Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > disable IE underline "feature"

disable IE underline "feature"

T.N.O.

OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
enabled, and wants it off...

It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
words used... makes it damn near un-usable.

I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

ZZzzz

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
> enabled, and wants it off...

Thats normally indicative of spyware/adware installed (Gator etc). Tried
running Adaware on it?

Kristofer Clayton

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:23:54 +1300, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
>enabled, and wants it off...

Definitely doesn't sound like a built-in feature of Internet Explorer.
Use Ad-Aware or Spybot to see if they will get rid of it, or search
google for an app called BHODemon which will list all BHO (Browser
Helper Object) items that are "plugged-in" to IE, and allow you to
disable them.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

T.N.O.

"ZZzzz" wrote
> > OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
> > enabled, and wants it off...

> Thats normally indicative of spyware/adware installed (Gator etc). Tried
> running Adaware on it?

Adaware says it is clean.(barring cookies)
Spybot S&D found nothing aswell...

The machine is clean(well, AFAICT), but there was a feature that was put in
Ie 6 and I cant remember what it was called, and so cant search for it to
find the disable instructions.

Stuart

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
> enabled, and wants it off...
>
> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
> links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a

motherboard
> review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
> words used... makes it damn near un-usable.

Smart tags? They were disabled for IE 6. It's a feature of Office though.

http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/summer2001/smartags.html

Stuart

T.N.O.

"Howard" wrote
> Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab | Underline Links

Always-Hover-Never

not it, but thanks anyway

> Oh and btw ... Mozilla really is better

Dont like mozilla, love Fire bird, especially 0.7, it is so damn fast.

Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O. wrote:
> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has
> it enabled, and wants it off...
>
> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing,
> and links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a
> motherboard review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due
> to that type of words used... makes it damn near un-usable.

Internet Explorer doesn't have anything like this. It's either the website
that you are viewing that is doing it (To raise money), or it is spyware. If
it doesn't happen on many websites, it's just the websites raising money.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

T.N.O.

"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
> Internet Explorer doesn't have anything like this. It's either the website
> that you are viewing that is doing it (To raise money), or it is spyware.

If
> it doesn't happen on many websites, it's just the websites raising money.

It has since stopped, so ummm, who knows what it was.

Howard

T.N.O. wrote:
> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has
> it enabled, and wants it off...
>
> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing,
> and links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a
> motherboard review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due
> to that type of words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
>
> I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free
> porn banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I
> just want it disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

Tools | Internet Options | Advanced Tab | Underline Links Always-Hover-Never

Oh and btw ... Mozilla really is better

T-Boy

> OK, I cant remember what this "feature" is called, but my friend has it
> enabled, and wants it off...
>
> It's the one where it underlines words in webpages that your viewing, and
> links to sites where you can buy things... like I was reading a motherboard
> review, and it gave me links to damn near every word due to that type of
> words used... makes it damn near un-usable.
>
> I dont care if Mozilla doesn't have it, Or that Opera comes with free porn
> banners, or that Agent is the least *crap* news reader ever, I just want it
> disabled, so no "try browser x" type posts please.

I can't believe all the folk that have replied - and only one person's
got it right - the short of it is:
* yes, you can do this in IE
* it's in Internet Options, Advanced Options - per Howards reply no
doubt.

--
Duncan