Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL and Apple Mac

ADSL and Apple Mac

BackToNormal

Anyone running a adsl modem on a imac g3 400mhz?
running os 9. Do the dick smith ones work? couldnt find anything at
www.totallymac.com

thanks
Dane

--
"People do not make decisions on facts, rather,
how they feel about the facts" Robert Consedine

madknoxie

In article <1g3dvop.1398mnjaydbcuN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (BackToNormal) wrote:

> Anyone running a adsl modem on a imac g3 400mhz?
> running os 9. Do the dick smith ones work? couldnt find anything at
> www.totallymac.com

Do you have a network card in your iMac? You could get an ADSL router
which would mean that you would only have to connect via your network
card. This would also mean you could connect other computer to the
network/internet with relative ease.

--
madknoxie

Bruce Hoult

In article <1g3dvop.1398mnjaydbcuN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (BackToNormal) wrote:

> Anyone running a adsl modem on a imac g3 400mhz?
> running os 9. Do the dick smith ones work? couldnt find anything at
> www.totallymac.com

Anything with an ethernet port will work. Preferably, it should also
have a web (http) interface for configuring it, rather than a serial
(console) port.

-- Bruce

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1g3dvop.1398mnjaydbcuN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (BackToNormal) wrote:
>
> > Anyone running a adsl modem on a imac g3 400mhz?
> > running os 9. Do the dick smith ones work? couldnt find anything at
> > www.totallymac.com

> Do you have a network card in your iMac?

Of course he does! Ethernet ports were standard on Macs from the mid
90's. The first iMac was controversial largely for having *only* power,
modem, USB and ethernet ports.

-- Bruce

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <1g3dvop.1398mnjaydbcuN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> > (E-Mail Removed) (BackToNormal) wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone running a adsl modem on a imac g3 400mhz?
> > > running os 9. Do the dick smith ones work? couldnt find anything at
> > > www.totallymac.com

> > Do you have a network card in your iMac?

> Of course he does! Ethernet ports were standard on Macs from the mid
> 90's. The first iMac was controversial largely for having *only* power,
> modem, USB and ethernet ports.

I thought that would be the case but I didn't know for sure - weren't
the 400Mhz ones the first release of the iMac? Do correct me if I'm
wrong.

--
madknoxie

back again

madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: ADSL and Apple Mac
> From: madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Do you have a network card in your iMac?

>> Of course he does! Ethernet ports were standard on Macs from the mid
>> 90's. The first iMac was controversial largely for having *only*
>> power, modem, USB and ethernet ports.

> I thought that would be the case but I didn't know for sure - weren't
> the 400Mhz ones the first release of the iMac? Do correct me if I'm
> wrong.

My old 233MHz iMac has ethernet built in, so does my antique 120MHz
PowerMac 8500

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Do you have a network card in your iMac?

> > Of course he does! Ethernet ports were standard on Macs from the mid
> > 90's. The first iMac was controversial largely for having *only* power,
> > modem, USB and ethernet ports.

> I thought that would be the case but I didn't know for sure - weren't
> the 400Mhz ones the first release of the iMac? Do correct me if I'm
> wrong.

The first iMac (the bondi blue one) did indeed have 10/100BaseT as well
as a moderately unknown thing (at the time) called 'USB'. No floppy disk
drive either, yeah!

Phil
--
MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
All Mac - All Kiwi

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1g3dvop.1398mnjaydbcuN%(E-Mail Removed) >,
> (E-Mail Removed) (BackToNormal) wrote:
>
> > Anyone running a adsl modem on a imac g3 400mhz?
> > running os 9. Do the dick smith ones work? couldnt find anything at
> > www.totallymac.com

> Anything with an ethernet port will work. Preferably, it should also
> have a web (http) interface for configuring it, rather than a serial
> (console) port.
>
> -- Bruce

Agree with Bruce there.

The ADSL router I have (which TotallyMac sell or did sell) is designed
for a PC but works fine with my Mac running OS X. Looking for ones that
actually list Mac support on the product would be a plus...I did have an
issue at one point and the freephone number took me through to the
States....they didn't actually believe the thing would work with a Mac,
which was pretty bizarre.

Phil
--

Philip Roy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Of course he does! Ethernet ports were standard on Macs from the mid
> > > 90's. The first iMac was controversial largely for having *only* power,
> > > modem, USB and ethernet ports.

> > I thought that would be the case but I didn't know for sure - weren't
> > the 400Mhz ones the first release of the iMac? Do correct me if I'm
> > wrong.

> The first iMac (the bondi blue one) did indeed have 10/100BaseT as well
> as a moderately unknown thing (at the time) called 'USB'. No floppy disk
> drive either, yeah!

Heh, I remember how much slack they got on that point. Does anyone, Mac
or PC, actually use floppies anymore. I was worried when I got my Mac
that i would miss having a floppy drive, but I haven't needed it at
all...

--
madknoxie

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bruce Hoult <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Do you have a network card in your iMac?

> > Of course he does! Ethernet ports were standard on Macs from the mid
> > 90's. The first iMac was controversial largely for having *only* power,
> > modem, USB and ethernet ports.

> I thought that would be the case but I didn't know for sure - weren't
> the 400Mhz ones the first release of the iMac? Do correct me if I'm
> wrong.

400 MHz was about the 4th or 5th update (and saw the introduction of
slot loading DVD drives). The iMac started at 233 MHz, then 266, 300,
350, 400, I think.

-- Bruce