Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > laptop hdd switcheroo

laptop hdd switcheroo

JohnO

Well, the 20Gb drive in the laptop is no longer enough. Seems like
60/80Gb 2.5" drives are not too expensive, and neither are external
2.5" drive enclosures. So I'm thinking: Get a new drive and enclosure
with FireWire interface and copy the laptop drive onto it. Then switch
the drives and use the 20Gb unit in the external case for backups,
software transfer or whatever.

So would this work? How would I copy my system onto the new drive in
such a way that it will be bootable when I install it internally in
the laptop?

TIA,
JohnO

Nicholas Sherlock

JohnO wrote:
> Well, the 20Gb drive in the laptop is no longer enough. Seems like
> 60/80Gb 2.5" drives are not too expensive, and neither are external
> 2.5" drive enclosures. So I'm thinking: Get a new drive and enclosure
> with FireWire interface and copy the laptop drive onto it. Then switch
> the drives and use the 20Gb unit in the external case for backups,
> software transfer or whatever.
>
> So would this work? How would I copy my system onto the new drive in
> such a way that it will be bootable when I install it internally in
> the laptop?

The harddrive manufacturer often offers a tool to copy the whole harddrive
over (Seagate, for example). If your manufacturer doesn't, you could always
"aquire" Norton Ghost and use that.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock