Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Webdeveloper Question

Webdeveloper Question

Michael Loke

Which is faster (or are they the same):
Page redirection through domain name or web page?

Red Ribbon

domain name redirection is basically redirecting say an url of
www.domain-one.com to www.domain-two.co.nz

where as page redirection is to redirect a webpage to another webpage.

"Michael Loke" <michael.loke@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Which is faster (or are they the same):
> Page redirection through domain name or web page?

Mainlander

In article <3F8E8674.2060900@127.0.0.1>, michael.loke@127.0.0.1 says...
> Which is faster (or are they the same):
> Page redirection through domain name or web page?

There are different types of redirection:

1. On the web server, for example .htaccess commands in Apache.
2. In a script, for example in PHP the header command
3. As you say in a web page.

There may be others I have not thought of.

Anything that is server side, like 1 and 2 above, is going to be faster,
because the server processes it without the overhead of sending you the
web page down your connection as occurs in 3.