Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > what do the antimicrosoft brigade want?

what do the antimicrosoft brigade want?

Rupert

A new version of Microsoft Outlook makes it harder for spammers and scammers
to invade users' computers through their e-mail.

The software, available at the end of October with the release of Microsoft
Office 2003, boasts more-aggressive security features, more options to
disable malicious or snoopy code embedded in e-mails and attachments, and
additional ways to block spam and other unwanted e-mail

Security experts are giving mixed reviews to the updated version of the
popular e-mail program. Some say little is innovative in Outlook 2003 --
many of the new features are already included in other e-mail programs like
Eudora.

http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,60781,00.html

Do they want MS to make it's software secure or not? You see them bitching
if there is a security hole, MS updates it's software offering to (at least
reduce them ) and they start complaining again....

T-Boy

In article <bmidp1$o0j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> A new version of Microsoft Outlook makes it harder for spammers and scammers
> to invade users' computers through their e-mail.
>
> The software, available at the end of October with the release of Microsoft
> Office 2003, boasts more-aggressive security features, more options to
> disable malicious or snoopy code embedded in e-mails and attachments, and
> additional ways to block spam and other unwanted e-mail
>
> Security experts are giving mixed reviews to the updated version of the
> popular e-mail program. Some say little is innovative in Outlook 2003 --
> many of the new features are already included in other e-mail programs like
> Eudora.
>
> http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,60781,00.html
>
> Do they want MS to make it's software secure or not? You see them bitching
> if there is a security hole, MS updates it's software offering to (at least
> reduce them ) and they start complaining again....

from that article...
"
Microsoft launched its Trustworthy Computing initiative in January 2002,
in an effort to reduce the number of security problems that affected its
software. The move included special training and "security boot camps"
for Microsoft programmers, but some experts have said the results may
not be seen until future products are released.
"

So it seems MS have just been giving us lip service to date - the
possible new and continuing RPC exploit seems to back this up.

MS have had time, and have known that, the MS03-029 was an interim
solution, and that another followup patch would fix the RPC security
problems completely.

Users with NT or 2000 are now in a position where purchasing the product
isn't enough - they also HAVE TO purchase a third party firewall.

--
Duncan

T.N.O.

"T-Boy" wrote
> Users with NT or 2000 are now in a position where purchasing the product
> isn't enough - they also HAVE TO purchase a third party firewall.

no they dont, you can filter the traffic out, you just have to know what
your doing.

T.N.O.

"Howard" wrote
> >> Users with NT or 2000 are now in a position where purchasing the

product
> >> isn't enough - they also HAVE TO purchase a third party firewall.

> > no they dont, you can filter the traffic out, you just have to know what
> > your doing.

> I confess that I don't know how to "filter' hack attempts out, without
> using a firewall. Can you give me a link to how to do that? (Serious
> question, not a troll).

The link was from the windows update page, I was playing with it the other
day...

I started here, http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ chose Win2k

and well, they have moved it... but anyway, you can go here...
How to open ports in XP firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp
and use port forwarding.

T.N.O.

"T.N.O." wrote
> > I confess that I don't know how to "filter' hack attempts out, without
> > using a firewall. Can you give me a link to how to do that? (Serious
> > question, not a troll).

> The link was from the windows update page, I was playing with it the other
> day...
> I started here, http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ chose Win2k
> and well, they have moved it... but anyway, you can go here...
> How to open ports in XP firewall
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp
> and use port forwarding.

I found the page I used the other day.
scroll to the bottom(ish) and you find this link,
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309798 HOW TO: Configure TCP/IP Filtering
in Windows 2000.

AD.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:08:32 +1300, Rupert wrote:

> Do they want MS to make it's software secure or not? You see them
> bitching if there is a security hole, MS updates it's software offering
> to (at least reduce them ) and they start complaining again....

Ahh, the classic fallacy that any loosely organised community should all
speak with one voice. Easy to spot, just look for 'they' or 'them'
mentioned a lot.

Even so, saying it isn't (in their opinion) impressive or that it is long
overdue isn't the same as saying MS shouldn't include those features.

Are you wanting MS to be praised for including long overdue features that
are common elsewhere?

And you are also presuming that a security researcher that doesn't offer
that praise is part of the 'antimicrosoft brigade'.

Smacks a little of a 'you're either with us or against us' attitude.

Cheers
Anton

T.N.O.

"T.N.O." wrote
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309798 HOW TO: Configure TCP/IP Filtering
> in Windows 2000.

I just thought about what you said, I only know how to do it on 2K/XP but
really, who would let the junior OS's online in this day and age

T.N.O.

"AD." wrote
> Ahh, the classic fallacy that any loosely organised community should all
> speak with one voice. Easy to spot, just look for 'they' or 'them'
> mentioned a lot.
>
> Even so, saying it isn't (in their opinion) impressive

errr, isn't your last statement a little like the them or they that you
mentioned in your prior statement?

Warwick

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A new version of Microsoft Outlook makes it harder for spammers and scammers
>to invade users' computers through their e-mail.
>
>The software, available at the end of October with the release of Microsoft
>Office 2003, boasts more-aggressive security features, more options to
>disable malicious or snoopy code embedded in e-mails and attachments, and
>additional ways to block spam and other unwanted e-mail
>
>Security experts are giving mixed reviews to the updated version of the
>popular e-mail program. Some say little is innovative in Outlook 2003 --
>many of the new features are already included in other e-mail programs like
>Eudora.
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,60781,00.html
>
>Do they want MS to make it's software secure or not? You see them bitching
>if there is a security hole, MS updates it's software offering to (at least
>reduce them ) and they start complaining again....

If its part of the office suit it is likely to cost several hundreds
of dollars. Seems a bit much to fork out a few hundred for the
operating system and then 2 or 3 times that for secure email software.

cheers

AD.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:17:55 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> "AD." wrote
>> Ahh, the classic fallacy that any loosely organised community should
>> all speak with one voice. Easy to spot, just look for 'they' or 'them'
>> mentioned a lot.
>>
>> Even so, saying it isn't (in their opinion) impressive

> errr, isn't your last statement a little like the them or they that you
> mentioned in your prior statement?

Well 'their' referred to a specific persons quote rather than assigning it
to a 'brigade'. Maybe I should used 'in _his_ opinion'.

Anyway, their is not they or them, nya nya so there... pfbpfbpfbpfb*

*the raspberry noise - I'm not sure I spelled it right

Cheers
Anton