Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > OS Shipments...

OS Shipments...

T.N.O.

"Rollins said this will happen because of the company's approach to
operating only in standardized, low-priced markets. He pointed out that
since 1996 when Unix and proprietary systems dominated the world's server
installs with 75% market share, Unix shipments have fallen consistently and
now represents only 25% of servers shipped, versus the huge climb in Windows
and Linux, with Linux shipments doubling in the last three years."

From this article.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bmfh05$lmjug$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
(snip)
... and you say you wonder why people feel obligated to advocate for linux

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

T.N.O.

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
> (snip)
> .. and you say you wonder why people feel obligated to advocate for linux

errr, no I dont, besides, I just thought it was an interesting article.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bmfl9r$mek20$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
>> (snip)
>> .. and you say you wonder why people feel obligated to advocate for linux

>errr, no I dont, besides, I just thought it was an interesting article.

... then my apologies. Certainly someone has often asked
It may well be interesting ... but it still looks like advocacy to me

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

T.N.O.

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
> >> .. and you say you wonder why people feel obligated to advocate for

linux

> >errr, no I dont, besides, I just thought it was an interesting article.

> .. then my apologies. Certainly someone has often asked
> It may well be interesting ... but it still looks like advocacy to me

heh, personally I don't really care either way, I use Win2k at
work(occasional shell work on a unix box), WinXP-pro at home, dual booting
with Redhat 9... I dont really care which OS I use, as long as it works,
currently for what I do, XP-pro fits that...

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bmfm9r$lrh50$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce Sinclair" wrote

>linux
>> >errr, no I dont, besides, I just thought it was an interesting article.

>> .. then my apologies. Certainly someone has often asked
>> It may well be interesting ... but it still looks like advocacy to me

>heh, personally I don't really care either way,

Permit me to observe that sometimes, it appears that you care a lot

> I use Win2k at
>work(occasional shell work on a unix box), WinXP-pro at home, dual booting
>with Redhat 9... I dont really care which OS I use, as long as it works,
>currently for what I do, XP-pro fits that...

I too use more than one system. For me I've had more trouble over the years
with microsoft OS s than any others. I grew up with apple DOS and figure that
other OSs should be at least that good ... preferably within the 10 k that it
used too. MS systems have only approached this in the last 5 ish years ...
sadly in enormous numbers of M .... so sue me

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

T.N.O.

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
> >heh, personally I don't really care either way,

> Permit me to observe that sometimes, it appears that you care a lot

nah, Im just an arse that likes to wind up those that do so, easily.

Lennier, Steve, Roger, and a few others.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bmfroi$m3r6n$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
>> >heh, personally I don't really care either way,

>> Permit me to observe that sometimes, it appears that you care a lot

>nah, Im just an arse that likes to wind up those that do so, easily.
>Lennier, Steve, Roger, and a few others.

Oh ... CAMOH (chap after me own heart) then ... fair enuff

Bruce

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

T.N.O.

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote

> >> Permit me to observe that sometimes, it appears that you care a lot

> >nah, Im just an arse that likes to wind up those that do so, easily.
> >Lennier, Steve, Roger, and a few others.

> Oh ... CAMOH (chap after me own heart) then ... fair enuff

heh, thanks.

steve

T.N.O. allegedly said:

> "Rollins said this will happen because of the company's approach to
> operating only in standardized, low-priced markets. He pointed out that
> since 1996 when Unix and proprietary systems dominated the world's server
> installs with 75% market share, Unix shipments have fallen consistently
> and now represents only 25% of servers shipped, versus the huge climb in
> Windows and Linux, with Linux shipments doubling in the last three years."
>
> From this article.

......and does "shipment" include the millions of Linux ISOs downloaded and
copied locally?

--
defenestrate: The act of replacing Windows on your PC with some other
operating system.