Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Duron 1600

Duron 1600

Dave

I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only run up
to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to get
1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

~misfit~

news:3TMjb.1427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only run up
> to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to get
> 1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed then yes.
I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than the
Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?
--
~misfit~

---

Dave

I think it is 1.6volts.The new Bios upgrade I did gives be a good range to
play with.

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message
news:gUPjb.181461$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3TMjb.1427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only run

up
> > to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to get
> > 1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

> It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed then

yes.
> I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than the
> Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?
> --
> ~misfit~
>

> ---

~misfit~

news:M%Pjb.1459$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message
> news:gUPjb.181461$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3TMjb.1427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only

run
> up
> > > to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to

get
> > > 1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

> > It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed then

> yes.
> > I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than the
> > Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?
> > --

> I think it is 1.6volts.The new Bios upgrade I did gives be a good range to
> play with.

I'm not familliar with that board. Does it support Athlons? The new Durons
are just a cut-down version of the XP Athlon T'bred B. Of course you could
always try it and see. If it doesn't work then you need a new mobo.
--
~misfit~

---

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

~misfit~ wrote:
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3TMjb.1427$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only run up
>>to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to get
>>1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

> It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed then yes.
> I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than the
> Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?

My Morgan core Duron 1100 has nominal Vcore of 1.5v. After doing
a quick search I found that nominal Vcore on 'applebred' 1.6GHz
Durons is also 1.5v. The new Durons are apparently a budget take
on the Athlon Thoroughbred 'B' die, but with FSB limited to 266MHz
and only 64kB on-chip L2 cache. A couple of benchmarks sites show
the new Durons to perform well, almost matching the Athlon XP at
the same clock speed (note CLOCK speed, not 1800+ or 2000+ rating)

Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

~misfit~

"Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3TMjb.1427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only run

up
> >>to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to get
> >>1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

> > It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed then

yes.
> > I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than the
> > Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?

> My Morgan core Duron 1100 has nominal Vcore of 1.5v. After doing
> a quick search I found that nominal Vcore on 'applebred' 1.6GHz
> Durons is also 1.5v. The new Durons are apparently a budget take
> on the Athlon Thoroughbred 'B' die, but with FSB limited to 266MHz
> and only 64kB on-chip L2 cache. A couple of benchmarks sites show
> the new Durons to perform well, almost matching the Athlon XP at
> the same clock speed (note CLOCK speed, not 1800+ or 2000+ rating)

From what I gather the rest of the L2 cache is present, just disabled. In
some cases it's faulty but in others it can be re-enabled if you join a few
traces on the top of the CPU. I've heard something like 50%+ of these CPUs
can have 256KB af cache re-enabled and running fine, others, another 25% or
so, can have another 128KB enabled for 192KB all-up.

It has been speculated that a good percentage are deliberately downgraded XP
Athlons, produced to fit a niche market.
--
~misfit~

---

Dave

Got a 1700XP running at 1387.5.Has anyone cut the 5th L3 bridge on one of
these to unlock higher mutiplier?
"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message
news:4z9kb.182514$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there,
> >
> > ~misfit~ wrote:
> > > "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:3TMjb.1427$(E-Mail Removed)...

run
> up

get

> > > It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed

then
> yes.
> > > I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than

the
> > > Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?

> > My Morgan core Duron 1100 has nominal Vcore of 1.5v. After doing
> > a quick search I found that nominal Vcore on 'applebred' 1.6GHz
> > Durons is also 1.5v. The new Durons are apparently a budget take
> > on the Athlon Thoroughbred 'B' die, but with FSB limited to 266MHz
> > and only 64kB on-chip L2 cache. A couple of benchmarks sites show
> > the new Durons to perform well, almost matching the Athlon XP at
> > the same clock speed (note CLOCK speed, not 1800+ or 2000+ rating)

> From what I gather the rest of the L2 cache is present, just disabled. In
> some cases it's faulty but in others it can be re-enabled if you join a

few
> traces on the top of the CPU. I've heard something like 50%+ of these CPUs
> can have 256KB af cache re-enabled and running fine, others, another 25%

or
> so, can have another 128KB enabled for 192KB all-up.
>
> It has been speculated that a good percentage are deliberately downgraded

XP
> Athlons, produced to fit a niche market.
> --
> ~misfit~
>

> ---

Lost

Dave wrote:

> Got a 1700XP running at 1387.5.Has anyone cut the 5th L3 bridge on one of
> these to unlock higher mutiplier?

How / why is it running at that speed? The 1700XP has got an 11 multiplier, for
1463MHz on 133MHz FSB or 1100MHz on 100MHz FSB. I don't know how you've got
1387. Do you have an 2200XP on 100MHz FSB?

~misfit~

news:wMckb.1627$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a 1700XP running at 1387.5.Has anyone cut the 5th L3 bridge on one of
> these to unlock higher mutiplier?

I have what was an XP 1800+ T'bred B with an 11.5 multiplier. I cut the 3rd
and 5th L2 bridges (from memory) and it's now a default multiplier of 13.5
or an XP 2200+. Same vcore as my board has no adjustments for multiplier or
vcore.

Runs sweet as a nut.
--
~misfit~

> "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message
> news:4z9kb.182514$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Chris Wilkinson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi there,

> run
> > up

> get

> then
> > yes.

> the
> > >
> > > My Morgan core Duron 1100 has nominal Vcore of 1.5v. After doing
> > > a quick search I found that nominal Vcore on 'applebred' 1.6GHz
> > > Durons is also 1.5v. The new Durons are apparently a budget take
> > > on the Athlon Thoroughbred 'B' die, but with FSB limited to 266MHz
> > > and only 64kB on-chip L2 cache. A couple of benchmarks sites show
> > > the new Durons to perform well, almost matching the Athlon XP at
> > > the same clock speed (note CLOCK speed, not 1800+ or 2000+ rating)

> > From what I gather the rest of the L2 cache is present, just disabled.

In
> > some cases it's faulty but in others it can be re-enabled if you join a

> few
> > traces on the top of the CPU. I've heard something like 50%+ of these

CPUs
> > can have 256KB af cache re-enabled and running fine, others, another 25%

> or
> > so, can have another 128KB enabled for 192KB all-up.
> >
> > It has been speculated that a good percentage are deliberately

downgraded
> XP
> > Athlons, produced to fit a niche market.
> > --
> > ~misfit~
> >

> > ---

---

Rich

> > Got a 1700XP running at 1387.5.Has anyone cut the 5th L3 bridge on one

of
> > these to unlock higher mutiplier?

> How / why is it running at that speed? The 1700XP has got an 11

multiplier, for
> 1463MHz on 133MHz FSB or 1100MHz on 100MHz FSB. I don't know how you've

got
> 1387. Do you have an 2200XP on 100MHz FSB?

He(she) may be running an unusual FSB...about 126 by my calculations. I
can't think why though.
Or a multiplier of about 10.5 @ 133FSB gets you close as well.