or, just use the tool provided by your new hard drive's manufacturer. It
will do ALL of this for you from a bootable CD or floppy in a SINGLE step.

You couldn't copy every file on your old harddisk to your new harddrive from
within windows, since lots of the files will be "Locked" or in use.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Nick Smith

On 28 Oct 2003 22:22:49 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Smith) wrote:

>OK, I want a bigger HD, but I don't want to have to reinstall
>everything on my 'puter. It can be done with specific programs, but I
>want to know how it's done without a 3rd party program.
>
>Here's how I THINK it may be done:
>
>Format new HD in appropriate type (ie fat32, ntfs etc)
>
>Attach both HD's to system
>
>Go to control panel and remove 1st HD from system
>
>Copy over every file, directory (incl. empty ones), every hidden and
>system file, everything except the swapfile. Make sure no files are
>open (they can't be copied)
>
>Set the boot sector of new HD so that it boots
>
>Remove 1st HD, change jumpers etc
>
>Set the partition table so that it's seen (fdisk?)
>
>etc etc.
>
>So, is there a definitive list?
>
>Thanks in advance.

You need to copy the HD serial number over to the new drive, their are utils
that let you make your own serial number..

This is the Serial number that is created when you format the drive.

Use Ghost to copy the Data over..

~misfit~

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> John Smith wrote:
> <Snip endless steps>
>>
>> Remove 1st HD, change jumpers etc
>>
>> Set the partition table so that it's seen (fdisk?)
>>
>> etc etc.
>>
>> So, is there a definitive list?

> Or, just use the tool provided by your new hard drive's manufacturer.
> It will do ALL of this for you from a bootable CD or floppy in a
> SINGLE step.
>
> You couldn't copy every file on your old harddisk to your new
> harddrive from within windows, since lots of the files will be
> "Locked" or in use.

As long as one of the drives is a Maxtor you can use MaxBlast 3 (from
Maxtors site). It loads from a floppy and works really well. I used it a
couple of weeks ago, very impressive. Copied an XP install perfectly. It
barfs on multi-boot drives though. (As I found out).
--
~misfit~

Brian Tozer

"~misfit~" wrote

> As long as one of the drives is a Maxtor you can use MaxBlast 3 (from
> Maxtors site). It loads from a floppy and works really well. I used it a
> couple of weeks ago, very impressive. Copied an XP install perfectly. It
> barfs on multi-boot drives though. (As I found out).

Just adding that I had exactly the same 'barfing on a multiboot' experience.
It also took a loooooooooooong time to do its thing.

Brian Tozer

John Smith

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bnnml2$pd5$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> You couldn't copy every file on your old harddisk to your new harddrive from
> within windows, since lots of the files will be "Locked" or in use.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

OK, thanks for that. So I'd have to use a different computer or a 3rd hard drive.

Graeme Woollett

John Smith wrote:
> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bnnml2$pd5$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>You couldn't copy every file on your old harddisk to your new harddrive from
>>within windows, since lots of the files will be "Locked" or in use.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Nicholas Sherlock

> OK, thanks for that. So I'd have to use a different computer or a 3rd hard drive.

Driveimage or Drivecopy from powerquest. almost nothing is free in
windows...

Graeme

~misfit~

Brian Tozer wrote:
> "~misfit~" wrote
>
>> As long as one of the drives is a Maxtor you can use MaxBlast 3 (from
>> Maxtors site). It loads from a floppy and works really well. I used
>> it a couple of weeks ago, very impressive. Copied an XP install
>> perfectly. It barfs on multi-boot drives though. (As I found out).

> Just adding that I had exactly the same 'barfing on a multiboot'
> experience. It also took a loooooooooooong time to do its thing.

About an hour and a quarter here for 20GB of data. On a BX board with only
ATA33.
--
~misfit~

Scott

"Nick Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 28 Oct 2003 22:22:49 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (John Smith) wrote:
>
> >OK, I want a bigger HD, but I don't want to have to reinstall
> >everything on my 'puter. It can be done with specific programs, but I
> >want to know how it's done without a 3rd party program.
> >
> >Here's how I THINK it may be done:
> >
> >Format new HD in appropriate type (ie fat32, ntfs etc)
> >
> >Attach both HD's to system
> >
> >Go to control panel and remove 1st HD from system
> >
> >Copy over every file, directory (incl. empty ones), every hidden and
> >system file, everything except the swapfile. Make sure no files are
> >open (they can't be copied)
> >
> >Set the boot sector of new HD so that it boots
> >
> >Remove 1st HD, change jumpers etc
> >
> >Set the partition table so that it's seen (fdisk?)
> >
> >etc etc.
> >
> >So, is there a definitive list?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.

> You need to copy the HD serial number over to the new drive, their are

utils
> that let you make your own serial number..
>
> This is the Serial number that is created when you format the drive.
>

> Use Ghost to copy the Data over..

Hi I have been using Seagates disk wizard to try and upgrade my 20gig drive
to a 40gig (winxp OS, both seagate drives).

Everything runs fine and even the PC will reboot off the 40g drive, but not
far down the track the PC craps itself. It either can't find the HDD at all,
a blue screen of text arrives with various error messages regarding a win32
file, physical memory dump and more!

Pop the original 20g drive back in, not a problem.

I'll give Ghost a go to see if I can get a clean copy. Anyone have any clues
on what is happeniing with disk wizard?

’_£₯ΊΡ

Norton Ghost 2003

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...