Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > wireless KVM transmitter

wireless KVM transmitter

will

hi,

is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
possible?

thanks

will.

Allistar

will wrote:

> hi,
>
> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
> possible?
>
> thanks
>
> will.

It would be nice if there was, and you can do it with the keyboard and
mouse, but the amount of data sent down the VGA/DVI cable is huge and would
probably make doing that impractical (unless you have a wireless network
and use the network transparency built into the X window system).

Allistar.

Jay

Allistar wrote:

> will wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
>> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
>> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
>> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
>> possible?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> will.

> It would be nice if there was, and you can do it with the keyboard and
> mouse, but the amount of data sent down the VGA/DVI cable is huge and
> would probably make doing that impractical (unless you have a wireless
> network and use the network transparency built into the X window system).

But if you modulate the video with an RF carrier then it becomes
perfectly manageable. You have heard of (digital) TV haven't you?

will

okay i have done some searches, and dick smith has this
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto.../product/L5866
more info at
http://www.everbesthk.com/product/tr...igaair2020.htm

i'm not sure if that's what is required to work though.

are there keyboard/mouse that work on a longer range, like 20-30 meters?
i think most of them are only about 5-10 feet.

thanks

will.

harry

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:13:22 +1300, Allistar wrote:

> will wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
>> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
>> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
>> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
>> possible?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> will.

> It would be nice if there was, and you can do it with the keyboard and
> mouse, but the amount of data sent down the VGA/DVI cable is huge and would
> probably make doing that impractical (unless you have a wireless network
> and use the network transparency built into the X window system).
>
> Allistar.

I do it with wireless and a laptop with vnc and rdesktop.
Thats Linux on vnc and Windows XP on rdesktop Allistar, so STFU with the
Windows vs Linux bullshit
I use a SH Dell 12" screen 266MHz laptop running 98 cheap and cheerful.
Or you can build a low noise CPU box with a via eden mobo available from
most vendors.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Jay wrote:

> But if you modulate the video with an RF carrier then it becomes
> perfectly manageable. You have heard of (digital) TV haven't you?

Which has the **** compressed out of it so the end result is barely recognisable
as what went into the compression process.

Jay

Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

> Jay wrote:
>
>> But if you modulate the video with an RF carrier then it becomes
>> perfectly manageable. You have heard of (digital) TV haven't you?

> Which has the **** compressed out of it so the end result is barely
> recognisable as what went into the compression process.

You can transmit uncompressed video if you modulate it on an RF carrier.
A bandwith of 150MHz would do quite nicely.
You can also use lossless compression to make that a lot lot less. Typically
about 20Mhz.

Evil Bastard

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:29:48 +1300, will wrote:

> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
> possible?

If you do find one, please tell us where you live, so some of us can park
outside your house, sniff the datastream, log your keystrokes and screen
images, and get your credit card details.

Jay

Evil Bastard wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:29:48 +1300, will wrote:
>
>> is there a wireless transmitter(?) that can send signals of
>> keyboard/video/mouse from one place to another? i'm planning to get a
>> LCD and some wireless (or corded) keyboard and mouse, so that i can work
>> in the lounge while my (noisy) computer is serving in the room.
>> possible?

> If you do find one, please tell us where you live, so some of us can park
> outside your house, sniff the datastream, log your keystrokes and screen
> images, and get your credit card details.

Looks like we will have to wait for encryption to be invented.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Jay wrote:

> You can transmit uncompressed video if you modulate it on an RF carrier.
> A bandwith of 150MHz would do quite nicely.
> You can also use lossless compression to make that a lot lot less. Typically
> about 20Mhz.

At what resolution? We are talking computer, not TV here.