Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Macromedia Flash Player

Macromedia Flash Player

Peter

I am wanting to take issue with the operator of a web site that
requires Flash Player to access even the menu buttons on the home page
(I can just tolerate www.nzoom.com as while it needs the plugin, you
can at least use the site without it). I personally refuse to install
the product for security reasons. Could anyone please give an
indication of the likely proportion of users who have this installed
and the whether corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their
internal networks.

Thanks

Kookaburra

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:49:04 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Peter)
wrote:

>I am wanting to take issue with the operator of a web site that
>requires Flash Player to access even the menu buttons on the home page
>(I can just tolerate www.nzoom.com as while it needs the plugin, you
>can at least use the site without it). I personally refuse to install
>the product for security reasons. Could anyone please give an
>indication of the likely proportion of users who have this installed
>and the whether corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their
>internal networks.
>
>Thanks

I have Flash Player installed on my personal computer. The Paradise
Net home page gives you a choice of Non-Flash or Flash.

http://www.paradise.net.nz/

Cheers, Kooky

max

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:49:04 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Peter)
wrote:

>I am wanting to take issue with the operator of a web site that
>requires Flash Player to access even the menu buttons on the home page
>(I can just tolerate www.nzoom.com as while it needs the plugin, you
>can at least use the site without it). I personally refuse to install
>the product for security reasons. Could anyone please give an
>indication of the likely proportion of users who have this installed
>and the whether corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their
>internal networks.
>
>Thanks

What are the security reasons?

T.N.O.

"Peter" wrote
> Could anyone please give an
> indication of the likely proportion of users who have this installed
> and the whether corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their
> internal networks.

all my mates have it installed, but at work we have ~1500 machines without
it, and it has only been installed for a few that need it for medical
websites.

Lebowski

"max" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:49:04 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Peter)
> wrote:
>
> >I am wanting to take issue with the operator of a web site that
> >requires Flash Player to access even the menu buttons on the home page
> >(I can just tolerate www.nzoom.com as while it needs the plugin, you
> >can at least use the site without it). I personally refuse to install
> >the product for security reasons. Could anyone please give an
> >indication of the likely proportion of users who have this installed
> >and the whether corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their
> >internal networks.
> >
> >Thanks

> What are the security reasons?

Yeah sounds like paranoia over a harmless little plugin. I guess you also
don't have Shockwave Flash Player eitther - missing out on such cool games
as Curveball, Miniputt and the George Bush Speechmaker, not to mention the
Michael Jackson Makeup Kit

There are the "allow / deny" settings in Macromedia Flash Player. Are they
something that can be potentially exploited, something to be genuinely
concerned about?

Peter

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:23:19 +1300, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>all my mates have it installed, but at work we have ~1500 machines without
>it, and it has only been installed for a few that need it for medical
>websites.

Thanks, that is 1500 reasons for starters for not using it on general
puropse web sites.

Peter

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:08:38 +1300, "Lebowski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yeah sounds like paranoia over a harmless little plugin. I guess you also
>don't have Shockwave Flash Player eitther - missing out on such cool games
>as Curveball, Miniputt and the George Bush Speechmaker, not to mention the
>Michael Jackson Makeup Kit

Yes, OK if you are into heavy games. However I see no reason for run
of the mill web sites to expect users to have it installed.

Yes, I am paranoid about anything that can put my computing at
unnecessary risk. I do not have time or inclination to research its
safety, nor to clean up the mess if any hole is created.

techie

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:19:26 -0500, max wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:49:04 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Peter)
> wrote:
>
>>I am wanting to take issue with the operator of a web site that
>>requires Flash Player to access even the menu buttons on the home page
>>(I can just tolerate www.nzoom.com as while it needs the plugin, you
>>can at least use the site without it). I personally refuse to install
>>the product for security reasons. Could anyone please give an
>>indication of the likely proportion of users who have this installed
>>and the whether corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their
>>internal networks.
>>
>>Thanks

> What are the security reasons?

For a start, when you view a Flash movie, Flash communicates with
Macromedia for the purposes of piracy prevention. This same
communication could also be used to gather info on which Flash
movies you watched and for how long.

Several spyware products, including RedSheriff, have been able to
take advantage of past vulnerabilities in Flash:

<http://www.comoxvalleysupport.com/cvcs/news.shtml>

Flash Vulnerability Discovered -- Posted on Thursday,
December 19 2002

A flaw found in Macromedia's animation software leaves Web
surfers vulnerable to attack when they visit an Internet site
or, possibly, open an e-mail, a security firm says.

The vulnerability, found by security firm eEye Digital
Security, allows an attacker to create a hand-edited
Macromedia Flash, or SWF, file that can compromise a PC or
Macintosh if its user views the file with the Shockwave Flash
Player plug-in for Internet Explorer, Netscape or other
browsers. The flaw affects the Flash plug-in for browsers on
Windows, Unix, Linux and the Macintosh.

Now, combine that with this from the MacroMedia website:

<http://www.macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/help/privacy/>

What are privacy settings?

Applications that are created using Macromedia Flash may want
to have access to the camera and/or microphone available on
your computer. Privacy settings let you specify whether you
want applications from a particular website to have such
access. Note that it is the person or company that has created
the application you are using that is requesting such access,
not Macromedia (unless Macromedia has created the application
that wants access to your camera or microphone). In the dialog
box shown above, [website] represents the name of the person or
company requesting access.

It is the responsibility of the person or company requesting
access to make it clear to you why they want access and how
they plan to use the audio or video. You should be aware of the
privacy policy of anyone who is requesting audio or video
access. For example, Macromedia's privacy policy is posted at
http://www.macromedia.com/go/privacy. Contact the website
requesting access for information on their privacy policy.

It's important to understand that even though this settings
panel is part of the Macromedia Flash Player, the audio and
video will be used by an application created by a third party.
Macromedia assumes no responsibility for third party privacy
policies, actions of third party companies in capturing audio
or video on your computer, or such companies' use of such data
or information.

If that still doesn't bother you, go to google and type in:

+macromedia +flash +security

And read away.

--
____ ___ _______ ____ ___
/ __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \ / __/ < / http://www.FreeBSD.org

techie

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:49:04 -0500, Peter wrote:

> I am wanting to take issue with the operator of a web site that requires
> Flash Player to access even the menu buttons on the home page (I can
> just tolerate www.nzoom.com as while it needs the plugin, you can at
> least use the site without it). I personally refuse to install the
> product for security reasons. Could anyone please give an indication of
> the likely proportion of users who have this installed and the whether
> corporates as a rule allow it to be installed on their internal
> networks.

I won't use Flash myself. Part of it is security and privacy concerns,
probably the same ones you have. The other part is philosophical - I
just don't want to encourage proprietary standards for displaying
information on the Web. Oh, and I also don't much care for having my
bandwidth and screen space wasted on obnoxious advertising, which seems
to be what Flash is used for 99% of the time.

I'm rooting for Ogg Vorbis to replace RealAudio (which I also won't have
on my system) but I'm not rooting for anything to replace Flash, because
Flash is a PITA solution to a problem that doesn't exist in the first
place.

--

Nicholas Sherlock

techie wrote:
> For a start, when you view a Flash movie, Flash communicates with
> Macromedia for the purposes of piracy prevention.

How can you pirate a free plugin??

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock