Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to cool hard disks

How to cool hard disks

Evil Bastard

Hi,

I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.

Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
won't increase the PC's noise level.

Thanks
EB

T.N.O.

"Evil Bastard" wrote
> Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?

Just a normal fan blowing air over the drives is usually enough to cool
them(assuming that case flow isnt too bad.

Personally, I would think that air flow in the case needs to be looked at if
it is shutting down because of it, I have two 7200rpm IDE and 3 10000rpm
SCSI drives in my machine, and there is no cooling needed on them(they are
stacked one on top of the next)... the only air they get is from the air
being pulled in through the front.

Andrew

are you sure your drives are ok?

its kinda rare for them to overheat and shut down, Make sure they are not
sitting on top of each other, Separate them a bit and get some airflow in
them

You can get silent drive coolers that use Heatpipe technology like these:
http://www.starlyte.co.nz/info.php?i...Misc%20Coolers

"Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
newsan.2003.10.22.05.07.32.552583@127.0.0.1...
> Hi,
>
> I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
> they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
>
> Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
> Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
> won't increase the PC's noise level.
>
> Thanks
> EB

Paul Mathews

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:07:32 +1300, Evil Bastard <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
>they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
>
>Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
>Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
>won't increase the PC's noise level.
>
>Thanks
>EB

Yes get a Icute case with its 120mm fan in front..

T.N.O.

"Andrew" wrote
> You can get silent drive coolers that use Heatpipe technology like these:
> http://www.starlyte.co.nz/info.php?i...Misc%20Coolers

hey... just a question about these, how does that thing fit into the drive
bay with the hdd in it, wouldn't it then be too wide, it doesnt look like it
goes out wide enough to bolt into a 5' 1/4 bay either?

Andrew

They fit into the 5" 1/4 bay, Your right, The unit doesnt look like it will
fit, But they come with rubber mounts that extend out to make it fit into
the bay, which are there to absorb all vibration which inturn helps with
noise and drive life

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Andrew" wrote
> > You can get silent drive coolers that use Heatpipe technology like

these:
> > http://www.starlyte.co.nz/info.php?i...Misc%20Coolers

> hey... just a question about these, how does that thing fit into the drive
> bay with the hdd in it, wouldn't it then be too wide, it doesnt look like

it
> goes out wide enough to bolt into a 5' 1/4 bay either?

Andrew

Here is a better picture

http://www.zalman.co.kr/images/0311/...ZM-2HC1_b4.gif

news:h4plb.2318$(E-Mail Removed)...
> are you sure your drives are ok?
>
> its kinda rare for them to overheat and shut down, Make sure they are not
> sitting on top of each other, Separate them a bit and get some airflow in
> them
>
> You can get silent drive coolers that use Heatpipe technology like these:
> http://www.starlyte.co.nz/info.php?i...Misc%20Coolers
>

> "Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> newsan.2003.10.22.05.07.32.552583@127.0.0.1...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
> > they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
> > Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
> > won't increase the PC's noise level.
> >
> > Thanks
> > EB

T.N.O.

"Andrew" wrote
> They fit into the 5" 1/4 bay, Your right, The unit doesnt look like it

will
> fit, But they come with rubber mounts that extend out to make it fit into
> the bay, which are there to absorb all vibration which inturn helps with
> noise and drive life

(after looking at the better pic)I see now... might have to get me some,
although they'll have to wait until after the wedding :\

Jay

Evil Bastard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
> they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
>
> Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
> Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
> won't increase the PC's noise level.
>
> Thanks
> EB

You can buy slot covers with a couple of mini fans fitted for about $15.
Fit one of them above each disk drive.

bt

<postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>I got a couple of 7200rpm disks in my box which are running so hot that
>they go into reset cycles and bring down the box.
>
>Can anyone recommend any cooling solutions?
>Preferably, something affordable, available in NZ, and something that
>won't increase the PC's noise level.

Slashdot had a link just yesturday to an article on that very subject.

Essentiall sandwiching the drives between two solid plates of
aluminium - reduces the noise (by some 15 dba) AND heat (by some 10c).

Brendan (Avatar)

--

Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

Email: corum.usenet@myrealbox (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.