Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Slingshot sucks

Slingshot sucks

Jamie Kahn Genet

I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
weeks ago.

In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
incoming email so I never even saw it, have NEVER replied to one of the
half dozen or so emails I sent to their helpdesk and when I did bother
to WASTE eight dollars on their 0900 help line it took SIX calls to get
anyone with most of that time spent listening to the ring tone and
watching my telephone bill increase.

When I finally did speak to the jackass on the other end, he had the
gall to say it wasn't their fault, he couldn't see a problem, there was
no problem (I guess it's all been a bad dream, huh asshole?), and that
it must be my email client (MacSOUP 2.5) deleting the mail (pure
bullshit, cause I WATCH the f**king commands MacSOUP sends and the
replies from the server AS THEY HAPPEN. I think I might have noticed
such a weird and frankly, highly improbable, if not impossible
incident).

Is it just me or is Slingshot <http://www.slingshot.co.nz> the most up
themselves ISP in NZ? Still, I had to laugh when they started tagging
their OWN automated (NOT real!) replies as spam. They soon stopped doing
that after I emailed them to point that out (without getting a
response). What f**kups.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Gordon

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:50:10 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

> In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
> incoming email so I never even saw it,

Question, then how do you know it was deleted?

max

> Jamie Kahn Genet

Are you blaming the people on this newsgroup for recommending them? I
think you need to get a grip and cool down. I use them, and find them
relatively good. I don't use the email accounts, I just use it for
dialup at night, and they are good for the price, and better
connection speeds than xtra. They did have a problem on Friday where
it was down for about 3 hours, but it was one of the few times I hvbe
had a problem.
All isps have issues now and again, it is the nature of the business,
but I think your posting is very unconstructive.

TmcT

I've been with them since i4free close down (their "free" service I mean),
so far, less than 5 times of connection problem I can remember. (i'm 24x7
user!)

But I agree it take a long time to get response from their helpdesk.
(price...)

"Jamie Kahn Genet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g33d4d.1fxnoia433fq7N%(E-Mail Removed) z...
> I've been with them since getting a recommendation from this group a few
> weeks ago.
>
> In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
> incoming email so I never even saw it, have NEVER replied to one of the
> half dozen or so emails I sent to their helpdesk and when I did bother
> to WASTE eight dollars on their 0900 help line it took SIX calls to get
> anyone with most of that time spent listening to the ring tone and
> watching my telephone bill increase.
>
> When I finally did speak to the jackass on the other end, he had the
> gall to say it wasn't their fault, he couldn't see a problem, there was
> no problem (I guess it's all been a bad dream, huh asshole?), and that
> it must be my email client (MacSOUP 2.5) deleting the mail (pure
> bullshit, cause I WATCH the f**king commands MacSOUP sends and the
> replies from the server AS THEY HAPPEN. I think I might have noticed
> such a weird and frankly, highly improbable, if not impossible
> incident).
>
> Is it just me or is Slingshot <http://www.slingshot.co.nz> the most up
> themselves ISP in NZ? Still, I had to laugh when they started tagging
> their OWN automated (NOT real!) replies as spam. They soon stopped doing
> that after I emailed them to point that out (without getting a
> response). What f**kups.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet
> --
> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:50:10 +1300, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
>
> > In that short time they've immediately deleted several days worth of
> > incoming email so I never even saw it,

> Question, then how do you know it was deleted?

I get several hundred SPAM emails every day on top of the numerous
mailing list and personal emails I receive each day.

Do you really expect me to believe that over a dozen mailing lists and
numerous SPAMers and con-artists just stoped for over 48 hours, and that
several important personal emails were all of a sudden, out of the blue,
sent incorrectly to me during the same period, with no bounces reported
by the senders? That this was all just an amazing co-incidence? That the
rest of the world (or at least the part I communicate with via email)
just shut down? That messages _I_ sent to mailing lists and even to
_myself_ just disappeared?

You don't find it odd that for over 48 hours MacSOUP (my email client)
reported ZERO new emails? That Eudora reported the same?

You know, you're right. I guess it was all just a co-incidence. I'm
sorry I wasted your time with my little problem.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Jamie Kahn Genet

max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> Are you blaming the people on this newsgroup for recommending them?

No. I take responsibility for my own choices. But I do humbly question
the quality of the recommendations.

> I think you need to get a grip and cool down. I use them, and find them
> relatively good. I don't use the email accounts, I just use it for dialup
> at night, and they are good for the price, and better connection speeds
> than xtra.

I too have found there connection speeds to be fairly good, and
tolerably stable.

> They did have a problem on Friday where it was down for about 3 hours, but
> it was one of the few times I hvbe had a problem. All isps have issues now
> and again, it is the nature of the business, but I think your posting is
> very unconstructive.

Then what's your take on Slingshot's total lack of replies to my
requests for help? _That's_ unconstructive. Are they simply refusing to
help because I'm a Mac user? Because I actually chose to use decent,
standards respecting email and web clients (i.e. not MSOE and MSIE)? If
so, why? NOTHING that has happened to me is system, OS or even
application specific.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

T.N.O.

"Jamie Kahn Genet" wrote
> You don't find it odd that for over 48 hours MacSOUP (my email client)
> reported ZERO new emails? That Eudora reported the same?
>
> You know, you're right. I guess it was all just a co-incidence. I'm
> sorry I wasted your time with my little problem.

no worries, a pleasure to help you in your time of need, even though you
admit you were wrong

Chris Mayhew

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
news:1g33uut.i2hd6b1i0285yN%(E-Mail Removed) z:

> I get several hundred SPAM emails every day on top of the numerous
> mailing list and personal emails I receive each day.
>
> Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

With that amount of mail is it possible that you exceeded the mail box
allocation and they simply deleted or capped it because of the size it was
growing at ? Maybe you could check the size of your mail box or the T&C to
see what the story is with the size of a mail box.

max

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:20:52 +1300, (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie
Kahn Genet) wrote:

>max <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > Jamie Kahn Genet

>> Are you blaming the people on this newsgroup for recommending them?

>No. I take responsibility for my own choices. But I do humbly question
>the quality of the recommendations.
>
>> I think you need to get a grip and cool down. I use them, and find them
>> relatively good. I don't use the email accounts, I just use it for dialup
>> at night, and they are good for the price, and better connection speeds
>> than xtra.

>I too have found there connection speeds to be fairly good, and
>tolerably stable.
>
>> They did have a problem on Friday where it was down for about 3 hours, but
>> it was one of the few times I hvbe had a problem. All isps have issues now
>> and again, it is the nature of the business, but I think your posting is
>> very unconstructive.

>Then what's your take on Slingshot's total lack of replies to my
>requests for help? _That's_ unconstructive. Are they simply refusing to
>help because I'm a Mac user? Because I actually chose to use decent,
>standards respecting email and web clients (i.e. not MSOE and MSIE)? If
>so, why? NOTHING that has happened to me is system, OS or even
>application specific.
>
>Regards,
> Jamie Kahn Genet

You didn't tell us how long you waited for them to respond or when you
sent the emails. They don't reply in the weekend, so if you sent it on
Saturday expecting an answer then that could be why.

Jamie Kahn Genet

Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote in
> news:1g33uut.i2hd6b1i0285yN%(E-Mail Removed) z:
>
> > I get several hundred SPAM emails every day on top of the numerous
> > mailing list and personal emails I receive each day.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jamie Kahn Genet

> With that amount of mail is it possible that you exceeded the mail box
> allocation and they simply deleted or capped it because of the size it was
> growing at ? Maybe you could check the size of your mail box or the T&C to
> see what the story is with the size of a mail box.

I possibility I considered, then dismissed for the following reason: I
pay Slingshot to automatically delete virus laden attachments before
they reach me. Thus, it's pretty hard to see how even a couple thousand
text only emails - none longer than ten pages - could exceed the size
limit. Unless Slingshot are so monumentally stupid as to use the size of
the SPAM before attachment deletion to figure mailbox limits. The amount
of SPAM a couple weeks ago was monumental, though.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Slingshot is so CRAP pour-lay NZ Computing 8 10-22-2003 03:36 AM
Slingshot as ISP Markus Winter NZ Computing 3 10-08-2003 09:44 PM
Slingshot as ISP? Or another flat-rate one? Markus Winter NZ Computing 2 10-05-2003 09:40 AM
Slingshot Victor Tonkin NZ Computing 0 09-08-2003 07:34 AM
Slingshot international access down? art NZ Computing 1 08-30-2003 12:43 PM

Advertisments