Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Simple? website building question?

Simple? website building question?

Southern Kiwi

When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
to own up to that)
TIA
--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Brendon Pascoe

Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
not percentages.Either that or you have an image or two thats too big for
800x600. Drop me a url or the source code of the page to
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and I'll see if I can help you.

Brendon
ps. Frontpage is not that bad....compared to Word!!

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
to own up to that)
TIA
--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com

madknoxie

In article <RN_lb.188511$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brendon Pascoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
> not percentages.

I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
that his tables are using percentages.

*death to tables*
- use css instead

--
madknoxie

Brendon

IMO, I would use CSS and divs. If done properly, theres no way things should
<get out of sync and look crappy.>
A URL is still the most helpful in this situation.

Brendon

"madknoxie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
In article <RN_lb.188511$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Brendon Pascoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
> not percentages.

I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
that his tables are using percentages.

*death to tables*
- use css instead

--
madknoxie

Kookaburra

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:52:58 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
<southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

>(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
>to own up to that)
>.

Hell, I don't care who knows that I use Notepad. ))
HTML- Kit by Chami isn't a bad little editor and the price is right.

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Scroll bars will only appear if you have enough content and provided
you haven't got scroll=no

Cheers, Kooky

Kookaburra

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:15:03 +1300, Kookaburra
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
>>to own up to that)
>>.

>Hell, I don't care who knows that I use Notepad. ))
>HTML- Kit by Chami isn't a bad little editor and the price is right.
>
>http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Sorry disregard the bit I put about scroll bars I didn't read your
post properly.

Cheers, Kooky

moe

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:48:29 +1300, madknoxie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <RN_lb.188511$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Brendon Pascoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
>> not percentages.

>I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
>scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
>that his tables are using percentages.
>
>*death to tables*
> - use css instead

any examples how one right align captions of form fields and left
align the form elements/controls with css?

moe

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:48:29 +1300, madknoxie
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <RN_lb.188511$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Brendon Pascoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Got a url to look at? i would say you've used tables at fixed widths, and
> >> not percentages.

> >I think it might be the other way around. He's asking if he can get the
> >scroll bars to appear at lower resolutions so that tends to indicate
> >that his tables are using percentages.
> >
> >*death to tables*
> > - use css instead

> any examples how one right align captions of form fields and left
> align the form elements/controls with css?

Heh, smarty pants. As you probably know theres no easy way to do it as
you would have with tables. You might be able to make an argument that
the entire form is a data table or you could choose another layout
format that will fit more easily with css.

I usually just do something like this and then set padding-left for all
my form inputs to 20px or something:

<input type="text" name="name" value="" size="20 /></p>

Can you see how that would look?

--
madknoxie

Cheeky Darkkie

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:52:58 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
<southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

>When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
>half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
>How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
>vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
>(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
>to own up to that)
>TIA

You should make it for 800x600, having said that well over 90% of pc's
will be using that rezollution with 1024x768.

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Cheeky Darkkie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:52:58 +1300, "Southern Kiwi"
> <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >When I view my page at 1024X768 it looks fine, but if I minimize (to say
> >half size) the pictures get out of sync and look crappy.
> >How do I freeze the page and make it so that scroll bars appear (the
> >vertical ones are there, but not the horizontal)
> >(You probably need to know what I'm building it with, but I'm a bit ashamed
> >to own up to that)
> >TIA

> You should make it for 800x600, having said that well over 90% of pc's
> will be using that rezollution with 1024x768.

I would argue that you shouldn't be making it for any particular
resolution at all. Destop/laptop computers aren't the only browsing
devices on the web.

--
madknoxie