Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Running SETI from a floppy

Running SETI from a floppy

Dogg

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:08:31 +1300, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"~misfit~" wrote
>> I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
>> the new client and we can keep the group running.

>When will the new client be available? any ideas...

You can download it here.

http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/ap/download.php

steve

Dogg allegedly said:

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>HI all,
>>>
>>>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
>>>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
>>>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
>>>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
>>>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
>>>real good go at it yet.
>>>
>>>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

>>Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
>>DSE have these
>>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...ct/View/XH7975
>>
>>which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

> This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
> done but something aint happening...

Have you loaded the module?

See if it is loaded: (lsmod)

If it isn't, load it:

insmod e100.o

If it IS loaded, the you may need to do an 'ifconfig eth0' to see what state
it is in.

Sometimes you need to tell the interface to come up - it won't start it by
default (a good thing in a firewall that isn't yet configured.....)

Usually something like:

/sbin/ifconfig up (as root)

....will do the trick.

--
defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
operating system.

steve

~misfit~ allegedly said:

> I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
> the new client and we can keep the group running.
> --
> ~misfit~

I will.

I just hope they don't can the old count before I reach 25,000 WUs. That
will be in about 4 weeks and 1 or 2 days from today.

I do about 36-38 WUs / day || 265-270ish / week....and I'm on 23,873 as of
this morning.

I'm going to frame that Certificate and hang it on the wall....after 4.5
years.

--

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "~misfit~" wrote
>> I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
>> the new client and we can keep the group running.

> When will the new client be available? any ideas...

It's currently in beta. They said they don't need any more beta-testers, so
it can't be far off.......

People with existing accounts will have a BOINC account created for them.

# Create an account using the SETI@home web site. This will give you an
account ID, sent by email. Note: accounts will created automatically for
all current SETI@home users (see below).

Transition plan is here:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/b...tion_plan.html

--
defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
operating system.

T.N.O.

"steve" wrote
> I just hope they don't can the old count before I reach 25,000 WUs. That
> will be in about 4 weeks and 1 or 2 days from today.
> I do about 36-38 WUs / day || 265-270ish / week....and I'm on 23,873 as of
> this morning.

heh, I was thinking the same about me... except my target is 1800, at ~15 a
day, Im still off by 23 days...

Another thing I want to get is above 97% in the "you have completed more
workunits than" bit...

Im currently at 96.926%
I figure the top 3% must be fairly up there, so I want to join them.

I would have also liked to have given a year of CPU time aswell... only
400hrs(~17 days) to go on that one, so I could make it.
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/f...user_stats_new

How many machines are you using Steve?

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> heh, I was thinking the same about me... except my target is 1800, at ~15
> a day, Im still off by 23 days...

A week less than me.

> Another thing I want to get is above 97% in the "you have completed more
> workunits than" bit...
>
> Im currently at 96.926%
> I figure the top 3% must be fairly up there, so I want to join them.

I'm *almost* in the top 0.075%...

This is me as of right now (23:48 Tuesday night)
Your rank out of 4720404 total users is: 3598th place.
The number of users who have this rank: 1
You have completed more work units than 99.924% of our users.
> I would have also liked to have given a year of CPU time aswell... only
> 400hrs(~17 days) to go on that one, so I could make it.

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/f...user_stats_new

Uh-oh.....get ready for SPAM at your hotmail address.

> How many machines are you using Steve?

I've got about 12 PCs on the job at the mo' with a Duron 1000 CPU gathering
dust on the shelf. That did about 4 WUs/day and I'll evenually replace the
PII-350 with it when I get a new AMD mobo.

PII-350 - Linux
PIII-450 - Linux
Celeron 600 - Linux
PIII-500 - Linux
PIII-600EB - Linux
PIII-750 (laptop) - Win98SE
PIII-866 - Linux (Fedora Core - beta 3)
AMD 1200+ (800MHz) - Win98SE
AMD 1.4GHz - WinME
AMD 2000+ (1.67GHz) - Linux
2 x AMD 2200+ (1.866GHz) - Linux on both.

--

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> How many machines are you using Steve?

From the list in my other post, you see why I can't afford Windows.

12 copies of WinXP at $300 each is $3,600...which in theory I'm not legally
entitled to do because I don't have 12 copies of an earlier Windows.

So at 12 times $600 each (full price?), Windows would cost me over
$7,000....to run legally....while Linux is free or close to it (I tend to
buy CDs saves time).

Home users with several PCs can't afford to run Windows legally unless they
only buy built-up systems.....

Linux lets me be legal....and less poor.

--
defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
operating system.

~misfit~

news:El8lb.2219$(E-Mail Removed)...
> defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
> operating system.

And here was me labouring under the impression that to 'defenestrate' was to
throw someone out of a window.
--
~misfit~

T.N.O.

"steve" wrote >
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/f...user_stats_new

> Uh-oh.....get ready for SPAM at your hotmail address.

I dont use it any more, Seti is the last thing I have "attached" to that
email addy.

> > How many machines are you using Steve?

> I've got about 12 PCs on the job at the mo' with a Duron 1000 CPU

gathering
> dust on the shelf. That did about 4 WUs/day and I'll evenually replace the
> PII-350 with it when I get a new AMD mobo.

> PII-350 - Linux
> PIII-450 - Linux
> Celeron 600 - Linux
> PIII-500 - Linux
> PIII-600EB - Linux
> PIII-750 (laptop) - Win98SE
> PIII-866 - Linux (Fedora Core - beta 3)
> AMD 1200+ (800MHz) - Win98SE
> AMD 1.4GHz - WinME
> AMD 2000+ (1.67GHz) - Linux
> 2 x AMD 2200+ (1.866GHz) - Linux on both.

Tell me that some of these are work related...

~misfit~

"Dogg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:31:44 +1300, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:39:19 +1300, Dogg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>HI all,
> >>
> >>I'm wanting to run SETI from a floppy that has NIC support. I've found
> >>a couple of Linux disks but none of them have Intel drivers and my
> >>Linux knowledge is quite minimal. Does anyone know of a version that
> >>has drivers for the Intel Pro 10\100? This is one of the pages I
> >>found. He mentions you can use your own drivers but I haven't had a
> >>real good go at it yet.
> >>
> >>http://home.swipnet.se/moose/seti.htm

> >Make it easy on yourself and get a nic that is supported.
> >DSE have these

>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...73fc0a87f99078

b/Product/View/XH7975

> >which have the RTL8139 chip for $16.00.

> This version allows you to add the e100.o (Intel) module which I've
> done but something aint happening...
>
> Basically, at any given time, I've got a bunch of P4 machines sitting
> around here doing nothing that have built in Intel cards that I just
> wanna plug in, stick in the floppy and leave running for as long as
> possible . If I had to stick another card in every time, it would be
> just as easy to copy the seti folder across and run it from the
> command prompt (which I've been doing).

You know that SETI as we know it is going to be defunct in the next month or
so? They're changing to a different client, BOINC, that is a lot more
complex as it is capable of running other distributed computing packages as
well as SETI if you so choose. All individual stats will be re-set to zero
at that time.

Try your question in alt.sci.seti, it's a good group, full of helpful
people. The most well-mannered and helpful group I've come across, high
signal to noise ratio.

I'm hoping that the majority of the nz.comp group will make the switch to
the new client and we can keep the group running.
--
~misfit~

SETI CRUNCHERS Question bardeban Computer Support 1 06-14-2007 05:18 PM
Doh! How do ya write a floppy disc image onto a floppy disc? Mr Undeniably Sluttish NZ Computing 6 12-29-2005 12:47 AM
SETI question joevan Computer Support 2 08-23-2005 09:37 PM
Seti-like program GMane Python Python 4 06-01-2005 05:53 PM
NZ.COMP SETI Team passes 40,000 WUs steve NZ Computing 6 08-06-2003 05:46 AM

Advertisments