Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Whats the failure rate on Seagate hhds?

Whats the failure rate on Seagate hhds?

samg

Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like these
days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty? Im still debating
on wether to get a 120GB 2MB cache with a one year warranty or an 8MB cache
version with a 3 year warranty. Cash is tight so I'd like to go for the
cheaper one but the longer warranty is tempting. However, in my experience
if a hdd makes it through the first year itll keep on going. Ive got
several 5 year old Quantum bigfoots that work %100 with no bad sectors.

bambam

samg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like
> these days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty? Im
> still debating on wether to get a 120GB 2MB cache with a one year
> warranty or an 8MB cache version with a 3 year warranty. Cash is
> tight so I'd like to go for the cheaper one but the longer
> warranty is tempting. However, in my experience if a hdd makes it
> through the first year itll keep on going. Ive got several 5 year
> old Quantum bigfoots that work %100 with no bad sectors.

At Paradigm the difference is $11.
Simple really.

--
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Jay

samg wrote:

> Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like these
> days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty? Im still
> debating on wether to get a 120GB 2MB cache with a one year warranty or an
> 8MB cache
> version with a 3 year warranty. Cash is tight so I'd like to go for the
> cheaper one but the longer warranty is tempting. However, in my
> experience
> if a hdd makes it through the first year itll keep on going. Ive got
> several 5 year old Quantum bigfoots that work %100 with no bad sectors.

Obviously when a manufacturer reduces the warranty period it means
they are also altering the expected life of their product.

When they do their accelerated testing (at higher ambient temperature) they
will be reducing the minimal survival time. That will mean that they
will allow production quality to slip because disks that would otherwise
fail testing will now pass. They only test a random sample, and they might
also be reducing the percentage that get tested.

Check their specs and find out what the expected power cycle lifetime is.
If they don't specify it then either leave you disk running continuously
or don't buy it.

BTW power-saving schemes that stop your disk spinning will dramatically
reduce the disk's life. Keep it running and thereby keep the temperature
constant and the stresses will be considerably reduced. It is thermal
cycling that shortens the life of most mechanical devices.

Paul Mathews

On 20 Oct 2003 23:28:00 +1300, samg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like these
>days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty? Im still debating
>on wether to get a 120GB 2MB cache with a one year warranty or an 8MB cache
>version with a 3 year warranty. Cash is tight so I'd like to go for the
>cheaper one but the longer warranty is tempting. However, in my experience
>if a hdd makes it through the first year itll keep on going. Ive got
>several 5 year old Quantum bigfoots that work %100 with no bad sectors.

There SATA Drives now have a 3 Year Warrantee.

Ken C

Same here. I've used Quantum heavily with no defects either.
I believe Quantum is now known as Maxtor.

I've known 2 people who have had failed drives with Seagate.
Admittedly the sample population is too small but they are the only ones I
have known who have actually had failed drives/bad sectors.

Warranties can never compensate you for lost data.

"samg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like these
> days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty? Im still

debating
> on wether to get a 120GB 2MB cache with a one year warranty or an 8MB

cache
> version with a 3 year warranty. Cash is tight so I'd like to go for the
> cheaper one but the longer warranty is tempting. However, in my

experience
> if a hdd makes it through the first year itll keep on going. Ive got
> several 5 year old Quantum bigfoots that work %100 with no bad sectors.

Matthew Strickland

Ive had more Seagate drives die than any other brand. (About 10 drives)
Infact I just sent another 2 60GB drives back, both from the same batch,
about 6months apart from each other (both bad sectors).
Quantum Ive only experienced their drives with that philips TDAxxxx chip
that kills itself during power on. It came out in the 10 - 15-20?GB Fireball
LE series drives.
Only had one 3GB Maxtor drive die (before quantum moved in), and one Fijutsu
drive.
There were other drives but cant remember what they were.

Ive probably had around 400 HDD's pass through me in the last 4 years.

Seagate SCSI drives I havent had a problem with yet.
But generally, ive kept away from cheaper Seagate drives.

Wonder if those MFM drives in the corner still fire up ok???

"samg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like these
> days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty? Im still

debating
> on wether to get a 120GB 2MB cache with a one year warranty or an 8MB

cache
> version with a 3 year warranty. Cash is tight so I'd like to go for the
> cheaper one but the longer warranty is tempting. However, in my

experience
> if a hdd makes it through the first year itll keep on going. Ive got
> several 5 year old Quantum bigfoots that work %100 with no bad sectors.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:28:00 +1300, samg wrote:

> Anyone know what the failure rate on Seagate harddrives are like these
> days, now that they are only offering a 1 year warranty?

less than 0.5% - if it was any higher they'd go bust.

If you're concerned, pay the extra money and get something with a 3 year
warranty.

Gordon

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:22:43 +0000, bambam wrote:

> At Paradigm the difference is $11.
> Simple really.

Exactly, Segate seem to be saying with their wallet that there is near to
none chance of failure

Gordon

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:54:50 +1300, Matthew Strickland wrote:

> Ive probably had around 400 HDD's pass through me in the last 4 years.

Was it painful?

Gordon

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:54:55 +1300, Ken C wrote:

> Warranties can never compensate you for lost data.

But backups do.