Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

interesting article, Gartner claims there are eight Linux desktop myths

T.N.O.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256

I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

Gordon

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:56:15 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
>
> I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

It is interesting that Linux, is now being compared to a commerical
product/environment. To me Open Source is about everyone doing something
for the greater improvement of all.

The idea that the Penguin is taking on MS is rather compelling but quite
frankly who cares if some people choose to use MS products?

The real battle is keeping the playing field level.

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
>
> I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible with
Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on the
Linux-using customer.

In short....this is actually a Windows cost.....not a Linux cost.

The cost to your business of Microsft's closed technology should be sheeted
home to Microsoft and Windows.....not Linux.

If you go 100% Linux, and use screen-scapers to access "legacy" Windows
apps, that cost disappears....and will go even lower once you get rid of
the legacy Windows apps.

The best way to do that is support choice...and go to Linux in order to make
it worthwhile for software developers and vendors to allow you shed Windows
completely.

.......and get rid of that incompatibility tax Microsoft levies to shore up
its monopoly.

--
defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
operating system.

T.N.O.

"steve" wrote
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
> > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

> If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

with
> Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on the
> Linux-using customer.

Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
Office.

Allistar

T.N.O. wrote:

> "steve" wrote
>> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
>> > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

>> If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

> with
>> Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on
>> the Linux-using customer.

> Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
> Office.

I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

Allistar.

Peter

this quote is from T.N.O. of Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:06 :

> Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
> Office.

.... and I thought a standard was a commonly agreed and published set of
parameters, so everyone knows what they are working with. As in "New
Zealand Standard" and "British Standard".

Just 'cos something is in wide-spread use doesn't make it a standard.

Peter

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:48:28 +1300, Peter wrote:

> Just 'cos something is in wide-spread use doesn't make it a standard.

It's called a de-facto standard,

Wordperfect and wordstar formats used to be the defacto standards many
years ago.

T.N.O.

"Allistar" wrote
> I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "steve" wrote
>> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12256
>> > I dont agree fully with it, but still interesting.

>> If you read it carefully, it's saying that the cost of being compatible

> with
>> Microsoft's closed and proprietary software imposes an added burden on
>> the Linux-using customer.

> Correct... but there has to be a "standard" and at the moment, that is MS
> Office.

There doesn't have to be "standard".

There need only be open interoperability between "standards".

Microsoft isn't a 'standard'.....it's an illegally maintained
monopoly....according the US Courts and the European equivalent of the
Commerce Commission.

--

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "Allistar" wrote
>> I don't think a file format can be a "standard" unless it is open.

> You and anyone is free to think what they like, but if MS Office is the
> measuring stick, it is a standard of some sort.

....of some sort. That there is debate overwhether to acknowledge it as a
genuine standard highlights the problem Microsoft's illegally maintained
monopoly represents.