Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > PDA + VNC

PDA + VNC

will

hi,

can i please have some recommendations on PDAs which are capable of
doing VNC (or similar remote desktop apps)?

my purpose is to:

1. at home, using wireless network to remotely access my desktop from
PDA.
2. outside, using wireless internet(like whoosh?) to remotely access my
desktop which is connected to the internet.

thanks

will.

Pleb Plebian

"will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> can i please have some recommendations on PDAs which are capable of
> doing VNC (or similar remote desktop apps)?
>
> my purpose is to:
>
> 1. at home, using wireless network to remotely access my desktop from
> PDA.
> 2. outside, using wireless internet(like whoosh?) to remotely access my
> desktop which is connected to the internet.
>
> thanks
>
> will.

LOL - yr probably gonna hate this... but try a c1997 Apple Newton 2000 or
2100. Literally...the only PDAs to date that I know of that are capable of
running VNC.
Last time I checked, there were drivers being developed to patch (adapt)
generic network card drivers to wLAN: worth a look, anyhow.
No idea wheather the whoosh modems would respond to a standard AT command
set tho...
HTH (knowing it probably doesn't!)
-P

Nathan Mercer

"will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> can i please have some recommendations on PDAs which are capable of
> doing VNC (or similar remote desktop apps)?
>
> my purpose is to:
>
> 1. at home, using wireless network to remotely access my desktop from
> PDA.
> 2. outside, using wireless internet(like whoosh?) to remotely access my
> desktop which is connected to the internet.

Most Windows CE devices including Pocket PC PDAs ship with a Terminal
Services client for connecting to a RDP device like a Windows XP desktop or
a Windows Server Terminal Server

That would work for both scenarios you mention. Personally I would run a
VPN underneath my remote desktop session too.

And you'd certainly be mad to run a VNC session natively over an insecure
network like the internet. Use IPSEC, PPTP or SSH underneath.