Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > modem intall

modem intall

jfwilson

I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
win98 system.
When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
jumper combinations?

Bret

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
<jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
>win98 system.
>When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
>diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
>So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
>menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
>Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
>jumper combinations?

Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
yours will.

jfwilson

"Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
> >win98 system.
> >When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
> >diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
> >So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
> >menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
> >Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
> >jumper combinations?
> >

> Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
> yours will.

It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
I always feel lucky when they go first time.

Invisible

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:46:38 +1300, "jfwilson"
<jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
>> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
>> >win98 system.
>> >When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
>> >diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
>> >So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
>> >menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
>> >Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
>> >jumper combinations?
>> >

>> Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
>> yours will.

>It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
>Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
>I always feel lucky when they go first time.

Sometimes you have to install another comm port manually from the Add Hardware
option, then the modem should latch itself to that port.

Russell Smithies

jfwilson wrote:
> "Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
>> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
>>> win98 system.
>>> When I windows
>>> diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
>>> So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
>>> menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
>>> Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
>>> jumper combinations?
>>>

>> Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
>> yours will.

> It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
> Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
> I always feel lucky when they go first time.

if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to com
3"?
surely, PnP means just that.
I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?

Russell

Lost

Turn PNP off & set it to Com2.

Jack

Invisible wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:46:38 +1300, "jfwilson"
> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>

>>"Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>>Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
>>>yours will.

>>It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
>>Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
>>I always feel lucky when they go first time.
>>

> Sometimes you have to install another comm port manually from the Add Hardware
> option, then the modem should latch itself to that port.

Also check the IRQ settings, usually you have to put another jumper on
somewhere else to specify the IRQ, which has to be correct for that COM
port, check the COM / IRQ settings in device manager.

jfwilson

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jr2jb.178907$(E-Mail Removed)...

> if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to

com
> 3"?
> surely, PnP means just that.
> I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?
>
> Russell

I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.

Bret

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:48:44 +1300, "jfwilson"
<jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:jr2jb.178907$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>> if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to

>com
>> 3"?
>> surely, PnP means just that.
>> I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?
>>
>> Russell

>I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
>It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
>I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.

Do you already have a com 2 ?
Maybe you need to disable com 2 in BIOS ???

jfwilson

"Bret" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:48:44 +1300, "jfwilson"
> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>

> >"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> >news:jr2jb.178907$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >
> >> if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to

> >com
> >> 3"?
> >> surely, PnP means just that.
> >> I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?
> >>
> >> Russell

> >I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
> >It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
> >I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.
> >

> Do you already have a com 2 ?
> Maybe you need to disable com 2 in BIOS ???

I've got it sorted thanks Bret. Turned out the serial
mouse connector was plugged into com2 on the
motherboard. I put the mouse on 1, disabled 2, and
sweet as.