Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WTD: Compaq Deskpro PSU

WTD: Compaq Deskpro PSU

GL

Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for a
Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the moment
courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
230-115v switch on the back.

Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the machines
originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.

Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

Russell Smithies

GL wrote:
> Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU
> for a Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down
> at the moment courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if
> they flicked the 230-115v switch on the back.
>
> Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the
> machines originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is
> different to that of generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or
> similar.
>
> Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

can you not re-wire the connectors off the old psu's to new generic items?
shouldn't be too hard for a competant service person.

Russell

Paul Mathews

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for a
>Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the moment
>courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
>230-115v switch on the back.
>
>Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the machines
>originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
>generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
>
>Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

Just replace the internal fuse..

Paul Mathews

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for a
>Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the moment
>courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
>230-115v switch on the back.
>
>Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the machines
>originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
>generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
>
>Any assistance gratefully appreciated....

Just replace the internal fuse..

Then hot glue the voltage selector..

pete

"Paul Mathews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for

> >Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the

moment
> >courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
> >230-115v switch on the back.
> >
> >Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the

machines
> >originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
> >generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
> >
> >Any assistance gratefully appreciated....
> >

> Just replace the internal fuse..

Not very often you get that lucky. The fuse is there as the last resort
protection. By the time the fuse has blown, there will be quite a few other
components that have let the smoke out.

GL

(Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

"Paul Mathews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for

> >Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the

moment
> >courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
> >230-115v switch on the back.
> >
> >Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the

machines
> >originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
> >generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
> >
> >Any assistance gratefully appreciated....
> >

> Just replace the internal fuse..
>
> Then hot glue the voltage selector..

~misfit~

"GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f8af26a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
> possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
> tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

I've done that in the past too. On some machines I've supplied to households
where there is either children or tamperers and there is a voltage switch on
the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.
--
~misfit~

---

Richard

~misfit~ wrote:

> "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f8af26a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
>> possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
>> tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

> I've done that in the past too. On some machines I've supplied to households
> where there is either children or tamperers and there is a voltage switch on
> the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.

Heck, on one of my machines I had to push the floppy drive back far enough
to put a faceplate on that slot - one of the kids broke the original drive
by pushing a Matchbox car into it.

They liked pressing the power or reset buttons at weird times, too, little
brats.

Cheers

Paul Mathews

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 07:38:58 +1300, "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(Un)fortunately the fuse is still working perfectly - it's something else,
>possibly a cap, that has blown up. Am currently making the other machines
>tamper proof to prevent a reoccurrence!!

I still think its worth getting them fixed as the replacement will cost heaps
for the same brand.

Take them to a good TV repair shop and ask for a quote.

We fix these things at my place of work, a local TV repair shop.

>"Paul Mathews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:39:54 +1300, "GL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Got lucky last time so thought I'd try again - does anyone have a PSU for

>> >Compaq Deskpro they no longer need? I have three machines down at the

>moment
>> >courtesy of fiddlers who wanted to see what happened if they flicked the
>> >230-115v switch on the back.
>> >
>> >Unfortunately the price of a new PSU is more than we paid for the

>machines
>> >originally, and for some reason the Compaq wiring is different to that of
>> >generic PSUs so can't use a cheap Hyena or similar.
>> >
>> >Any assistance gratefully appreciated....
>> >

>> Just replace the internal fuse..
>>
>> Then hot glue the voltage selector..

T.N.O.

"~misfit~" wrote
> the PSU I glue the switch so it can't be moved.

Hot Glue is good for this, just fill in the hole, but it is still readable.