Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Comments on this Motherboard.

Comments on this Motherboard.

Nick

I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
sitting on a slow 733 p3)

The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...

does anyone have reccomendations....

the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL

I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..

so, anythoughts ?

---

Paul Mathews

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
>sitting on a slow 733 p3)
>
>The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
>
>does anyone have reccomendations....
>
>the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
>
>I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
>it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
>had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
>
>so, anythoughts ?

Be very careful not all Nforce 2 cards use the Top rated Nvidia Audio option
NVIDIA SoundStorm and add a crappy Audio chip..

http://3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/nForce/

I have read that they intend to make there own sound cards with this
chipset..

>---

Paul Mathews

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
>sitting on a slow 733 p3)
>
>The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
>
>does anyone have reccomendations....
>
>the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
>
>I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
>it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
>had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
>
>so, anythoughts ?
>

>---

Have a read on this about sound option chipsets..

http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html

Only 2 were great and one was the Nvidia one..

Andrew

That board is nice and quick, wicked overclocker and nice n stable, Runs the
XP 2500 like a dream - 230 Fsb With good ram of course

and as mr woger said, it doesnt have the soundstorm audio, But one should
always have a decent sound card anyway instead of relying on onboard!

news:jwMib.930$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
> sitting on a slow 733 p3)
>
> The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
>
> does anyone have reccomendations....
>
> the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
>
> I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+

into
> it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
> had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
>
> so, anythoughts ?
>

> ---

max barwell

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, Nick wrote:

> I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
> sitting on a slow 733 p3)
>
> The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
>
> does anyone have reccomendations....
>
> the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
>
> I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
> it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
> had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
>
> so, anythoughts ?

I have the 75mrnl, if thats anything to go by should be primo, i also run
the amd 2500+ barton, can oc to a 3200 no probs

max

Nick

"max barwell" <maxb@paradise(nospam).net.nz> wrote in message
newsan.2003.10.14.08.01.47.862211@paradise(nospa m).net.nz...
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, Nick wrote:
>
> > I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
> > sitting on a slow 733 p3)
> >
> > The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
> >
> > does anyone have reccomendations....
> >
> > the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
> >
> > I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+

into
> > it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here (

reviews
> > had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
> >
> > so, anythoughts ?
> >

> I have the 75mrnl, if thats anything to go by should be primo, i also run
> the amd 2500+ barton, can oc to a 3200 no probs
>
> max

Thanks for all your replies..

im not sure im too concerned with audio, I have a soundblaster live value, I
suppose it does the trick for now, I dont think I would make use of the
onboard unless my sound card craps out....

Im getting PQI 400mhz Ram, not sure how good that brand is, its not corsair
or Geil so I suspect it wont be an overclock monster.. but its 400 rated so
surely if the chip is put to 200fsb then it should handle it provided the
chip can handle it?

so for those ffellas who have overclocked it to 3200+ what else was going on
in the case i.e cooling methods ?
Peltier or Stock HSF ?

thanks again for replies.... keep advice coming. I need to make a decision

---

Andrew

I would suggest Twinmos ram with Winbond chipset, It may be slightly more,
But definatly worth it, Winbond chips are so much more compatible with
Nforce 2 its not funny.

The Stock HSF on the Barton 2500+ is not actually that bad, Previous HSF's
from amd have been average, most noisy, The new releases are really quite
good, However, If your wanting to get 200FSB, i would suggest an aftermarket
HSF, Say Thermaltake Volcano 10 or 11+

If you really want some nice cooling, Go for the Vantec Areoflow - They are
very very tidy coolers, Quiet and effective

news7Oib.950$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "max barwell" <maxb@paradise(nospam).net.nz> wrote in message
> newsan.2003.10.14.08.01.47.862211@paradise(nospa m).net.nz...
> > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, Nick wrote:
> >
> > > I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2

years,
> > > sitting on a slow 733 p3)
> > >
> > > The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
> > >
> > > does anyone have reccomendations....
> > >
> > > the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
> > >
> > > I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton

2500+
> into
> > > it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here (

> reviews
> > > had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
> > >
> > > so, anythoughts ?
> > >

> > I have the 75mrnl, if thats anything to go by should be primo, i also

run
> > the amd 2500+ barton, can oc to a 3200 no probs
> >
> > max

> Thanks for all your replies..
>
> im not sure im too concerned with audio, I have a soundblaster live value,

> suppose it does the trick for now, I dont think I would make use of the
> onboard unless my sound card craps out....
>
> Im getting PQI 400mhz Ram, not sure how good that brand is, its not

corsair
> or Geil so I suspect it wont be an overclock monster.. but its 400 rated

so
> surely if the chip is put to 200fsb then it should handle it provided the
> chip can handle it?
>
> so for those ffellas who have overclocked it to 3200+ what else was going

on
> in the case i.e cooling methods ?
> Peltier or Stock HSF ?
>
> thanks again for replies.... keep advice coming. I need to make a decision
>

> ---

Acid

Very good mobo, very stable and fast.

Regards